• Quick Comet IB Sighting

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by F40

I think it was a Comet IB, but before entering Harrison, I saw the 6-car Arrow I train, but the front number panel of the cab car read #5154, when the actual car # on the side was #5158. Is this a mixup or did my eyes see something that wasn't true?

by nick11a

^Yeah, that was a 6 car Comet IB train (former Arrow I) train you saw. It certainly is possible the numbers are mixed up. The number boards on the IBs certainly leave a lot to be desired. I find some of the numbers are printed WAY to small to the point where you need a magnifying glass to read it (Yes, I'm exagerating- but not by much.)

by arrow

Like I said, that train is in use everday on the RVL. Again I rode it yesterday evening.
  by thebigc

F40 wrote:I think it was a Comet IB, but before entering Harrison, I saw the 6-car Arrow I train, but the front number panel of the cab car read #5154, when the actual car # on the side was #5158. Is this a mixup or did my eyes see something that wasn't true?
Are you certain? So we have two 5154s? This can pose some serious issues in regards to Form Ds, detours, talked by a signal, reporting clear, etc...

As far as railroaders are concerned, it's the number on the front that matters.

by mcmannors

Yes, it was 5158, and I worked that consist on Thursday. A couple of the ceilings are leaking from the air conditioners, and on 5713, all of a sudden water starting dripping from one of the incadescent light fixtures onto the passengers. Lovely equipment!

by Jtgshu

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people at the MMC put the wrong number on the car or something -

by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people at the MMC put the wrong number on the car or something -
My thoughts exactly. You've seen those number signs on the front of the IBs. They're horrible. I could have done better.

by nick11a

^Well I was hoping for "Lord High Railfan Grand Master" but I guess I'll have to settle with "Guru." :wink:

A thousand and one and counting....

by njt4172

CONGRATS ON YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS!!! HOPE WE SEE 1000 MORE.......... :-)

by Jihn z

I bought a cake in honor of you Nick. :wink:
Last edited by Jihn z on Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:CONGRATS ON YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS!!! HOPE WE SEE 1000 MORE.......... :-)
Sure, just give me another year. :) Hopefully by then, you'll be a Guru too.

by arrow

Yea, I'm dissapointed at "Guru". I think "Master" would have been a better title..oh well..now when you get to 10,000 it might say something better lol.

by thebigc

Geez, and I just made 100.

Congrats, Nick!! :D

by nick11a

Well thanks all. But 1000 posts is not in any way an indication of my knowledge of trains- just my enthusiasm about them. There are certainly plenty in this forum who know a great deal more than me. And I hope the next title change isn't at 10,000. Geez, I'll probably be over the hill by then! I'm hoping it will change again at 5,000. But even getting to 5000 is bound to take at least two years.

by thebigc

nick11a wrote:Well thanks all. But 1000 posts is not in any way an indication of my knowledge of trains- just my enthusiasm about them. There are certainly plenty in this forum who know a great deal more than me. And I hope the next title change isn't at 10,000. Geez, I'll probably be over the hill by then! I'm hoping it will change again at 5,000. But even getting to 5000 is bound to take at least two years.
Over the hill?? What, 24?!? :P