• Report SEPTA Delays Here:

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Malvern Metroliner

Jonathan Lai, Inquirer Staff Writer wrote:A man was killed Tuesday afternoon when he was struck by a SEPTA train in Middletown Township, Bucks County.The man, who had not been identified Tuesday night, was struck on the West Trenton Line shortly before 2:30 p.m., SEPTA spokesman Andrew Busch said. Authorities were still investigating, he said and could not immediately say whether the death was a suicide or accident.
The train was just south of the Langhorne station, traveling from Philadelphia to West Trenton, when it hit the man. SEPTA police are assisting Middletown police in the investigation.

About 60 passengers were on the train, Busch said, with no reported injuries. The rest of that train's route was canceled. Passengers could take the next train, which came through about an hour later.

The man was hit on outdoor tracks running near ground level, Busch said.
Article Here
  by zebrasepta

Broken rail on the Paoli/Thorndale Line this morning
Thorndale: Service will operate with shuttle buses between Thorndale and Downingtown due to a broken rail
  by Levittowner

No service between Warminster and Hatboro for police activity, did someone get hit or is it related to the pizza place shooting this morning in Warminster?

And 3441 on the West Trenton Line is starting at Neshaminy Falls. Looks like someone got hit north of Neshaminy Falls. http://www.phillyburbs.com/my_town/bens ... 16935.html
  by nomis

yuppers, someone got whacked right before 1pm ...
  by Matthew Mitchell

The Warminster incident related to a suspicious unattended bag.
  by zebrasepta

Matt
Do you know what piece of equipment has been having problems lately? I got a a whole list
Today- Trenton: Train #758, scheduled to depart Trenton at 4:39 pm is operating 15 minutes late due to an equipment problem.
1/15- Elwyn: Train #2359, which departed 30th St. Station at 4:38 pm, currently delayed up to 10 minutes due to equipment problems.
Elwyn: Train #2359, which departed 30th St. Station at 4:38 pm, currently delayed up to 10 minutes due to equipment problems.
1/14 Thorndale: Train #588, scheduled to depart Malvern at 7:00 pm, departed 10 minutes late due to equipment problems.
etc.
There's a longer list but I'm not gonna post it
  by Matthew Mitchell

zebrasepta wrote:Matt
Do you know what piece of equipment has been having problems lately?
I didn't see any obvious patterns in the December reports. If anything, the PPs have had fewer problems recently.
  by BuddCar711

Train #209 R2 Wilmington (SL-IV consist) taken out of service @ Marcus Hook due to overheated wheels. Train #211, (also SL-IV) which normally termiates @ Marcus Hook, wrong railed all the way to Wilmington.
  by khecht

BuddCar711 wrote:Train #209 R2 Wilmington (SL-IV consist) taken out of service @ Marcus Hook due to overheated wheels. Train #211, (also SL-IV) which normally termiates @ Marcus Hook, wrong railed all the way to Wilmington.
What would cause wheels to overheat? Brake pads not releasing completely and causing friction at speed?
  by BuddCar711

khecht wrote:What would cause wheels to overheat? Brake pads not releasing completely and causing friction at speed?
Brake shoe, acutally (the SL-IVs do not have disc brakes, or at least yet), but that would be my guess. Apparently the SL-IVs have wheel temperature sensors, and the sensors detected wheel overheating, and the conductor comfirmed it by putting a thermometer on the wheel, and it melted the thermometer. I do not know how often this happens, but maybe an engineer would know firsthand.
  by Matthew Mitchell

What interlocking are they working on these weekends on the Norristown Line?
  by gregorygrice

SEPTA RRD alert as of today (1/24/13 @ 12PM): Service to Wilmington/Newark has resumed. Passengers are to board trains at 30th Street Station lower level. Expect delays of at least 20 minutes. Also the Airport line is suspended.

I don't know if this has been asked before but are SEPTA engineers already qualified on lower level trackage?
  by ekt8750

gregorygrice wrote:SEPTA RRD alert as of today (1/24/13 @ 12PM): Service to Wilmington/Newark has resumed. Passengers are to board trains at 30th Street Station lower level. Expect delays of at least 20 minutes. Also the Airport line is suspended.

I don't know if this has been asked before but are SEPTA engineers already qualified on lower level trackage?
It has. I believe (and someone correct me on this if I'm wrong), there is a qualification run every morning that covers the lower level trackage.
  by gregorygrice

RRD: Airport Line suspended until further notice

The Wilmington/Newark Line is boarding at the LOWER level of Amtrak's 30th Street Station.
  by westernfalls

Matthew Mitchell wrote:What interlocking are they working on these weekends on the Norristown Line?
The new one with two crossovers just east of Miquon. (Or maybe it's south these days.)