• Rail Rodeo 2013

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by boomer

Rumor has it the #2512 bomber coach will be on display sporting it's new interior.
  by CNJGeep

boomer wrote:Rumor has it the #2512 bomber coach will be on display sporting it's new interior.
Interesting that they're waiting so long to churn these cars out. Is it a mechanical overhaul, or just an interior remodel?
EDIT: Silly me, I just realized that the international rail rodeo is today.
  by Clearfield

boomer wrote:Rumor has it the #2512 bomber coach will be on display sporting it's new interior.
Rumor is correct. It's on 0 Track at Fern Rock. Beautiful interior rehab similar to an SLV and more seats sans the now-removed bathroom. Outside stripe changed as well.
  by KAWASAKI-FAN100

LED interior lights, new seats, new flooring, etc. The members who worked on the team that VOH these cars told me the first 35 push-pull coach cars out of 53 will be VOH.

by BuddCar711

Nice interior. I'm wondering why didn't they retrofit it with LED signs? Another question is that will the the Comets be getting that interior?
  by CNJGeep

BuddCar711 wrote:Nice interior. I'm wondering why didn't they retrofit it with LED signs? Another question is that will the the Comets be getting that interior?
The Comets will be lucky to be anything but razor blades at this point.
  by askclifford

I am surprised they did not install LED screens as well.
I will say (bracing for criticism) that the current INTERIOR bus LED screens would have been an easy install and look good.
  by Limited-Clear

The LED screens would have been nice however I think there is more to it than just fitting the screens, it would need the computer hardware to go with it, remember these are just coaches without a power source, the computer system if installed like on the Vs would need the ability to have information transmitted to them, to each car as well as they are not fixed formation, this means installing some sort of WiFi, GPS would also be needed for the screens to update as the train moves, with no power source constantly going to the cars the info would only come to the system when the engine was added, adding and removing power is asking for system failure with it not booting up properly (we all have computer style devices so we all know what that's like), I am sure Septa looked at doing it but may have weighed the pros and cons and decided it would be too expensive and too much hassle.

Screens like transit has would have worked as they work on NJT, but does septa want another oddball system and item to maintain? All in all glad they are refurbing these things, now if they would just run them with less stops on those express trains as they are really meant for long high speed running not start stop "almost" local service.
  by Matthew Mitchell

Did they install passenger counters (think that would be a first on a vestibule car) or surveillance cameras?
  by nomis

Re: the exterior ... Insert Disco Stripes Here :-)
  by KAWASAKI-FAN100

Matthew Mitchell wrote:Did they install passenger counters (think that would be a first on a vestibule car) or surveillance cameras?
No security cameras, no passenger counters. I also forgot to mention these cars have a new HVAC system as well.
  by glennk419

nomis wrote:Re: the exterior ... Insert Disco Stripes Here :-)
I had the exact same first impression. Maybe that's the first step for NJT taking over the SEPTA RRD. :P
  by ex Budd man

I don't care about the PP cars,who won the rodeo? Rumor is Septa won, just rumor.
  by ex Budd man

this just in fom Septa.

As the host property for the 2013 APTA International Rail Rodeo, the pressure was really on for the SEPTA Team and they did not disappoint at the competition held Saturday, June 1, 2013 at our Fern Rock Maintenance Facility.

We are very pleased to announce that our Local Rail Rodeo winners upset the competition and took top honors with the overall Team Achievement Award.

Congratulations go to the Broad Street Operator Team of Adrian "Sonny" Mapp and Sharon Mapp (our first husband and wife Champs) and the Maintenance Team representing Fern Rock -- Rob Brooks, Don Chakow, and Nick Baldassarre (Wayne Junction).

In taking the Team Achievement Award, our winners showed the home town crowd and teams from around the country their professional pride and drive for excellence.

We are so proud of their achievements at the International Rail Rodeo and their accomplishments meeting the needs of our customers.

The 2013 Rail Rodeo Team Achievement Award was the final milestone for SEPTA in the APTA Triple Crown – Outstanding Public Transportation System (2012) and Bus Roadeo Grand Champions (2013) – and all of this was made possible by the hard work and dedication of SEPTA employees.

Thank you.
  by Clearfield

ex Budd man wrote:We are very pleased to announce that our Local Rail Rodeo winners upset the competition and took top honors with the overall Team Achievement Award.
If you also consider that SEPTA won the APTA Outstanding Public Transportation System Achievement Award, its a Triple Crown!