• SLV new max speed

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by BuddSilverliner269

Effective next Monday, the maximum allowable speed for the SLV on Amtrak territory is now 100mph. This is up from the 90 max speed. About time I say!!
  by sammy2009

It's about time. Love riding these things to Trenton that's where the SLV Really show what they are capable of doing. Why couldn't they go this fast prior ?
  by Clearfield

sammy2009 wrote:It's about time. Love riding these things to Trenton that's where the SLV Really show what they are capable of doing. Why couldn't they go this fast prior ?
The timing may have to do with final acceptance and certification

The cars are capable (and have run at) of 110mph.
  by sammy2009

Clearfield wrote:
sammy2009 wrote:It's about time. Love riding these things to Trenton that's where the SLV Really show what they are capable of doing. Why couldn't they go this fast prior ?
The timing may have to do with final acceptance and certification

The cars are capable (and have run at) of 110mph.
Got ya. Does AMTRAK have something to do with it because its on their tracks ? or just SEPTA in general. I work at the airport and i take the AIRPORT LINE. The highest i seen the SLV hit was like 77 M.P.H. It was just flying so i can only imagine on the Trenton Line at 100 M.P.H.
  by Clearfield

sammy2009 wrote:Got ya. Does AMTRAK have something to do with it because its on their tracks ? or just SEPTA in general. I work at the airport and i take the AIRPORT LINE. The highest i seen the SLV hit was like 77 M.P.H. It was just flying so i can only imagine on the Trenton Line at 100 M.P.H.
The actual civil speed allowed depends on where you are. The 79mph speed is actually on SEPTA's tracks. Airport line speeds on AMTRAK are very very slow.
  by sammy2009

Okay, and yeah that 77 m.p.h on the airport line was when the airport line branch off from amtrak...but going on the amtrak side the speeds do tend to be not fast sometimes.
  by zebrasepta

acelaphillies wrote:I agree it's about time. How will this affect the schedules on the Trenton and Wilmington/Newark Lines?
it probably won't since the majority of the fleet are IV's
  by Limited-Clear

The schedules won't change, they still have to consider the IVs as previously stated, even with the new higher top speed you will find a lot of the engineers will deliberately go a little slower so as not to be sitting in a station waiting for time, people naturally start getting antsy when the train hasn't moved for a couple of minutes,
  by acelaphillies

Yes, I was also wondering if the IVs would be the limiting factor in the schedules and then what would happen if the Vs were always arriving early.

What both of you said makes sense and answers those questions.
  by glennk419

What is the MAS for IV's these days?
  by amtrakhogger

glennk419 wrote:What is the MAS for IV's these days?
IIRC, it is 95mph.
  by Limited-Clear

That is correct, it is 95 when they work, so many of them have faults that limit their speed, a lot of the time it is a breaker or relay that trips and limits their speed, it not necessarily due to lack of maintenance, they are just getting old and worn out
  by scotty269

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Effective next Monday, the maximum allowable speed for the SLV on Amtrak territory is now 100mph. This is up from the 90 max speed. About time I say!!
NO BS????!!!
  by BuddSilverliner269

I'm sure our lovely moderator Alex may not like this but I am about to brag and will brag for a moment that I broke the speed limit with these cars as I caught the test train the first night of the speed acceptance testing two winters ago where we did 115mph. Oh hey, this was a meaningful thread that wasn't loaded with nonsense that a certain someone tends to post on this forum but doesn't get told to knock it off and that's no BS!!!