• Salem Action Alert

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by BostonUrbEx

Trains on Track 2 at Castle Hill having been blowing the horn coming around the curve alongside the empties stashed on the lead. Neighbors will love this.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

BostonUrbEx wrote:Trains on Track 2 at Castle Hill having been blowing the horn coming around the curve alongside the empties stashed on the lead. Neighbors will love this.
Strange, because they're parked pretty far out of the way on the CH lead, not close to the interlocking at all. Per new posting today on NERail: http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ex=4&key2=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by GP40MC1118

BO-1 did not pick up the 18 cars at Castle Hill again! Came back with 4 cars
to Somerville. They now got outbound cars stashed on the 3rd Iron at 3rd Ave
all the way up the west leg of the wye to Innerbelt Road again!

D
  by BostonUrbEx

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:Trains on Track 2 at Castle Hill having been blowing the horn coming around the curve alongside the empties stashed on the lead. Neighbors will love this.
Strange, because they're parked pretty far out of the way on the CH lead, not close to the interlocking at all. Per new posting today on NERail: http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ex=4&key2=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proximity to the interlocking is irrelevant to use of the horn. The cut of cars is only about a car length away from the mainline's (but not the lead's) home signals, though.
  by highrail

In one of my infrequent trips to the Somerville area today I was able to spot the cars that had been brought back to the area and the ciment cars and some additional open hoppers. I seem to recall that they used to store cars on the tracks next to the Sullivan orange line station. It looks like the tracks are there, but are they out of service? Amazing how a few years shows such limited storage tracks in the Boston area.

Steve
  by deathtopumpkins

highrail wrote:In one of my infrequent trips to the Somerville area today I was able to spot the cars that had been brought back to the area and the ciment cars and some additional open hoppers. I seem to recall that they used to store cars on the tracks next to the Sullivan orange line station. It looks like the tracks are there, but are they out of service? Amazing how a few years shows such limited storage tracks in the Boston area.

Steve
The tracks next to Sullivan were used within the last couple months. I'm not sure what logic (if any) there is to Pan Am's decision where to store cars, but I would be surprised if those tracks were suddenly out of service.
  by BostonUrbEx

Been out of service for a while now -- that is what is referred to as Yard 21 in this thread. Some sort of pissing contest over who should pay to put the tracks back in service.
  by GP40MC1118

BO-1 cleaned out Salem and Somerville Friday night...52 empties to Lowell...

D
  by Badandy

Yaah, both the plant and North St.............clean.
  by Badandy

This AM, 4 plus MTs behind fence at the plant in Peabody. What a difference 1 day makes.....
  by deathtopumpkins

BostonUrbEx wrote:Been out of service for a while now -- that is what is referred to as Yard 21 in this thread. Some sort of pissing contest over who should pay to put the tracks back in service.
Any idea when it went out of service? I have definitely seen cars next to the OL station within the past few months.
  by GP40MC1118

Yard 21 tracks (3rd & 4th Irons) beyond Sullivan Square/Boston side of Cambridge St bridge) went out of service sometime in Fall 2016

D
  by doublebell

Seven empties off Allen's Lane today
John, the gut in the blue car with the wing on back
  by doublebell

Six bones on the tail track off Allen's Lane this morning.
John, the guy in the blue car with the wing on back
  by doublebell

Today there were 4 empty bones and an acid on the tail off Allen's Lane
John, the guy in the blue car with the wing on back