• Silverliner V: Progress Reports

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by King Coal

Does anyone, on the forum, have any updates of the Silverliner V project? Have they finished the plant, in South Philadelphia?; and has Rotem solved its' steel shortage problem? I know when the prototype was on display there were questions regarding the shoddy weld points and build quality. Have these issues been corrected by Rotem? More importantly; will the demo units be ready by the Fall of 2010?; or will the Silverliner II's and III's continue to soldier on pass 2011?
  by aem7

Recent reports indicate that the first 3 "pilot cars" will not arrive until late December '09 or January '10. The rest of the order (117 cars) are to start assembly in S. Philly starting early next year. Now they're about 8 months behind the original schedule. In addition to typical contractor type delays, I'm also mindful that North Korea is an international powder keg with a lit fuse and the first place that would feel those effects would be S. Korea. That would really put the order on hold!
  by Mirai Zikasu

aem7 wrote:I'm also mindful that North Korea is an international powder keg with a lit fuse and the first place that would feel those effects would be S. Korea. That would really put the order on hold!
So, if North Korea terrorizes the world, the Silverliner V delivery will be delayed further. In that case, if we nuke North Korea, does that mean the Silverliner Vs will be done on schedule?
  by scotty269

Mirai Zikasu wrote:
aem7 wrote:I'm also mindful that North Korea is an international powder keg with a lit fuse and the first place that would feel those effects would be S. Korea. That would really put the order on hold!
So, if North Korea terrorizes the world, the Silverliner V delivery will be delayed further. In that case, if we nuke North Korea, does that mean the Silverliner Vs will be done on schedule?
No, they'll still be late.
  by Patrick Boylan

If you're going to assume South Korea will feel the effects of North Korea first I think it's reasonable to assume China and Japan would feel the effects second.
I'm pretty sure if Rotem hadn't gotten the contract that there would still have been a heavy Japanese involvement, so if North Korea caused problems they would also manifest as problems in Japan, and would still mess up this contract.
  by NortheastTrainMan

gardendance wrote:If you're going to assume South Korea will feel the effects of North Korea first I think it's reasonable to assume China and Japan would feel the effects second.
I'm pretty sure if Rotem hadn't gotten the contract that there would still have been a heavy Japanese involvement, so if North Korea caused problems they would also manifest as problems in Japan, and would still mess up this contract.
Or simply SEPTA could have contracted Bombardier :-D . But SEPTA was dropped on it's head as a baby and can't really think too straight haha :P !
  by chuchubob

NortheastTrainMan wrote: ...Or simply SEPTA could have contracted Bombardier :-D . But SEPTA was dropped on it's head as a baby and can't really think too straight haha :P !
Why Bombardier? Kawasaki won the original bid that was illegally awarded to Rotem.
  by Patrick Boylan

Is there anybody who believes that Bombardier is immune to Japanese or Korean upheaval? I suspect that whoever is the prime contractor, there will still be quite a bit of Asian components. I could be wrong. Maybe 100% of what a Canadian company produces is from North America
  by Matthew Mitchell

chuchubob wrote:Why Bombardier? Kawasaki won the original bid that was illegally awarded to Rotem.
Actually, Rotem was announced as the winner the first time around, which is why Kawasaki threatened to sue and have Rotem declared unqualified. The grounds for the action (I've seen the papers) was SEPTA illegally changing the qualification requirements without reopening the process. Initially, there was a requirement for bidders to have experience making FRA compliant stainless steel cars. Rotem lacked that experience, so SEPTA dropped that requirement in the middle of the process. Meanwhile several other builders didn't bid because they didn't meet the experience requirement. Had they known the requirement would be dropped, they might have competed.

Faced with a pretty solid case against them, SEPTA cancelled the contract award and started over with a new RFP, without any requirement for having built FRA cars. Rotem and Kawasaki were virtually equal on cost (Rotem was cheaper for the initial order, while Kawasaki was cheaper if you counted the option cars), while Kawasaki was far superior on technical qualifications (Rotem was worst of the four bidders). Citing their low bid on cost, SEPTA awarded the contract to Rotem.

Remember that if it weren't for those shenanigans, we'd probably have Silverliner Vs on the property by now.
  by ChemiosMurphy

The N. Korea point shouldn't be an issue because most of the worlds computer memory is manufactured in S. Korea and Japan, so a few hundred Silverliners shouldn't be that hard to get here :wink:

If you want to see a joke, check out Rotem's website.

April's here, yet Rotem isn't. It should be interesting to see if NJT does anything with Rotem in terms of the Arrow IV. Also, how late were the N5 cars that resulted in Septa getting the ALP-44?
  by Matthew Mitchell

ChemiosMurphy wrote:Also, how late were the N5 cars that resulted in Septa getting the ALP-44?
Pretty late (though some of the delay was excused, as Gulf War shipping caused there to be no US flagged merchant ships available to bring bodyshells over from Portugal). And overweight too (see superelevation thread). There were enough problems with that contract that the legislative representatives on the board used it as a pretense to try and steer the M-4 contract to AEG (which had a plant in Pittsburgh--ABB's plant is in New York). However, the bid documents were not written in such a way that the late delivery was sufficient to declare ABB non-responsive, and SEPTA didn't change the rules in the middle of the competition, so they had to award the contract to ABB.
  by Nasadowsk

Matthew Mitchell wrote: Actually, Rotem was announced as the winner the first time around, which is why Kawasaki threatened to sue and have Rotem declared unqualified. The grounds for the action (I've seen the papers) was SEPTA illegally changing the qualification requirements without reopening the process. Initially, there was a requirement for bidders to have experience making FRA compliant stainless steel cars. Rotem lacked that experience, so SEPTA dropped that requirement in the middle of the process. Meanwhile several other builders didn't bid because they didn't meet the experience requirement. Had they known the requirement would be dropped, they might have competed.

Faced with a pretty solid case against them, SEPTA cancelled the contract award and started over with a new RFP, without any requirement for having built FRA cars. Rotem and Kawasaki were virtually equal on cost (Rotem was cheaper for the initial order, while Kawasaki was cheaper if you counted the option cars), while Kawasaki was far superior on technical qualifications (Rotem was worst of the four bidders). Citing their low bid on cost, SEPTA awarded the contract to Rotem.
Was it really that solid? i.,e., did SEPTA just ignore the experience requirement, or did they actually release an amended copy of the spec, or update, dropping it. If it's the latter, there's really not much of a case, unless it was RIGHT before bidding, or such, and in that case, I'd imagine a number of other vendors would have complained besides Kawasaki.

I'd be curious what the four bidders were - Kawasaki, Rotem, Bombardier, and Almost? Or was it Siemens?
Remember that if it weren't for those shenanigans, we'd probably have Silverliner Vs on the property by now.
Given the location of Rotem's assembly facility, and the way this all happened, I'm guessing someone told SEPTA that Rotem was going to be the winner, long before the bids came in. That kind of stuff happens all the time, everywhere - Bombardier was quite publicly upset with CDOT/Metro-North's selection of Kawasaki for the M-8, and I bet they were as surprised as everyone else w.r.t. to the selection, and for reasons other than they thought their proposal/price was better than big K's.
  by Red Arrow Fan

Can Septa do ANYTHING right?
  by scotty269

Red Arrow Fan wrote:Can Septa do ANYTHING right?
Give or take 20 minutes, yes.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Nasadowsk wrote:Was it really that solid? i.,e., did SEPTA just ignore the experience requirement, or did they actually release an amended copy of the spec, or update, dropping it. If it's the latter, there's really not much of a case, unless it was RIGHT before bidding, or such, and in that case, I'd imagine a number of other vendors would have complained besides Kawasaki.
They amended the bidder qualification requirements without reopening the process. It was the latter, and it was an open and shut case. It didn't matter to the legal case, since the argument was SEPTA improperly certified Rotem as meeting the qualifications but Kawasaki did obtain depositions from other builders (I think Breda was one) saying they didn't bid because they thought they weren't eligible.
I'd be curious what the four bidders were - Kawasaki, Rotem, Bombardier, and Almost? Or was it Siemens?
Kawasaki, Rotem, Bombardier, and Sumitomo.
Code: Select all
Builder	Tech score	Percent	Cost	Per car
Kawasaki	163/175	93%	$250 M	$2.4 M*
Sumitomo	157/175	90%	$323 M	$3.1 M
Bombardier	132/175	75%	$340 M	$3.3 M
Rotem		125/175	72%	$236 M	$2.3 M

*--note that Kawasaki was the lowest when option cars were included
Given the location of Rotem's assembly facility, and the way this all happened, I'm guessing someone told SEPTA that Rotem was going to be the winner, long before the bids came in.
I have no evidence that did or didn't happen, and I won't speculate on it. Ed Rendell and other elected officials certainly were lobbying SEPTA to give the contract to Rotem.