• Rain prompts cancelation of Greenport Scoot

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by de402

Is this lame or what? Harran Coach replaced the 1:27 out of Southold.

by DutchRailnut

The rain or results of the rain, could track be flooded or maybe a small washout or so, railraods don't shut down a line to be lame.

by Dave Keller

What kind of rain are we talking here?

Sufficient water could have created a washout of roadbed, thereby forcing the train to be cancelled.

What are the facts?

Dave Keller

by RRChef

The rain has been coming down hard all day here with heavy rain right now over the Twin Forks. There has also been wind gusts up to 50 mph. Aside from some large floods on roads there's also tree branches down. I definately could see lower sections of track being covered with water today. As mentioned above the LIRR doesn't cancel service unless there's a problem and today would be a good day for problems!

by Dave Keller

Sounds to me like a good reason to cancel service!

Might as well be safe than sorry. Don't need any derailments with personal injury and equipment damage when a cancelled train could avoid all that.

At least from what was originally said, the customers DID have some transportation and were not stranded.

Dave Keller

etc

by Noel Weaver

Extremely bad weather can also knock out crossing signals which would
result in a very slow, cumbersome and dangerous operation.
Sounds like they did the right thing to me.
Noel Weaver
  by Clemuel

trees doen and not enough guys with chainsaws to get them all so called out the buses.

Clem
  by de402

I guess I could buy the "weather" excuse from a reputable concern, but hey what can I say? Rain in the past alone was enough to knock out the pride of the fleet.

Undetered I talked the Mrs. into staying at my folks a bit longer and took the 6:26 instead. At 6:27 the vernerable DE 411 and her one trailer and cab car carried a near full house to KO for our entertaing ride back home.
  by Noel Weaver

de402 wrote:I guess I could buy the "weather" excuse from a reputable concern, but hey what can I say? Rain in the past alone was enough to knock out the pride of the fleet.

Undetered I talked the Mrs. into staying at my folks a bit longer and took the 6:26 instead. At 6:27 the vernerable DE 411 and her one trailer and cab car carried a near full house to KO for our entertaing ride back home.
With remarks like this, you sound like you would be the first to complain if
you were on a train that got badly delayed with brush on the track, slow
orders due to a water situation and frequent stops to flag crossings.
Conditions like this are not new, nor are they an exclusive of the Long
Island Rail Road.
This is a major holiday weekend, the heaviest travel days of the year and
I am sure the LIRR is only too anxious to run trains rather than buses
even on this lightly traveled line.
Noel Weaver

by jayrmli

I believe it was a problem with the equipment. The line was open, and a freight ran over it earlier.

Jay

by Fla East Coast Chris

Hi Jay,
Problem with the equipment LOL It never breaks down in the rain!!! :-P
Chris
  by de402

With remarks like this, you sound like you would be the first to complain if you were on a train that got badly delayed with brush on the track, slow orders due to a water situation and frequent stops to flag crossings. Conditions like this are not new, nor are they an exclusive of the Long Island Rail Road.

Mr. Weaver,

Acutally, I'm a pretty patient person. To answer your question, no I would not be the first to complain if the train had been delayed, at least there would have been a train. That was my point BTW.

What really infurates me is that the RR pulls this crap all the time out east. Equipment problems all the damm time. The old crap equipment that everyone misses, almost never broke down as often as this new garbage. Those trains may not have had heat, the best seats, or any ventilation but at least they ran.

When one of these "equipment failures" happens, the RR puts some poor sap out at the taxi stand. Meanwhile passengers have to guess where the hell they are supposed to go. LIRRGuy or Gal is usually is not in uniform, usually talks on a hand held radio to someone while ignoring questions etc. Then over the station PA while the automated announcement says that the GY train is "operating on time" somebody is yelling "passengers to the taxi stand".Then whatever company that has the bus contract usually sends someone who most likely doesn't have a clue where the stations are (last month RR put us on buses and we literely drove around in circles until we found 495). Anyway, if I had wanted to ride a bus, I would of purchased a Sunrise Coach ticket. The RR only has to worry about two trains a day to protect out east, how hard it that to do when you've got 44? DE's floating around? This is hardly a way to attempt to increase ridership, especially when fares may be rising again.

As for trees and water, MOW has done an extensive amount of trackwork out east the past two years and conditions are pretty good. And as Jay mentioned, there was a freight earlier.

Regards,

Eric Tyrer

by JoeLIRR

Eric Tyrer,

How woud you feel if RMLI had the 39/1556 running and able to fill in the blanks that the LIRR leaves out there.

if they so want to get rid of east of KO the soffulk or RMLI should get trackage rights and run smthing for the people out there.

yes, i know its creative thinking, and there are probly a load of laws that would prohibit it, but that would aid in the "no service" problems.
IE. w/ a speical agrement the RMLI train(that should be running NOW!!) can be used by the people of greenport - KO.

( if you tell the MTA/LIRR a 100% logical idea thell think your a lunitic. how ever if they master mind the worlds most stupidist idea with absoultly no logig to it. then thell folloe through with the "rediculas" idea)

by tushykushy

if they so want to get rid of east of KO the soffulk or RMLI should get trackage rights and run smthing for the people out there.
Dude, you ain't gonna be seeing that o'l RS-3 or Locomotive 39 running anytime soon if they were to give RMLI rights to that strip of track :P

by emfinite

Can't we all just think in realistic terms for once? Snap out of dreamland and realize the railroad is screwed whether they use DE30ACs or RS3s (let alone a steam locomotive!). Oh, using an RS3 and 60 year old Pullman coaches will do the trick to improve service, that's a definite answer! It may seem like a cool idea in theory, but just about every commuter out there and probably half of the LI railfan base will look at you cockeyed.