• Redundancy for NEC

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by drewh

Last weeks accident and subsequent closure between Phl and Nyp makes you wonder why we don't have some redundant service options, at least for emergency situations.

For example some options that come to mind:
1) service into Hoboken if something happens with tunnels.
2) service along RVL to Bound Brook then south to West Trenton - remember there are dual modes available now.
3) service from Trenton through Morrisville yard then connecting at Woodbourne to the West Trenton line.
4) Hbg service along the Trenton cutoff direct to NY with stops in the northern suburbs.

Shame we had better service decades ago. At least these would be nice options for emergency situations. It's also not like these rail connections do not already exist.
  by Greg Moore

There's not much redundancy and not much money for it.

For example, NJT has dual modes now, Amtrak doesn't. And NJT can't free up its equipment for Amtrak.

And honestly, in most cases, busses are probably adequate.

That said, Amtrak really does need to work on the Portal Bridge and North River Tunnel work. If those were lost for any substantial period of time it would be hugely disruptive. (It would make last week look like a walk in the part as far as disruption went)
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Thu May 21, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Immediately Preceding Nesting Quote
  by R36 Combine Coach

Having service diverted to HOB is an option that should be considered.

As for alternate routes for the NEC, there's always the former B&O main line between New York and Washington which is largely parallel.
  by TrainPhotos

The line between pennington (east of west tenton) to I think up near bound brook is all single track. I get the feeling that one track would not be enough to handle all the demand to keep some semblance of NEC volume and all the freight moves...
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Is there even a need to spend substantial capital funds on this given how rare disruptions are lasting more than a few hours? The North River Tunnels are the only failure points that completely seal off any commuter rail workarounds, which worked quite well with SEPTA's and NJT's cross-honoring of Amtrak tix last week. I can't see how raiding NJT for dual-mode power when it's got a power shortage or gumming up SEPTA with extra congestion is anything but a cure worse than the disease.

If there needs to be workarounds then I think filling the commuter rail gaps is going to be more worthwhile given that the benefits to commuters would be daily instead of once every X-year freak events. Stuff like some fed grants for the Inland Route restoration, since that floats its own as a distinct and useful state-sponsored AMTK route, not just a one-off Shoreline backup route. Or getting MARC and SEPTA to touch, for example. Or encouraging the buildout of the NJT West Trenton Line (hell, if SEPTA had any mutual interest in a joint venture on run-thru's that's a poor-man's Clockers right there that might make both agencies some decent money for a downmarket price point under-served by the Regionals these days).

I just think events like this are so rare that--Gateway aside--massive outlays for the sake of NE Regional redundancy and little more is asking the wrong questions. Shoring up the reliability of the infrastructure is what's going to prevent the most disruptions. Moving on Gateway is what's going to prevent the scariest of all possible disruptions. And filling in the commuter rail + Inland/SPR-BOS shuttle extension gaps are the ones that tap the most unique commuter-oriented ridership that proves useful for cross-honoring in a disruption but slugs its weight as distinct services every single day...even if most of them aren't under the AMTK umbrella.

About the *most* I could see as a possibility are an investment in pantograph dual modes that have utility beyond the Empire Corridor. But that's a decision that trails all other loco orders by a few years. And if Amtrak opts to buy panto duals while the MTA buys 3rd rail duals for its mass order, the decision is probably going to break along the lines of there being some modular make (like a Sprinter/Charger hybrid) where serving up a DC or AC version is as simple as swapping out some internal compartments and the cost ends up neutral. Something we also can't speculate on until the Request for Proposals bids come in a few years from now, so out-of-sight/out-of-mind at present for this particular redundancy question.
  by SRich

If Congress increase the budget of Amtrak, then they can maintain a state of good repair.

Why is congres reluctant to do that, cut's some billions from the deparment of defense. Problem fixed :wink:
  by srock1028

drewh wrote:Last weeks accident and subsequent closure between Phl and Nyp makes you wonder why we don't have some redundant service options, at least for emergency situations.

For example some options that come to mind:
1) service into Hoboken if something happens with tunnels.
When there is a problem on the High Line or one of the Hudson River tunnels, NJT diverts MidTown Direct trains on the M&E into Hoboken to relieve congestion.
  by TrainPhotos

I guess some people would initially say divert amtrak to hoboken, but amtrak trains using hoboken would face significant challenges. They would need to be serviced of course, but they would also need some way of addressing the single ended operation (no push-pull aside from keystone). I would say end some amtrak trains at trenton, and others at newark penn. Maybe the ones with baggage could end at newark penn, and everything else at trenton?

I feel that using the line between west trenton and bound brook is a fantasy, not just because of logistical issues, but amtrak crews are not qualified to my knowledge anywhere on that line...
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Thu May 21, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Immediately Preceding Nesting Quote
  by srock1028

TrainPhotos wrote: I guess some people would initially say divert amtrak to hoboken, but amtrak trains using hoboken would face significant challenges.
I don't think Amtrak trains can not go into Hoboken due to the voltage changes in the catenary from 12Kv to 25Kv at the Waterfront Phase Gap.
  by SRich

NEC has also 3 changes 12 kV~ 25 Hz, 12 kV~ 60 Hz and 25 kV~ 60 Hz
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Thu May 21, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Immediately Preceding Nesting Quote
  by TomNelligan

Hoboken has the same 25kV, 60Hz system that Amtrak uses east of New Haven so there shouldn't be any issues with the power switchover. But capacity and servicing issues would remain as discussed above.
  by Steampowered

im all for reactivation of West Trenton line , that is my admitted bias. But i think doing that would relive pressure on the NEC and make for better options to NJT. If they just opened the Hillsborough station. It would totally serve a demographic. They would seriously need to consider catentary . But if there is a problem on the NEC which seems to happen once a month in some fashion, Diverting an amtrak thru west trenton would an ideal reason. Evenually west trenton will be added to the river line, so if they are diversions , it be easier.
  by Jeff Smith

SRich wrote:If Congress increase the budget of Amtrak, then they can maintain a state of good repair.

Why is congres reluctant to do that, cut's some billions from the deparment of defense. Problem fixed :wink:
You're kind of stating the obvious, right? :-D

ADMIN NOTE: I know the post is tongue in cheek, and I welcome you to the site, but let's not go down this road. Yes, Amtrak needs more funding. Or more efficient priorities. It's an old argument.
  by mtuandrew

Someone mentioned the Camden & Amboy, and I think it's a shame that Conrail ripped out the center section. It has limited use as a passenger secondary, with or without catenary, but would have been a really nice secondary main for NS at the Conrail split. Anything to get a little more traffic off the NEC.