• Private collection in Vermont? (Passumpsic Railroad)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by passumpsic1

thanks steamer and a note on the MEC unit its technicaly AVR 14 but is still lettered MEC 16. as far as hop for the unit yes someday its possible and there is a hood to replace the plywood one. just time and money.
  by passumpsic1

And also if your on Facebook steamer can hook you up with our FB page
  by steamer69

Work days on Sundays....if anyone is interested, please PM me or go to the railroads web site. Many hands make light work.
  by steamer69

Trainlover479 wrote:have you guys thought about connecting to that mainline that goes by your railroad? Would be nice to be linked to the grid..
also how much frieght cars and cabooses? Just curious
The WACR main line and the Passumpsic are seperated by quite a large tall cut, it wouldn't make sence for us to build down to it (and I'm not sure that we own all the land that would be needed). There are things that we need to do on the property long before even thinking about that like getting the second Heisler done along with the 44 toners, our car shop, and turntable. Lots and lots of stuff needs worked on first. Not that it's a bad idea, or wouldn't work....but there is other stuff that is a little higher on the priority list (IMHO).
  by Trainlover479

so the second heisler is getting restored to operation? i thought it was a parts locomotive. And also i think that a turntable is a good idea...
  by steamer69

The plan for everything there is to restore it. The second heisler is nothing more than a basket case at the moment, but a lot of the stuff there has been in rough shape at one point or another. It may not happen for quite a long time though. I would like to see #1 get her 1472 done first, and then get the stanley steamer out after that. There is some more work to be done on #1 before it can come back out. Needs to have the packing glands fixed, and there is a little slop in the Universal U joints. Hopefully by the time we are ready to bring it out, the new stub switches to the enginehouse will be done. Right now there isn't a connection to the main line, so all we have to run trains with is the plymouth....the CSRX open car, and one of the cabeese (or cabooses....how ever you want to say it...lol).
The turn table is kind of the same thing. We have the table and pit liner on the property, but no place to put it in just yet. There is still some discussion about what the final track plan on the property will be, and there is a small hole in the main line that needs to be finished so that the loop is complete. Lots of stuff to get done. The more hands we have, the sooner it will get done.

WORK DAYS ARE SUNDAYS......HELP!!!!!! :-)
  by Trainlover479

lol ill keep that in mind....im planning on going to williams grove this summer to operate the PRR #643. It will be AWESOME! I will finnally do what ive always wanted to do, drive a steam locomotive. THEN i would have SOME experience with steam (ahem, cosmo) lol!
  by steamer69

Have fun with that. Why all the way to Williams Grove? There are places a little bit closer where you can do it. I'm guessing that since you're going you meet the age requirement, so why not go to the Valley? Then you may even get Cosmo as your fireman! LOL!!!! I bet he would love that! :-)

I'm going to have that equipment roster you were asking about soon, and I'll try to get it posted on here. In the mean time, talking about "hand on the throttle" programs has gotten me thinking. Maybe we should think about one at passumpsic. Hmmm.....
  by Trainlover479

LOL the reason im thinking of Williams Grove because most of the Programs are 18+, i think that at Williams Grove i could drive because im 16. And also because its only $126. Thats cheaper than the valley. And yah operating a heisler locomotive would be really awesome. Never have seen one operate before. Ive seen #4 at clarks sitting on a siding cold and the next year it's wheelbase. When im 18 ill have to go to Essex just to have Cosmo as fireman.....HAHAHA!
  by Trainlover479

steamer69 wrote:I'm going to have that equipment roster you were asking about soon, and I'll try to get it posted on here.
That would be nice, i saw some pictures of your frieght cars, for a small museum you have an impressive collection of Steam-Era Rollingstock!
steamer69 wrote:Maybe we should think about one at passumpsic. Hmmm.....
That sounds like a very good idea! You guys will be closer than the other places, the one at loon mt. is just a german 2 footer but i prefer standard guage. Besides i think it will draw attention and money for your little railroad. and mabey have a little of it go to a charity of some sort, a way to promote good will and a good cause. But its ur railroad's choice of how to use the money.
  by steamer69

We'll see what the owners want to do, but for the time being....here is the roster you asked for.

PASSUMPSIC RAILROAD
LOCOMOTIVES
NUMBER TYPE SERIAL No. BUILT RECEVED NOTES
1 2 Truck Heisler 1468 11/1922 2/1985 Ex Phenix Marble 1, Carthage Marble 1, Skyline RR 96, Ozark Mtn Scenic.
3 2 Truck Heisler 1415 1920 8/1985 Ex Holly Ridge Lumber 3, Chess & Wymond, George B. Franklin & Sons 3
W3 GE 25 Ton Ex North Stratford W3.
10 GE 44 Ton Ex Aroostook Valley 10.
12 GE 44 Ton Ex Aroostook Valley 12.
16 GE 44 Ton 27976 Ex Maine Central 16, Aroostook Valley 14.
5214 Plymouth 5214 1993 Ex New England Power Co. (Fifteen Miles Falls RR)

PASSENGER CARS
NUMBER TYPE BUILT RECEVED NOTES
3 Caboose Ex Fonda Johnstown & Gloversville 3.
59 Caboose 1920 2012 Ex Rutland RR 81, 31, St Johnsbury & Lake Champlain 59.
4013 Caboose 1910 1988 Ex Central Vermont 4013.
Caboose 1921 Ex Boston & Maine 104620, Barre & Chelsea C3, Montpelier & Barre 25.
Open AIr Ex Maine Central, Conway Scenic

Maintenece of Way (MOW)
21 Flanger Ex Vermont Railway 21, Steamtown 21.
X104 Plow 1924 Ex Rutland X104, Green Mountain X104.
Crain 1922 1993 Ex New England Power.
Flanger 1994 Ex Maine Central.
Plow Ex Aroostook Valley 1MW (Double ended plow made from a steple cab)

FREIGHT CARS
4578 Boxcar 2/1930 Ex Central Vermont
27433 Tank 10/1929 2003 Ex UTLX, Wolfboro RR
43030 Boxcar 7/1912 Ex Central Vermont
57623 Flatcar
Boxcar Ex Central Vermont, Lamoille Valley.
Boxcar Ex Central Vermont, Suncook Valley.
Boxcar 2004 Ex New Haven
Boxcar 2003 Ex Central Vermont, Montpeiler & Barre, Washington County.
Flatcar PASX has 4 Flatcars from Rock of Ages Ex Boston & Maine.
Flatcar PASX has 3 flatcars from New England Power Co.
Side Dump 1980’s Ex New England Power
Tank 1990’s Ex Barrets.

Roster from Passumpsic Operations Volunteer Kyle Stockman.
Last edited by steamer69 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Trainlover479

Wow...all that on a 1 mile railroad? thats impressive. Thats neat how you also have a Wolfeboro Railroad Tank car. Id love to check it all out... I hope the owners go with that idea. That would be awesome if they do so mabey ill be able to operate it myself! With that many frieght cars i think you guys will have an awesome photo frieght!
  by steamer69

Most of that stuff is not serviceable at the moment. Like I said before we have A LOT of work to do. The owners have been collecting for a long while now, and were able to get most of the stuff either donated or at a very good price. We would have a nice photo freight. It's a great little railroad.
  by Trainlover479

haha yah, So when the turntable is done in the future, would you think there could be a roundhouse to be built for it or no? that would be a long time but will still be cool
  by steamer69

I haven't seen or heard anything about a round house, but I guess that could be possible. It really all comes down to the volunteer base and funding. It's funny you mentioned charitable work, because most of the money that is made on run days does go to charity. The next "building" project is supposed to be another shop building (or at least pole barn type structure) for putting some of the wooden rollingstock under cover. There is some seriouse sustainmnet work that needs to be done to some of it.