• Power outlets on pax cars/emu.

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by TREnecNYP

RearOfSignal wrote:You can charge an iPhone with it being powered off. No rules violations there.
That's good to know, he probably had it sitting behind the seat in the cab or something. Being out and about all day is the best way to end up with a drained phone battery, so i'm glad they have some way to keep it charged even if lay on the more unconventional side. There are solar iPhone chargers, as well as external battery packs that might work if you're in the loco or such. :)

Are the breakers for the outlets located in a cabinet, or in some other area?

- A
  by Uzi-Cat

When you are running a locomotive or required to perform service you phone or i-whatever should be off and in your bag (per rule) regardless of if you are "out and about" all day. I find when I work my phone battery lasts longer. Charging equipment is not a problem, there is no rule against that. Just because and Engineer works a long shift doesn't mean that his cell phone battery will be drained.
  by ryanov

wpdj61 wrote:
I use them because I'm basically poor and can't afford to use a payphone at whichever station if my iphone's battery goes dead.
Many "poor" people have iphones. I guess the definition of poor has changed.
I was going to say... "too poor to use a payphone so I need to use my iPhone." Hmm.
  by sixty-six

ryanov wrote:
wpdj61 wrote:
I use them because I'm basically poor and can't afford to use a payphone at whichever station if my iphone's battery goes dead.
Many "poor" people have iphones. I guess the definition of poor has changed.
I was going to say... "too poor to use a payphone so I need to use my iPhone." Hmm.
Back in the day people were too poor to use iPhones so they had to use payphones.
  by TREnecNYP

I didn't know paying 60 bucks a month for phone service that allows me personal independence made me not poor. I have rent and other bills to pay that i have to find room for with a very little amount to work with. How bout we stick on topic instead of going out of your way to mock/insult me? Just an idea.

- A
  by Uzi-Cat

I once saw a "poor" family on my train. This couple was scraping their coins together to pay for the ride from East Orange to Newark. I let them ride for free because they truly were poor and trying to pay their fare with what little they had. I violated NJT's fare policy and don't really care. They were poor but I didn't see any iphones in their posession. It is always the ones who cry the most about having nothing that have the most. Somehow, I don't feel any despair for your "poor" status with your iphone. Writing nonsense like that makes you look even more ridiculous than your normal posts do.
  by TREnecNYP

wpdj61 wrote:I once saw a "poor" family on my train. This couple was scraping their coins together to pay for the ride from East Orange to Newark. I let them ride for free because they truly were poor and trying to pay their fare with what little they had. I violated NJT's fare policy and don't really care. They were poor but I didn't see any iphones in their posession. It is always the ones who cry the most about having nothing that have the most. Somehow, I don't feel any despair for your "poor" status with your iphone. Writing nonsense like that makes you look even more ridiculous than your normal posts do.
My monthly income is 215 dollars. Do i qualify now? Only reason i have an iPhone is because i got it for free after att messed up my billing royally, i paid up front & they credited me the amount ($49.99). I pay what i can afford to the cell plan my girlfriend and i share because it's the only way we can communicate with each other most of the time. Since her and i live 50 miles apart, having matching cell phones makes complete sense, excuse me if i happen to be lucky enough to own one, it doesn't make me not well below the poverty line. Half the things i do and have are because of her and my family. They know train photo-ing is a form of therapy for me, so i get to do that and get monthly passes from time to time. Excuse me if my curiosity about rail equipment mixed with comments about my iPhone makes you think i am some wall st exec or something.

- A
  by Kaback9

TREnecNYP wrote:
wpdj61 wrote:I once saw a "poor" family on my train. This couple was scraping their coins together to pay for the ride from East Orange to Newark. I let them ride for free because they truly were poor and trying to pay their fare with what little they had. I violated NJT's fare policy and don't really care. They were poor but I didn't see any iphones in their posession. It is always the ones who cry the most about having nothing that have the most. Somehow, I don't feel any despair for your "poor" status with your iphone. Writing nonsense like that makes you look even more ridiculous than your normal posts do.
My monthly income is 215 dollars. Do i qualify now? Only reason i have an iPhone is because i got it for free after att messed up my billing royally, i paid up front & they credited me the amount ($49.99). I pay what i can afford to the cell plan my girlfriend and i share because it's the only way we can communicate with each other most of the time. Since her and i live 50 miles apart, having matching cell phones makes complete sense, excuse me if i happen to be lucky enough to own one, it doesn't make me not well below the poverty line. Half the things i do and have are because of her and my family. They know train photo-ing is a form of therapy for me, so i get to do that and get monthly passes from time to time. Excuse me if my curiosity about rail equipment mixed with comments about my iPhone makes you think i am some wall st exec or something.

- A
Someone needs to calm down, no one said anything about you being a "wall st exec or something". However to come on here and then tell us that you have an iphone but you are basically poor makes you look foolish. Even more foolish is to come on here where there are railroad employees and tell us all; rr or non rr how someone had a cord leading into the cab. No one likes snitches or people telling someone else how to do their job, yes it was not a smart move but keep it to yourself. If you did not fell safe you could have gotten off that train at the next stop and been done with it. Its great you show interest in the equipment but we do not need an entire back story.
  by sixty-six

If I was poor and had an iPhone, I'd sell it to get some more money, and make do with a regular run-of-the-mill cell phone.
  by TREnecNYP

jimzim66 wrote:If I was poor and had an iPhone, I'd sell it to get some more money, and make do with a regular run-of-the-mill cell phone.
It allows me to take notes easily and quickly on the spot (i have a writing disability), navigate both trains/transit and also when a passenger in an automobile, allows me to monitor my email accounts which i use to help travelers on a hospitality exchange site, keep on top of news and developing stories that may affect me my family or other people i know, allows me to do things iPhone to iPhone with my girlfriend that other phones would not be able to do, educate myself by using the web to research things and help folks who i see are lost (can't find a place) or subject comes up in conversation they want more info on or need assistance with, allows me to contact my various doctors and therapist and keeps a calendar so i don't miss any appointments, lets me see if my girlfriend is having an ok day at work, all the bills and banking stuff kept track of, is a partial backup to my extremely old computers which i don't know how much longer they will last, able to use in blackout or other emergency to find relevant information like various utility contact numbers, allows me to easily keep track of voicemail so i don't accidently delete or skip something i need to listen to, or save them for further use, voice memos, conference calling (more than 3 participants) if we are tying to organize something like a birthday party or other event, and this is before i even get into any app store apps, from battery information to red cross news no all kinds of stuff, and yes a few games too. It's more than just a phone, it's freedom that i need and i don't expect anyone to begin to try and understand that. I think the freedom my iPhone offers me is worth 60 bucks a month, end of that topic. If you care to talk about it more PM me.

I don't pass judgment on others, but i see now a few folks on here are quick to do that or just quick to give others a hard time. That isn't what i'm into, i'm a friendly non-pretentious unassuming easy to get along with person who simply wanted to know about the technical details and operations of the electrical outlets on NJ transit trains. I really don't need all the snide comments about charities or having a nice phone (that i'm thankful every day to have) or the like. Hope that clears that up, because i still do indeed wish to know more about these outlets, but if no one is willing to give me info on them, i am quite content to have zero additional snide and mean spirited posts directed at me and wait till further relevant information is presented.

- A
  by Uzi-Cat

Boo hoo.
  by sixty-six

No one is passing judgement on anyone. But calling yourself poor while having modern amenities, a roof over your head, access to food and clothing doesn't really sit well with other people.
  by TREnecNYP

jimzim66 wrote:No one is passing judgement on anyone. But calling yourself poor while having modern amenities, a roof over your head, access to food and clothing doesn't really sit well with other people.
As i said, it's thanks to my girlfriend & my family... without them i'm out on the street with nothing, i am very lucky to have the things that i do, just because i'm not hanging on by a single strand with the most basic of things to survive doesnt mean i am not well below the poverty line and quite limited in what i can do outside of things involving the people mentioned above. I understand completely what you're saying though, and yes there are people who have it way worse than me by far, and when i can help those people i do even if it's the smallest thing like giving them a light rail ticket (bought for me) that has time left on it or helping put together and deliver seasonal food pantry boxes (5 times a year xmas, easter, 4th of july, thanksgiving, back to school week) etc.

- A
  by Uzi-Cat

You can avoid poverty by spending less time on Railroad.net and a little more time working. How about a second job. Maybe a third. I have worked 2 jobs before, we all have. Nobody likes people who cry and whine about how bad they have it. Ever get one of those guys on the train that says he doesn't have money for a train ticket but somehow he has managed to afford his blackberry whatever and that McDonalds super duper fat ass meal. How about you bag a lunch and get a prepaid phone if you need one for emergency service. Nah, it is just easier to get whatever the hell you want and try to get out of paying your fare. Maybe somebody will feel sorry for you and give you a few bucks if you whine enough.

By the way, I am poor too. I have an LCD TV though as well as a nice surround system. I need it though because I have a learning disability and I am trying to learn spanish. I watch telemundo on it and the big picture and surround sound really makes it a lot easier to learn. What a joke. Quit crying, and just deal with life.