• Rohr RTL III Turboliners: Status, Location, Disposition

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Tadman

Supposedly one or two french turbos are sitting in a Dugger, Indiana scrap yard.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 856&nseq=0

by mikeydc03

Are those trains in Dugger still owned by Amtrak or have they been sold for scrap?

by Tadman

Definitely sold for scrap. I can't imagine why they haven't been cut up with the high price of scrap steel in the last few years.

by John_Perkowski

Latest Google Maps photo coverage of Dugger Indiana shows nothing vaguely approaching a passenger train. If the scrapyard is in the wye, then they are certainly gone.

Google indicates nearest salvage yard on live rail is over by Sullivan. There is something that could be a railcar about 200' from rail.

by AgentSkelly

http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=24515

This is from last year...I don't know if they are still there or not as I no longer live in New York state.

by hsr_fan

I think that RTL II has since been moved indoors at Super Steel.

by DutchRailnut

Why would they ?? the contract is cancelled and Super Steel is now building multi engine switchers for UP.

by David Benton

didnt they get paid something like $ 14 million to store them ?

by DutchRailnut

Did not see anything on that but store them does not mean indoors.
they need their manufacturing space too and not to store stuff.

by John_Perkowski

I cannot tell you when the latest maps.google.com airphoto was taken, but there is a pair of power cars, back to back, in the current image. Beyond that there are some cars sitting on various sidings which are passenger length.

by David Benton

" N.Y. PAYS $5.5M TO DERAIL TURBO-TRAIN PLAN

ALBANY — The state has agreed to pay a Schenectady company $5.5 million to kill a project to build seven Turboliner trains that were to serve on a high-speed rail corridor between New York City and Albany.

Last month, the state Department of Transportation agreed to pay the money to Super Steel Schenectady Inc. to end the project. The money would cover remaining costs and move four unfinished trains into storage.

The state has already spent $64.8 million on Super Steel's work on rebuilding the 1970s-era Turboliners. Three completed trains Amtrak claims are not suitable for service have been put in storage. "

Bit out on the fiqure , and it doesnt say where theyre been stored .

by DutchRailnut

since that article is 2 years old, its safe to assume the money was spend and not renewed. , next storage space is either Bear or naporano.

by hsr_fan

If you or I threw $70 million in taxpayer funds down the toilet, we'd be in jail. We need to start demanding accountability from our politicians.

by DutchRailnut

your in PA so their not your politicians ;-)

by Railjunkie

Went by Super Steel a couple of days ago and nothing has been moved indoors. They are still outside exactly were they have sat for the past 2 plus years.