• Red Line Collision between Ft Totten and Takoma on (6/22/09)

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Tom6921

Or could the operator been on their cell phone? Someone has to ask that with the rash of transit operators being in accidents while on thier cell phones.
Matt_S wrote:Terrible news, I'd hate to speculate but could the operator of the second train have fallen asleep like in Woodley Park?

Prayers go out to those involved
Last edited by Tom6921 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by tommyboy6181

8:21pm- WUSA: The NTSB will be on scene within 15 minutes. DCFD heavy rescue trucks are being brought in.
  by tommyboy6181

8:35pm- WUSA: Sources for Channel 9 are stating that there may still be 1 additional body remaining in the train. If confirmed, this would bring the fatalities to 7.
  by donredhead

The Car seems to have Telescoped. I Thought that Telescoping accedents were something I read about in the 1890s not 2010
  by tommyboy6181

8:42pm- WUSA: 2 MARC trains have just passed through the accident scene. This may have been done for testing as it has not been announced if passengers are able to travel through that stretch. Also, lights are being set up for night operations at the scene. Train #214 was hit by Train #112, which were both 6 car trains.
  by tommyboy6181

The Car seems to have Telescoped. I Thought that Telescoping accedents were something I read about in the 1890s not 2010
It's not the first time a car has telescoped in an accident. Back on November 3, 2004 with the Woodley Park accident, a Rohr 1000 series car also telescoped and landed on top of a Breda 4000 series car. Here is a link to that story with a picture included: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... 4Nov3.html

In this case, a Rohr car landed on top of a CAF car.
Last edited by tommyboy6181 on Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by tommyboy6181

8:49pm- WUSA: 76 people now injured and were taken to local hospitals. The trains were heading towards Shady Grove.
  by the-rail-life

They aren't ATC all the time. There's still a human factor, as we see. Or something else could have happened. Briefing now.
  by tommyboy6181

8:55pm- WUSA: Another briefing of the accident is about to begin now.
  by Fan Railer

service to resume tommorow afternoon
trains on manual
intervals extended