• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by F74265A

Perhaps a dumb question but I don’t know the answer- why the 40 car limit?
  by NHV 669

Crew is OD at 1700 at NMJ, apparently running to Keag as L072. 7620 is part of the consist, maybe someone else can confirm these details.
  by newpylong

Yep, they were watching the forward facing camera in Billerica today for this historical event. 25 MPH NMJ to Winn (Keag)
  by mrj1981

Video posted of the first train rolling northwards, past the Bangor waterfront, with 47 cars in tow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvc0pyhhlHU

Sounds like the cars were brought to NMJ by a turn job out of Waterville; the cars were then forwarded to Keag by the turn job seen here. So still a three-stage process to get cars from Rigby to Keag (PO to WA to NM to MA); I can only assume CSX will work to simplify and expedite this process in the months to come.
  by newpylong

Gotta fix the rest of the track first NMJ to WVille and any 10s south of WVille.
  by bostontrainguy

Do you know if they are restricted to 25 mph for a temporary break-in period? Heavy 136 lb CWR is 60 mph on other CSX routes.

Got the above post just after I posted. So they aren't finished yet. Thanks.
  by F74265A

Stb filings said csx was going to run class 2 speeds -25mph-generally on PAR, except in passenger territory. And there are some spots of old jointed rail left, such as just south of the yard at keag
  by mrj1981

I suppose a sensible way to run that section of railroad might be to have a WA-PO-WA turn, and a matching WA-MA-WA turn, that exchange cars at WA. That would potentially allow you to run PO to MA and back daily, with only two crews used. But it would involve the WA-MA-WA crew doing 220 miles... which will be 9 hours at a straight 25 MPH. Seems tight to me, esp if there are any slow orders or if there is switching to do en route (as surely there would be at MA, and maybe also at NM). On this basis, I'd expect CSX to try for at least some sections of 40 on both sides of WA.

Pure speculation, I know.
  by newpylong

F74265A wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:41 pm Stb filings said csx was going to run class 2 speeds -25mph-generally on PAR, except in passenger territory. And there are some spots of old jointed rail left, such as just south of the yard at keag
It's other than main track east of Winn to the connection with the NBSR so what little jointed rail they left wouldn't have much bearing on that. They only put heavy new rail in the yard itself because NBSR made them.
  by newpylong

bostontrainguy wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:58 am Do you know if they are restricted to 25 mph for a temporary break-in period? Heavy 136 lb CWR is 60 mph on other CSX routes.

Got the above post just after I posted. So they aren't finished yet. Thanks.
Afaik they did not do enough surface work to really get it to Class 3 and there isn't really enough tonnage to justify it at the present. Their goal is to get the whole thing to 25 (with new rail) to start. Not a Pan Am 25 that implodes every spring, but a reliable 25 with no slow downs.

I do know they have plans in the short term to run up to 60 on the Portland Sub or whatever it's called. Then take your pick what they decide to move up to Class 3 depending on density. Royal to Waterville, Willows East to LJ, Worcester to Harvard, etc.
  by BlueFlag

CSX filing with STB dated December 1 says some of the 45 restored miles between OT and Keag are up to Class 3 standards.
the line has been updated to FRA Class II track standards, and a portion of the line, approximately 15 miles, has been updated to FRA Class III standards. This will allow CSX to increase speeds on the line to 25-40 mph,

Any evidence of 40 mph?

I tried providing a web link to the filing, but suffice to say it did not go well. Don't know if it is me or the wonders of US Government websites. In any event, if you search your way to STB filings, the filing ID is 307577.
Last edited by BlueFlag on Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by jwhite07

Our friend in Mattawamkeag and his pup need to start taking a lot more caution when they're out there kicking cinders. I don't think even the old timers up there remember trains going that fast. Wonder if there's been any community engagement about it?
  by bostontrainguy

Well the CSX part is going to be yard limits but he does venture down the EM mainline which is maybe 40 mph? I got a feeling you (and he) can hear a train coming miles away up there in the Maine stillness.