• Private collection in Vermont? (Passumpsic Railroad)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Trainlover479

yah that would be a good idea. Besides most of the cars are wooden anyways so it would be a smart idea to make that barn high priority..
  by steamer69

I think so, but there again it's all up to the owners. One of the owners is of the same mindset, and we have been dicussion possibilities for a car shop. The big issue with doing work on the cars at the moment is a lack of space (under cover) to do the work. The engine house isn't really long enough to do the work in comfortably....
  by passumpsic1

Just a note PASX just got two weeks ago another caboose. It is Ex Rutland Railway 31, and was sold in the 50's to the StJ&LC, then sold to the Farmers Daughter Gift Shop in St. J. Also the attached pic is of No.1 at her first home.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by toolmaker

So that is where the caboose went. I saw a mention in the Caledonian Record that is moved but not where it went.
  by steamer69

Yes. She (the caboose) is now at the railroad. No timeline for restoration, but as we progress with things, we'll let everyone know.
  by steamer69

We're looking forward to it!
  by Trainlover479

So i hear a 3 step switch is being installed, when is that supposed to be completed?
  by steamer69

3 way. There is a 3 way stub switch going in on the enginehouse lead. And in terms of a completion date....that depends on the volunteers, weather, and some other factors. I would guess that we will be putting it down once things thaw out enough to do track work. Doesn't make much sence to do it when everything is frozen....lol.
  by steamer69

Trainlover479 wrote:Much beter than bending the switches by hand!
What?
  by ThinkNarrow

Trainlover479 wrote:lol that will be nice to see. Much beter than bending the switches by hand!
Stub switches are indeed neat, but they have some interesting properties:

1. The gap between the movable rail and the stationary rail changes quite a bit with temperature.
2. You must stop your engine quite a ways from the switch, as the moveable section is quite long.
3. Running through an open switch always puts you on the ground.

-John