• Saratoga & North Creek Railway (ex-UHRR) - 2011

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by csxjs

I found them using 160.785 for calling to dispatch when they depart a station and report their passenger count. It sounds like it was dialing a phone number to contact dispatch and it even once said "your call could not be completed as dialed- please check your number and dial again. I think i heard something on 161.385 but im not positive.
  by ticker

I took the 10AM train to North Creek ( from Saratoga) today (Monday). I must say this whole operation is first class. I rode in the Dome car and had breakfast on the way up. The food is very good and moderately priced. The staff is very polite and attentive. These people know how to do it right. I would say the Dome car was 80% full going up and almost 90% full on the return trip at 3.45PM. I really could not venture a guess on the numbers in the other cars. I saw people getting off and on in Hadley and Thurman. The train also let somebody off at a RV park near Thurman.
I had a short conversation with one of the young ladies who works as an attendant on the train. (she was a local). I guess it is the companys aim to tranisition local people into most of these jobs over a period of time. The young lady also told me they are doing pretty well numbers wise .(ridership) The only negative I could say is that the Station Museum was closed. This is staffed by Volunteers. I would think it would be in North Creeks best interest to have this open when the trains are running.
  by westriverrr

I too rode the dome today (Monday) and will post a mostly positive longer report when I get time. I was disappointed that the station museum was closed - that was one of the reasons I rode to North Creek. And here is the railroad giving North Creek a huge boost, and it doesn't appear that the town really cares - no "Welcome train folks - here's how to spend three hours in our little town - no packets given out on the train with coupons to track usage - I get the idea that the local Chamber of Commerce has dropped the ball on this. Here's close to a 100 visitors most days looking for a place to eat or shop - and they want more than the Rite Aid and the local supermarket (there was one great gift shop we went in near the station).
  by traingeek8223

Rode this train on Saturday. I agree, first class all the way. Dome was near full north and south. I did see a couple signs in North Creek welcoming S&NC passengers. I was disapointed to see all the empty buildings in downtown. Guess the economy has hit them hard. Hopefully the train will help that. I was suprised to see breakfast/lunch/dinner searved on the train. Next time I'll skip breakfast at home. I would caution people from getting too critical . Remember its early in the opperations and while the railroad has there act together and is doing a first class job, everyboby else (the comunities) is feeling their way through it. If you are in the area and have a day to spend this is a must see. Look for expanded opperations in the near future.
  by trainman895

I rode out on opening day a couple weeks ago and there was a welcoming committee at north creek. People were handing out flyers for free drinks in town, bike rentals were there and transportation up the hill as well. The museum was also open and is definitely one of the things to go to when up there. That really surprises me that it isn't open that much. They definitely need to fix this problem. We also had no trouble spending three hours up there between talking to the locals, getting a GREAT lunch at the Copperfield and swimming/wading in the Hudson. One thing I would hope that the railroad brings in would be a baggage car to bring canoes, kayaks and tubes like the adirondack scenic does. Seems like a waste to have all that track along the hudson and not offer anything like that. Definitely check the line out though!
  by westriverrr

Four of us took a ride on the Saratoga and North Creek from Saratoga Springs to North Creek, Monday, August 1. I’m posting the following to a couple of the internet boards:
I’m sure my observations will give some observers some matters to chew over.

First, if you are expecting the usual rock and roll tourist line using old Lackawanna commuter cars with diesel stink coming in through the open windows and branches brushing your elbows you’re in for a surprise.

We boarded dome car SLRG 508 Matanuska for the 10 am departure. The upstairs was all tables with booths mostly for four passengers at each, with several sideways arced tables which would hold five or six. Every table was covered with a linen tablecloth, had real silverware wrapped in a linen napkin, and a little flower in a vase by the window. On the table was a breakfast menu containing various home-cooked entrees at a very reasonable price. Diners were instructed to write their choices on the forms provided, which brought back memories of my rides in name-train diners 50 years ago. Had we known that a reasonably priced full breakfast was available we would have not eaten before boarding.
The servers were dressed in black and white, reminiscent of the waiters of long ago.

It was not long after departure before I realized that riding backwards was not what I wanted for viewing the passing scenery, which is mostly a tree tunnel until halfway to North Creek where the train breaks out along the Hudson and the pretty ride begins. I think to have half the car with conventional forward facing seating would work better for those who don’t want to eat. So we “hogged” a table all the way to North Creek. With the dome being directly behind the engine, SNC 8525, the glass had a fairly ample accumulation of GE diesel soot on the outside. Whenever the train accelerated we would be enveloped in a dark, sooty, cloud, with the stink coming in through the AC. There is a BL2 parked at North Creek that may see use on this train and hopefully it won’t smoke so much. I’ve even seen a rumor of an E unit.

Arrival was in North Creek was close to the advertised. It would be charitable to say that North Creek is offering much for train visitors, unlike the train to Silverton, which has a good deal going on during the layover. We found a good spot for lunch, reasonably priced, and found one shop that was interesting to shop, but after about an hour, we wandered back to the station with two more hours to kill. One of the reasons we wanted to go to North Creek was to visit the museum at the station and find out about Teddy Roosevelt and his connections with North Creek. For some reason, the museum was closed, and many of the passengers were quite disappointed. Obviously, North Creek is not taking advantage of the generous infusion of visitors arriving by train. No”walking tour” brochures distributed on the train, nobody from the Chamber of Commerce on the platform. You couldn’t even get a cold soda in the part of the station that was opened and appeared to be the operations center for the railroad. The soda cooler was full of supplies for the diner on the train.
So maybe North Creek will wake up. A musician on the platform around train time would be a nice start.

So everybody sat, and sat, and sat, until the train left at 3:45. While the local septic service was pumping out the tanks under the dome car, there was some kind of disfunction, and the downstairs carpet at the toilet end of the car became soaked so the smell riding back to Saratoga Springs was not going to be nice. As upstairs in the dome car was full we went downstairs into the center dining area and were told we could only stay there if we bought food. Also, the AC had malfunctioned down there so we went and sat downstairs in the bilevel coach, where it was cool and roomy, and you could actually see more out the downstairs windows. Between the toilet issue, being urged to depart the dome car downstairs, and the lack of AC, it reminded me very much of another passenger railroad. And the bathroom in the coach was out of service - the sign directed you to the soggy bathroom downstairs in the dome car.

But I was in for a real treat. It had been years since I was “allowed” to stand in the vestibule with the Dutch door open. If you are a true lover of the rails, that is hard to beat. With the six wheel trucks clattering over the loose joints almost under you, the aromas of the forest blended with an occasional whiff of diesel, and the horn blowing at the grade crossings, that can be hard to beat, at least for me.

All in all, we’d all do it again, but not in the cruise train dome. The ex-Long Island commuter cars were actually more comfortable - but might not be the case of the coach was fully loaded with its 3 and 2 seating.

But virtually all the employees, with one exception, were very friendly and appeared to enjoy chatting with passengers.

I was surprised to see that extensive reconstruction at the North Creek depot had resulted in high level platforms, with easy access to the parking lot and the village. Also, some of the intermediate stops appear to have spanking new stations, or at least shelters. There was a passenger in a wheelchair, and he had no difficulty getting off the train in North Creek. Getting on the train in Saratoga Springs was another matter. I don’t understand how there can be a beautiful new station in Saratoga Springs with no high level platforms. Politics?

Finding the S&NC ticket counter in the station took a little hunting. Our reservations, made on line were in order, and the lady was very friendly.

We took our ride on their fifth day of service, and they are apparently satisfied with ridership, Obviously they have bugs to work out, and will most likely adjust equipment types, schedules, and service levels, as experience dictates.

We all owe a big debt to the Iowa Pacific folks for taking what I think is a considerable financial risk. Let’s hope the businesses in North Creek take the ball and run with it.
  by Noel Weaver

Missing out on riding this splendid line this year, the first year except for 2006 since my retirement that I haven't made the trip north to Upstate New York. I did ride the line back in maybe 1973 or so on a D & H trip with three PA's and a big train and it was a beautiful ride then too. I also remember the line years later when it was not in use and there was trees and everything else growing up around the track. New York State now has two class operations in the Adirondacks and both deserve full support of not only the riding public and tourists but railfans too.
Noel Weaver
  by westriverrr

Yes, railfans should support this. Wandering around the North Creek yard would be of great interest, with its active turntable. You can spend a day in the dome car for considerably less than the cost of a tank of gas.
  by Jack Shufelt

North Creek Depot Museum
5 Railroad Place | North Creek, NY 12853-0156
Phone: (518) 251-5842
Email: [email protected]

Here is a link to the museum in North Creek. Communications to them by those who were disappointed might wake up the folks.
  by ticker

The Museum by itself is an end point for Tourism for North Creek. It is like having a steam engine without a tender . (not being open) I won!t be redundant so I will say no more on the Museum. The poster from wardsboro mentioned the raised platforms at the North Creek station being put in during the reconstruction of Depot. I don!t believe that was the case. The original depot had raised platforms. What we saw was just new planking. There are some excellent pictures of the old station in Jim Shaughnessys book "Delaware & Hudson." Also Michael Kudishs book " Where Did The Tracks Go In The Eastern Adirondacks " Volume three. I have seen pictures of most of the Stations with the exception of Corinth. They were all similar in design (raised platforms). For some reason any Railroad Depot in Saratoga never had raised platforms. The original Depot (before the 1954 track relocation) , was at grade also. This was located about 2 miles from the present Amtrak station. The original Adirondack Railroad Station( before the D&H took over the line) is still in Saratoga. It is now a house. However if you look real close you can see the likeness to the photo.There is a Historical Marker on the front lawn. The original point from the D&H main line in Saratoga has also been relocated through the years (that is a whole other story). The Amtrak station today is owned by the Capital District Transit Authority. They also own the Amtrak station in Rensselaer. The same Designer did both buildings.
  by andre

Littlefoot14 wrote:Hello,

I joined this forum to share my insight on this topic. I live about 30-40 minutes from North Creek. I was there on Thursday afternoon and drove past the station. I can confirm that SNCR 8524 was on site along with both ex-Alaska coaches and both ex LIRR coaches. They were parked behind the old lumberyard looking buildings. Both UHRR Alcos were still on site. Another Alco switcher was on site as well. It was red, white, and blue. It seemed familiar, but i wasnt sure so ill mention it anyways. One Alaska coach was parked over on another track next to UHRR #5. 8524 was coupled to the LIRR coaches and one Alaska coach. I dont remember if the Blue switcher was on the end of the consist or if it was on another train. The marker lights on the LIRR coach were lit. I took photographs, which i can share if anyone is interested.

I travel through North Creek about twice a month. Ill be happy to share what i see and know with the people here. I look forward to following this thread and communicating with the people of this forum.

-LF
That 'Red White and Blue" Alco switcher came from the Staten Island Railway (MTA). her and her sister was retired when the new Brookville BL20s were delivered, Im glad to see she found her self a good home
  by Mr.S

I just returned home after a spending a week in Saratoga Springs,NY with my brother, other than the shops, the race track we took a ride on The newly formed SARATOGA and NORTH CREEK RY. While looking at the passenger cars my brother and I were attempting to figure out where the cars came from,though I recognized one An?/Mckinley Explorer from ALASKA where did the other cars come from?