• Scrapping has begun

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Chris Brown

JDC wrote:
srepetsk wrote:
Chris Brown wrote:So, with 80 of the 7k's on site.. 64 of those are needed to have enough cars for the system. This means Metro really has only 16 new rail cars available to replace 1k's.
And not really even that. At least 22 vehicles have been decommissioned and 22 others accident-damaged. So the 7Ks need to plug these holes first before replacing cars.
You would think so, but I wonder if Metro is just extremely eager to a) have more reliable trains in service, even if there are less overall trains running, and b) to be able to close the NTSB requirement that it ditch the 1000-series. So, maybe it might make sense to wait, but I bet there is incredible pressure to have them gone before we reach the 10-year anniversary of the Ft. Totten crash.
I agree about the NTSB requirement. With all the recent safety issues and the Federal Government stepping in to apply additional pressure on Metro to improve safety.. I'm sure they will not keep the 1k's in service a minute longer than they have to. However, I heard they plan to keep 60 of the 1k's on the property post retirement.
  by Sand Box John

"Chris Brown"

I agree about the NTSB requirement. With all the recent safety issues and the Federal Government stepping in to apply additional pressure on Metro to improve safety.. I'm sure they will not keep the 1k's in service a minute longer than they have to. However, I heard they plan to keep 60 of the 1k's on the property post retirement.

According to this document (5.49 MB PDF file) none of the serviceable cars will be preserved.
  by Chris Brown

Sand Box John wrote:"Chris Brown"

According to this document (5.49 MB PDF file) none of the serviceable cars will be preserved.
Overall I'm happy to see them go. Once they could no longer run as entire trains, I stopped liking them. They don't look good mixed with later series models and the other series don't look good mixed with them.
  by YOLO

Why are they holding onto some of the 1Ks? Seems odd if they'll never be used for revenue service again, and why not preserve the 5Ks that will be retired instead?
  by tommyboy6181

YOLO wrote:Why are they holding onto some of the 1Ks? Seems odd if they'll never be used for revenue service again, and why not preserve the 5Ks that will be retired instead?
The only thing I could think of for this is potentially doing a work car conversion. As for the 5k, they have less of a MDBF rating than the 1k cars ever had post rehab back in the early-mid 1990's. Basically the 4k and 5k cars are the worst performing in the entire fleet. Had the 5k cars not been rushed as they were, there may have been a different long term result.
  by Sand Box John

"tommyboy6181"

The only thing I could think of for this is potentially doing a work car conversion. As for the 5k, they have less of a MDBF rating than the 1k cars ever had post rehab back in the early-mid 1990's. Basically the 4k and 5k cars are the worst performing in the entire fleet. Had the 5k cars not been rushed as they were, there may have been a different long term result.

Fabrication was halted on the 5k cars during production to correct many of the issues WMATA discovered during testing after delivery of the first few cars. Some of the car were shipped back to Hunt Valley to correct defects.
  by Backshophoss

If memory serves;there's 1pair of 1k's used as the "Money Train",keeping 1 other pair of 1k's as the replacement for that pair makes sense.
Believe the question becomes will the FTA allow Metro to keep some 1k pairs as work train equipment.
Sending a pair of 1k's to a museum,is likely a lost cause.
  by Sand Box John

"Backshophoss"
If memory serves;there's 1pair of 1k's used as the "Money Train",keeping 1 other pair of 1k's as the replacement for that pair makes sense.

Actually there are 2 pairs that are configured for revenue collection. 1010 - 1011 and 1044 - 1045 are now 8000 - 8003. The revenue collection train is typically operated in a 4 car train, a pair of the revenue collection cars coupled to a pair passenger carrying cars.

I think United Iron & Metal in Baltimore would part with some of them for the right price.
  by DiscoveryAnalysis

Sand Box John wrote:"Backshophoss"

Actually there are 2 pairs that are configured for revenue collection. 1010 - 1011 and 1044 - 1045 are now 8000 - 8003. The revenue collection train is typically operated in a 4 car train, a pair of the revenue collection cars coupled to a pair passenger carrying cars.

I think United Iron & Metal in Baltimore would part with some of them for the right price.

Not 100% but I've heard that the NTSB will not close that recommendation until ALL the 1Ks are gone including the revenue collection cars, I heard there's a possibility that 6 or 12 5Ks will be converted to replace the collection cars and will run as dedicated consists in the future
  by JDC

DiscoveryAnalysis wrote:

Not 100% but I've heard that the NTSB will not close that recommendation until ALL the 1Ks are gone including the revenue collection cars, I heard there's a possibility that 6 or 12 5Ks will be converted to replace the collection cars and will run as dedicated consists in the future
That make sense to me. Obviously it will cost some money to reinforce any 5ks used as new money train, but it may just make sense to ditch all 1000-series cars and keep a handful of 5ks around for money train or work vehicles, since there is no NTSB requirement governing those vehicles.
  by Chris Brown

JDC wrote:
DiscoveryAnalysis wrote:

That make sense to me. Obviously it will cost some money to reinforce any 5ks used as new money train, but it may just make sense to ditch all 1000-series cars and keep a handful of 5ks around for money train or work vehicles, since there is no NTSB requirement governing those vehicles.
At the very least they should save trains numbered 1000-1001. The original 1K pair is still in service today. I saw them about two months ago on the red line. The very first Metro railcars ever built. They should be saved and put in a museum. If not the pair, then at least #1000. I see no reason not to. Its part of Washington DC's history. In 100 years people will look at that rail car the way we look at antiques today. And if they make it an exhibit you can walk into and sit down in, that's even better.

To be honest.. they never should of rehabbed #1000-1001. Those cars should of been saved back in the 90's.
  by Sand Box John

"JDC"

Why would they need to be reinforce? The only physical modification made to 1k car was the removal of the seats, carpet, grab polls and the installation of the tie down hooks for securing the revenue carts.
  by JDC

Sand Box John wrote:"JDC"

Why would they need to be reinforce? The only physical modification made to 1k car was the removal of the seats, carpet, grab polls and the installation of the tie down hooks for securing the revenue carts.
I am almost 100% positive that either here or in a story at GGW it was mentioned that the flooring in these cars were reinforced to carry the huge weight of the carts. The trains also need to be modified because they have shotgun racks in them.
  by Sand Box John

"JDC"
I am almost 100% positive that either here or in a story at GGW it was mentioned that the flooring in these cars were reinforced to carry the huge weight of the carts.

If memory serves, the original floors are plywood, if what you say is so then they replaced the original plywood with plywood that can support more pounds per foot.

The trains also need to be modified because they have shotgun racks in them.

To me adding gun racks is not much different in the realm modifications then the removing of carpeting and seats.