• Solari board replacement at South Station and Back Bay

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by danib62

I think his critique is of the signs that are in the entryways to north station. They don't list what time the trains are scheduled to leave. My critique is of the signs at back bay which don't list the train's destinations.
  by BW

danib62 wrote:I think his critique is of the signs that are in the entryways to north station. They don't list what time the trains are scheduled to leave. My critique is of the signs at back bay which don't list the train's destinations.
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, the MBTA sets the specifications with the contractor, apparently without asking any of the people who use the station (passengers) or operate the systems for any suggestions or other input. Once accepted by the MBTA, we maintain the systems. I know I have observed that the LED modules in the 'pseudo Solari' boards at both stations aren't consistant color-wise, and that the voice synthesis is still lacking. Haven't observed the content displayed on the North Station entryway signs, though.
  by jamesinclair

BW wrote:
danib62 wrote:I think his critique is of the signs that are in the entryways to north station. They don't list what time the trains are scheduled to leave. My critique is of the signs at back bay which don't list the train's destinations.
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, the MBTA sets the specifications with the contractor, apparently without asking any of the people who use the station (passengers) or operate the systems for any suggestions or other input. Once accepted by the MBTA, we maintain the systems. I know I have observed that the LED modules in the 'pseudo Solari' boards at both stations aren't consistant color-wise, and that the voice synthesis is still lacking. Haven't observed the content displayed on the North Station entryway signs, though.
Yeah, my mistake, I meant the Back bay signs.

From memory, they list Train Number, Destination, Track Number and current time....but not the time in which the train is scheduled to arrive!

Furthermore, each sign only lists 3 trains. So the one over track 2 lists the next three trains on the track, while the signs over the ticket booths list random trains.

Track 2 sign:
XXXX South Station Track 2

Thats it! How is that information?

Heres a picture before it went live
  by BW

Thanks, James and Dan for the input. I remember that cardboard "Track 2" sign at Back Bay - very professional :-).

I assume the original philosophy was to put arrival time in the 'status' area, not just 'on time' or 'delayed' (which isn't even being put there, I assume). I don't know if there might be a disconnect with the entity that updates the info that should be put on the signs.

From my perspective, when we need to service one of those signs, the face swings DOWN, making it necessary for the sevicing tech to lean OVER the sign face from a 6 foot step ladder to service components mounted on the wall mounted portion of the sign. This gets especially dangerous down on the platforms where some of the signs face opposite tracks. One sign was mounted so the tech is FOULING THE TRACK while he services it. Can you imagine having to get form D time to service a sign?
  by 3rdrail

It's the size and weight that's the problem. Not to mention that caveat at the end about being responsible for damage to South Station upon it's removal. I wish that it was one of the old track number signs. I'd be there at the crack of dawn.
  by dbperry

travelrobb wrote:The auction is back up on ebay and listed here. With 16 hours and change to go, it's still stuck at $500.
Somebody won it for $560!
  by jscola30

I hope they read this:
The winning bidder must remove the sign from South Station the day that it is taken out of service and removed from its connections. The bidder is responsible for all costs for transporting the sign and damages caused when removing the sign from South Station when taking possession.
  by danib62

jscola30 wrote:I hope they read this:
The winning bidder must remove the sign from South Station the day that it is taken out of service and removed from its connections. The bidder is responsible for all costs for transporting the sign and damages caused when removing the sign from South Station when taking possession.
I think they mean damages to the sign, not to south station.
  by diburning

danib62 wrote:
jscola30 wrote:I hope they read this:
I think they mean damages to the sign, not to south station.
Or both
  by frrc

I recall the sign sold for $560. Hate to imagine the costs of removing it, crating, and getting it out of South Station...
  by sjd0356

The boards were out of service on Wednesday due to a malfunction in one of the servers that locked out all clerks from posting tracks. It was repaired as of late afternoon Wednesday.
  by Unfixed ShihTzu

ssetta wrote:I was there Thursday, and both boards were off, with only a few things showing here and there. Do you think the removal of the sign(s) will be publicized?
I think people noticing the lack of signs will be publicity enough :wink: