• Silver Line Dulles WMATA Metrorail progress/pictures

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Sand Box John

"JDC"
Due to changes in stormwater treatment regulations in VA, phase II of the Silver Line requires some tweaking - adding to its cost. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr- ... lver-line/

One of the comments under the Washington Post story asked the same questions I have.

• WHO specifically changed the rules?
  • WHAT were the OLD rules and WHAT are the NEW rules?
  • WHEN did they change?
  • WHERE do the new rules apply?
  • WHY did they make the change?
I will also note, the Washington Post and the media in general has routinely failed in resent years to report the background details on the what and why in many of their articles.
  by mackievlzpro

The Dulles Day Plane Pull is this Saturday (The 20th) for anyone interested. Good opportunity to come and check out progress on the airport property. And a fun day of touring Dulles. Also, for anyone who enjoys pizza, my friend will be returning to defend his title of champion.
http://planepull.com/
  by JDC

Sand Box John wrote:"JDC"
Due to changes in stormwater treatment regulations in VA, phase II of the Silver Line requires some tweaking - adding to its cost. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr- ... lver-line/

One of the comments under the Washington Post story asked the same questions I have.

• WHO specifically changed the rules?
  • WHAT were the OLD rules and WHAT are the NEW rules?
  • WHEN did they change?
  • WHERE do the new rules apply?
  • WHY did they make the change?
I will also note, the Washington Post and the media in general has routinely failed in resent years to report the background details on the what and why in many of their articles.
Hopefully a bit more information from a WAMU story: http://wamu.org/news/14/09/16/silver_li ... egulations
  by Sand Box John

Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project progress update e-mail 10 03 2014

Columns for Guideways Going Up at Dulles as Crews Prepare to Widen Saarinen Circle for Airport Station

Crews prepare to pour concrete into an aerial guideway column.
Photo by Capital Rail Constructors

Phase 2 rail construction crews are making significant progress, primarily at Dulles Airport.

Trees have been removed along Autopilot Drive (near the car rental agencies) to clear the way for the aerial guideway that will carry the overhead tracks. Trees along Saarinen Circle have been relocated in preparation for construction of the Dulles Airport Station in front of Parking Garage 1. And, utilities relocations are well underway.

Aerial Guideway Work: Construction of the piers to support the guideway is clearly visible with more than 36 drilled shaft foundations in place, to date. Crews have installed 15 columns and five caps, creating structures that resemble large mushrooms. The work has now moved out onto Autopilot Drive.

A roadway is being built through the undeveloped north end of the Airport to accommodate the heavy construction equipment necessary to construct the guideway out onto the Dulles Greenway.

Trees removed from the Dulles Station site will be replanted in other locations at the airport.
Photo by Capital Rail Constructors

Dulles Airport Station: Crews are preparing to realign Saarinen Circle, near Parking Garage 1, to make room for the start of mass excavation for the Dulles Airport Station. In addition, work on water and sewer lines for the station require the temporary relocation of Shuttle Bus stops in front of the garage. The underground walkway that connects Parking Garage 1 to the terminal will remain open for business while this work is underway.

Other Stations: Preliminary work to prepare the Innovation Center and Herndon station sites for construction are scheduled to begin in October and November, respectively.

Horsepen Bridge Area: Shoulder and temporary lane closures are scheduled to begin on the Dulles International Airport Access Highway (DIAAH) in October to facilitate construction of an in-line bridge that will cross Horsepen Run in the median of the highway (just west of Route 28). Details will be released as the dates of the work are set.

According to Capital Rail Constructors, the design-build contractor for the stations, tracks and systems of Phase 2, there have been more than 650,000 man hours recorded thus far with no recordable safety or environmental incidents.

Airports Authority Names Charles Stark New Chief of Dulles Metrorail Project

Charles W. Stark has been selected as the new executive director of the Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project, overseeing construction of the 11.4-mile Phase 2 extension of the Metro Silver Line from Reston, Virginia, through Washington Dulles International Airport to Ashburn in Loudoun County, Virginia.

Stark succeeds Pat Nowakowski, who resigned earlier this year to become president of the Long Island Railroad in New York.

"The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority is fortunate to have someone of Charles Stark's broad experience in transit construction and engineering in this position as we complete the Silver Line project," said Airports Authority President and CEO Jack Potter. "He will be instrumental in achieving our goal of providing top-quality transportation infrastructure for the National Capital region."

Phase 1 of the Silver Line began passenger service on July 26, extending the Washington area's Metrorail public transit system into Tysons and Reston.

Silver Line Ridership Ahead of Projections

Less than two months after opening, the Silver Line is already performing at 60 percent of the ridership that was projected for the end of the first full year of service. An average of 15,000 riders are entering the system at the five new Silver Line stations on weekdays for a combined 30,000 trips to or from the new stations, Metro says.

Silver Line ridership had been projected to reach 25,000 boardings at the five new stations after one full year of service.

Metro estimates that the Silver Line is currently adding approximately 6,000 new riders -- making roughly 12,000 trips -- to the Metrorail system each weekday. The balance, approximately 9,000 riders, are primarily former Orange Line riders who have switched to the Silver Line.

Wiehle-Reston East remains the Silver Line's commuting powerhouse, having already surpassed first-year ridership projections with 8,400 boardings, or 16,800 weekday entries and exits. With convenient bus transfers, a secure bike room and a large parking garage, Wiehle-Reston East's commuters make up around half the line's ridership.

Tysons Corner Station is one of the few stations on the Metrorail system where ridership is higher on Saturday than regular weekdays. The station is the second busiest new station on weekdays with about 5,300 entries and exits, but Saturday ridership has been even higher. On Sept. 20, Metro reported 7,449 entries and exits at the station.

The Greensboro Station is located in the median of Route 7 in Tysons Corner.
Photo by Larry Levine, WMATA

Rail Yard Contract Goes to Hensel Phelps

Hensel Phelps Construction Co. of Chantilly has been awarded the contract to design and build the rail yard and maintenance facility for Phase 2 of the Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project, known as the Silver Line.

Hensel Phelps' $252,989,000 price proposal was determined to meet all necessary requirements and was the lowest of the four received by the Airports Authority.

Package B, the design-build contract for the rail yard and maintenance facility, is the second and final major contract for Phase 2 of the Silver Line Project. Package A, which includes the construction of six stations, 11.4 miles of track and guideways and wayside components, was awarded in May 2013 to Capital Rail Constructors, a team consisting of Clark Construction Group and Kiewit Infrastructure South Co.

$1.28 Billion TIFIA Loan to Help Hold Tolls at Current Levels for Now

The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority has closed on a $1.28 billion low-interest U.S. Department of Transportation 'Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act' (TIFIA) loan for the portion of Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project funded by revenue from the Dulles Toll Road.

The Airports Authority applied for the TIFIA loan in conjunction with its local partners on the Metrorail Project, Fairfax County and Loudoun County, which are finalizing their segments of the loan.

The closing was the culmination of a months-long team effort and represents $1.28 billion of support for users of the Dulles Toll Road, whose toll payments help fund construction of the Silver Line extension of the Washington region's Metrorail public transit system.

"The Airports Authority and our project partners made securing a low-interest TIFIA loan a top priority, because of the financial benefits it offered to the Dulles Toll Road users and taxpayers. Thanks to the favorable interest rates the loan provides, as well as the financial commitment from the Commonwealth of Virginia, the Airports Authority will be able to hold tolls at current levels through 2018 and limit future toll increases," the Authority said.

###

Link to PDF version not yet posted at Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project web site.

Couple comments:

I think MWAA got a pretty good deal on the Dulles Yard contract. The Branch Avenue Yard Cost WMATA roughly two third less back in 1999, Dulles Yard will be four time larger in storage capacity, 6 times time larger servicing capacity, have a heavy repair shop and paint shop to name just a few facilities there.

Larry Levine, the photographer that took the picture of the Greenboro station has been employed by WMATA sense the 1980s.
  by JDC

Sand Box John wrote:
Couple comments:

I think MWAA got a pretty good deal on the Dulles Yard contract. The Branch Avenue Yard Cost WMATA roughly two third less back in 1999, Dulles Yard will be four time larger in storage capacity, 6 times time larger servicing capacity, have a heavy repair shop and paint shop to name just a few facilities there.

Larry Levine, the photographer that took the picture of the Greenboro station has been employed by WMATA sense the 1980s.
John - any idea why the yard came in at such a good price? No corners cut, I hope.
  by Sand Box John

"JDC"
John - any idea why the yard came in at such a good price? No corners cut, I hope.

My best guess is MWAA gave the contractor far more leeway in the design and engineering of the various buildings facilities. I also believe much of the cost of the grading of the site has mostly been paid for as fill material to level the site is the spoil from the construction of phase I.

With the exception of the commissioning facility in Greenbelt Yard and the new shop building in New Carrollton Yard everything else was designed and built the same way. All of the structures in yards previously built were concrete block that supported the weight of the roof around the perimeter. Internally they look like the inside of a Wal*Mart or Home Depot.

The commissioning facility and new shop are steel frame structures with light weight exterior curtain walls.
  by Sand Box John

Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project, Pictures 10 13 2014

Now that thing have calmed down after the opening of phase I we are going to settled back into the routine of describing how things are proceeding on phase II.

Construction on phase II is presently confined to Dulles Airport property north of Aviation Drive. Roughly 40 column are in various stages of construction. At this writing 12 have column cap on them, 16 are at or nearly ready for column cap the remainder are rebar cages sticking out of the ground. The 4 column that will carry the elevated over Autopilot Drive north of Rudder Road have not been holed to bedrock yet along with the 6 north of Aviation Drive along Air Freight Lane. Do to the weather I was unable to see exactly how many columns have been driven to bedrock between Windshear Road and the Dulles Greenway.

The casting plant site on the airport property used to make the post-tension segments for phase I is presently being used as a material lay down area. Not sure if it will be used by the phase II contractor for the same purpose, will check the area on my next visit.

Test track and Commissioning Facility

The new buildings in Greenbelt Yard are complete. Not sure how far along the fitting out of the equipment in commissioning facility is.

Grading to prepare for the roadbed on the test track is still proceeding south of Greenbelt Road. The surface cable trough for the test track signaling and train control system has been installed adjacent to inbound track E2 from the interlocking south of the Greenbelt station to just north of Greenbelt Road.

###

Pictures at picasaweb.google.com/cambronj DCMP 10 13 1014.

Pictures at picasaweb.google.com/cambronj Greenbelt Test Track and Commissioning Facility.

Captioned thumb nails along with the above and past essays can be view at cambronj.blogspot.com DCMP 01 19 2014.
  by JackRussell

Sand Box John wrote:Do to the weather I was unable to see exactly how many columns have been driven to bedrock between Windshear Road and the Dulles Greenway.
That's kind of a shame about the weather. And the problem is that when they start building the piers between Windshear and the yard, they will be in an area that will be rather difficult for us to access and photograph. At least until they are working in an area visible from the Greenway, but the tolls there are high enough that I am not inclined to make a special trip just to take pictures. My very rough guess is that this part of the work (just the piers) will be done sometime next summer.

I am assuming that they will start building piers to the east of the Airport station after all of that is complete, but there isn't anything stopping them from starting that part of the work sooner. But if you assume that they wish to minimize inconvenience and disruption to people at the airport, it makes sense that they finish the stuff going through the woods first.

In some of your photo captions, you mention "Aviation Drive", but don't you mean "Autopilot Drive"? The last time I was there, they were only building north from the parking lot at the end of Air Freight Lane.

Any day now they will start construction of some of the stations, but I have not yet seen any sign of anything worth noting.
  by Sand Box John

"JackRussell"
That's kind of a shame about the weather.

Should have made the trip the day before.

And the problem is that when they start building the piers between Windshear and the yard, they will be in an area that will be rather difficult for us to access and photograph. At least until they are working in an area visible from the Greenway, but the tolls there are high enough that I am not inclined to make a special trip just to take pictures. My very rough guess is that this part of the work (just the piers) will be done sometime next summer.

I intend to hoof it to get pictures north of Windshear Road. Might make inbound trips on the Greenway to get both pictures of the Ashburn station and the west yard lead and main line flyovers of the Greenway. Haven't been on the Greenway to see how far off the shoulder I can go. I can use my 200mm lens from the VA-606 overpass to get pictures of the west lead junction and flyovers. The view from the VA-606 overpass is similar to the view from the Idylwood Road overpass, the biggest exception being there is no fence on the VA-606 overpass.

I am assuming that they will start building piers to the east of the Airport station after all of that is complete, but there isn't anything stopping them from starting that part of the work sooner. But if you assume that they wish to minimize inconvenience and disruption to people at the airport, it makes sense that they finish the stuff going through the woods first.

Me thinks the sequence of the elevated construction is because they intend to stage the laying of the track from the yard and work east.

In some of your photo captions, you mention "Aviation Drive", but don't you mean "Autopilot Drive"?

Thanks for catching that error, correction made.

The last time I was there, they were only building north from the parking lot at the end of Air Freight Lane.

When I was out there on opening day of phase I, nothing was out of the ground and they were only drilling to bed rock along Autopilot Drive north of Rudder Road.

Any day now they will start construction of some of the stations, but I have not yet seen any sign of anything worth noting.

I saw no activity along the Access Road or the Greenway.
  by Sand Box John

"YOLO"
Ashburn and Sterling sounds good to me, I have no idea where this "Loudoun gateway" stuff started popping up from

Those of us that have lived in the region for more then 35 years would not consider the area north of the airport and west of VA-28 as Sterling even thought that area is within the Sterling postal code. We see Sterling as the area boarded on the North by VA-7 on the west by VA-28 and on the east by the Loudoun, Fairfax County line. Hell the Innovation Station is closer to Sterling proper then the VA-606 station. Back in the day after Reston was built out, VA-28 was still 2 lanes and Metrorail was 2 lines on 18 route miles there was nothing between VA-28 and Leesburg but corn and soybean fields, a hand full of cattle ranches and dairy farms and pine forest.

"Loudoun gateway" = First station west of the airport in Loudoun County.

My chose was Ashburn for the 772 station primarily because that's what I have been calling it for the past 10 years.

I chose Broad Run for the 606 station because it made better sense then Morgan Road which is what I have been calling it for those same 10 years. Broad Run passes under the Dulles Greenway a little over 500 yard west of the site of the 606 station.
  by The EGE

I would go with Old Ox Road for 606, and Mooreview or Moorefield for 772. The 772 station isn't particularly close to Ashburn center.