• Saratoga & North Creek Railway (ex-UHRR) - 2011

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by trainman895

Dick H wrote:The southbound "New York Express" arrived at Saratoga a few minutes late.
A few passengers got off and tbere were others staying put in the dome. The
train had one dome and two double decker coaches. Power was the 8524.
After detraining passengers on the passing track, the train pulled south of
platform area and the engine cut off and ran around using the main line.
Lots of chatter with the CP dispatcher. There was a public address announcement
several times that the train was sold out.

Amtrak southbound Ethan Allen arrived on time. About 50 passengers boarded,
many with lots of luggage and despite loading through two doors, boarding seemed
slow. Once the EA cleared the signals south of the station, the "Hudson Explorer"
pulled up to the platform. Using the only available door, boarding was very slow
and the train was 15 minutes late leaving.

With 50 passengers waiting for the Ethan Allen and a full train for the S&NC, the
Saratoga station area looked like a scene from days gone by. Soon after the S&NC
train departed, a southbound CP ethanol train sailed through the station with four
units and one spacer and 80 tank cars. A sign posted at the Amtrak counter stated
that today's southbound Adirondack #68 was also sold out. Busy morning at Saratoga.
Gonna have to start railfanning there. lol.
  by tahawus84

Here are some pics of the plow and other car in tahawus. It is a shame to see whats happend to the plow
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
  by tahawus84

more from like 5 years ago, i hope that nice headlight ended up in a good home
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
  by railwatcher

I took a ride two weekends ago on this railroad. There was a big effort by the crew to make sure everyone was pleased. We rode in the dome cars to North Creek, which I felt were not as user friendly as the coach cars we were in on the southbound ride. The view was outstanding, the ride was smooth. Saw the BL2 #52 sitting at North Creek as well as two old Alcos marked UHRR. I visited with an employee, (formerly from Falls Road RR) he stated, a second BL2 was enroute, and that he would like to be running the Alcos. Also an E8 was on its way on CSX rails from somewhere out west. The Dome cars offered a good view, although the windows are badly etched from acid rain or neglect. The coach cars actually gave a much better ride, and are cheaper than the domed "dining" cars. A very customer oriented operation. They did say there were more equipment upgrades to come. Track was smooth, CWR for most of the ride, it
appears that most of the crossing protection was new. Many operations forget the customer(rider) and just go through the motions. At Saratoga and North Creek, they make sure you are comfortable and satisfied. I wish them a successful venture. I will be setting up a group tour to include Saratoga and NorthCreek and Lake George Boat tours as a weekend getaway in 2012 for my companies motorcoach travel and tours, so I guess you know we were quite pleased.

Greg
  by eolesen

The Arizona Eastern E8 was originally Chicago North Western, just in case there's any confusion with the AZER's SP paint... ;)
  by trainman895

Anybody know the status of the bl-2? When or if they're going to put into service?
  by Paul

If they are smart, never.
  by traingeek8223

From what I understand the BL2 is just waiting on new window glazing and ditch lights. Probably one of those situations where they will get to it as soon as possible.
  by Palmerfalls

Sat, Oct 15, 2011 -
Sun, Oct 16, 2011
10:00 am - 6:00 pm (4:00 pm Sunday) 1st Annual D&H Rail Fair
YOU'RE INVITED The North Creek Depot Museum invites you to step back in history, pay tribute to ‘the oldest continuously operated transportation company’ the Delaware & Hudson railroad and its Adirondack branch, and enjoy the 1st Annual D&H Rail-Fair, October15th & 16th at the North Creek Depot. The Depot in North Creek originally served the Adirondack Railroad and later both the D&H and Canadian Pacific railroads. Walk the grounds of the last complete D&H Terminal. View exhibits featuring the D&H and its operations on the Adirondack Branch. Many are one-of-a-kind and some are never before exhibited pieces of railroad history. Vendors showcasing D&H merchandise, a slide show featuring passenger and freight operations on the Adirondack Branch and much more are available. View: • The 1872 Depot (Museum) • A working and in-service Turntable • The Engine house and Maintenance house • Tour what may well be the last remaining original milk car (800-847) of the D&H era. The Depot itself is ‘still-in-service’ serving as a museum. Stand where Theodore Roosevelt stood when he learned that he had become the 26th President of the United States upon the death of William McKinley. Listen to the story of his frightening Midnight Ride to the Presidency, and how as the youngest person ever to serve as President (good history lesson here) he continues to impact the office of President. See the recently added timeline of the ski industry in New York State including the first tow ropes and the famous ‘Ski Trains’ of the 1930s which will be coming back this year (yes you’ll be able to catch the train to ski country from the capitol district) . Train buffs, and children of all ages, will enjoy the 300+ sq ft HO model railroad exhibit (built by Dunham Studios) with 96’ of main track plus back-and-forth featuring North Creek exactly as it looked in 1934 when the first Ski Trains arrived. Admission for both days is $7.00 ($10 per family). Still haven’t had enough ‘trains’ there’s a bus tour to Barbara and Clarke Dunham’s brand new Railroads on Parade Museum located in nearby Pottersville. Railroads on Parade features over 50 trains and 2,500 ft of track. The Railroads on Parade trips are 3 hour ($15) trips and will be offered on Saturday and Sunday (tickets available at the museum). The new Saratoga and North Creek Railway offers a scenic train ride from North Creek to Hadley. The train leaves North Creek both days at 12:30 PM and returns at 3:15 (round trip cost is $19 coach and $40 Dome car). Had enough railroading? White Water rafting is available Sunday morning Great Escape Water Park is right down the road in Lake George Visit the Garnet Mines and pan for semi precious gems. A golfer? Cronin’s Golf Resort is located only 27 minutes away. Or you could simply stroll through historic North Creek and visit the quaint shops and enjoy a memorable lunch or dinner and any of the several excellent restaurants in town. Festivities start Saturday morning at 10:00 AM (it’s ok to come early) and end Sunday at 3:00 PM. Special pricing is available at local motels and restaurants. For additional information call 518-251-5842 or email [email protected] We’ll be lookin for ya
$7.00 (Optional side trips)
  by thebigham

https://www.sncrr.com/

Due to the movment Hurricane Irene, the Sunday August 28th trip for Thomas is CANCELLED.
Your tickets will be honored on our other Thomas dates, please call 866.468.7630 to rebook.
  by Jack Shufelt

My wife and I rode to North Creek and return today and we were most impressed with the operation. Had breakfast going and dinner on return, both great. FYI the 821 Alco switcher at Saratoga was started up and tied on to the rear of No. 183 tonight for movement to North Creek.

Anyone know the history of why the main line derail was installed at mileage 39.44? I assume that this was established a number of years ago during D&H operations.
  by Jack Shufelt

From the D&H Forum.

The split-point derail was installed when the Town of Corinth bought the track.
CP policy requires a derail for foreign lines that approach CP property on a
grade. Derail will remain until a power operated one is installed at CPC-38
(similar to the one from CSX Bull Run Connector at CPO-1) Al 8-17-2011
  by Littlefoot14

Wow, i suppose its time to bump this thread. Ive got a ton of questions, hopefully someone here can help me out with these. In advance, i apologize if any of these have been asked and answered before. 21 pages is simply alot to look through.

Anyways, whats the plan for 6070? I personally hope to see it get repainted but it seems odd that they would ship it up to North Creek to only have to eventually send it back out for paint. Unless they have a way to do it on-site?

Whats going on with the other dome car? When i visited before the line opened it was out of the consist and to the best of my knowledge hasnt appeared sense. Are they just saving it until ridership needs it or is there something wrong mechanically?

Right now SNC has, i believe, 3 locomotives, plus the ALCo for switching. 4 locomotives, plus possibly a second BL2 on the way (?) seems like a lot for a railroad that is currently only running 3 passenger cars. Can someone comment on this?

Are there any plans to expand the consist with more cars?

What is going on with the UHRR motive power? Id love to know whats going to happen to #5 and the RS.

I hope to see some frieght action on the line before to long. I wonder if the B39-8 will be moved to freight service (if it happens) and perhaps let the BL2 and the E unit handle the passengers equipment?

I absolutely love the SD90MAC and its variations. CP owns some but they keep them around Montreal when they arent up for sale. I know Iowa Pacific owns some SD90s, is there any chance any of those might make it up here if freight service ever gets off the ground? If not, what do you expect to see for freight locomotives?

Thanks for any help!
Matt