• All things Harrisburg (Keystone) Line

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Lackawanna565

Thanks Mike. Wasn't sure if it was going to be like a few weeks ago when they were doing work at New Park Interlocking and switched them over at Leaman.
  by Suburban Station

MikeEspee wrote:
With the current alignments and the naturally curvy route the railroad follows now, the locations I imagine are even remotely possible to improve total about 20 miles...
the current projects are less about 125 than about removing speed restrictions and maximizing 110 territory (even if they talk about 125, the projects are quite useful to the railroad as is). I believe when all is said and done the railroad will be 80 mph between overbrook and paoli except bryn mawr (which needs to be replaced as it is), 90 west of paoli, with some sections of 110. that said, the so called super expresses make more sense if these are trains that go west of harrisburg, perhaps using the new dual mode locomotives which, I believe, can hit 125. what work would be required for 125 that doesn't also need to be done for 110? in other words, what is the incremental cost of 125?

http://lancasteronline.com/article/loca ... t-Joy.html
  by Jersey_Mike

The incremental cost of 125mph is the Class 7 track standard as opposed to Class 6. That's a whole new level of tolerances that the track structure needs to be maintained to and the costs are ongoing, not a one shot thing like laying concrete ties. I wouldn't be surprised if, as built, much of the 110 Harrisburg Line could support 125mph speeds, but keeping it that way takes a good deal of effort.
  by Suburban Station

anyone know how the lancaster station project is progressing?
  by twropr

The Rule 562 cutover between Park and Leamen is finally taking place this weekend. R-562 will be in service on TK 4 on Aug. 23 and TK 1 on Aug. 27. On Sat. and Sun. temporary Keystone schedules are in effect that add about 15 min. running time.
On Amtrak when there is a signal cutover, is DCS operation placed in effect (like CSX does)? Is it basically single track operation while they work one track and then the other?

Andy in Jacksonville, FL
  by j653

"anyone know how the lancaster station project is progressing?"

The Lancaster station is still a work in progress. A lot of cosmetic work still needs to be finished, but from what I've read, much of the behind-the-scenes HVAC and structural work has been completed.

Here's a slideshow from a local TV station: http://www.wgal.com/slideshow/news/28904264/detail.html
  by mkerfe

Which crewbase staffs the Keystone trains (engineers and conductors)? is it Harrisburg, Philly, NYP or is it a combination? Also what are the equipment turns? Thanks!
  by MikeEspee

twropr wrote:The Rule 562 cutover between Park and Leamen is finally taking place this weekend. R-562 will be in service on TK 4 on Aug. 23 and TK 1 on Aug. 27. On Sat. and Sun. temporary Keystone schedules are in effect that add about 15 min. running time.
On Amtrak when there is a signal cutover, is DCS operation placed in effect (like CSX does)? Is it basically single track operation while they work one track and then the other?

Andy in Jacksonville, FL
You were right on with the guess, I can only assume. Single track operation from Thorn to Leaman using #1 today, at least. Every bungalow between Park and Leaman was open with orange shirts everywhere... The new distant signals for Leaman (relocated Westbound) and "New" Park (replaced Eastbound) are un-bagged, lit and testing on #4 when I went by.

As far as what terminal crews Keystone trains, Philly and Harrisburg hold the majority of the regular jobs with NYP holding (I believe) 2 turns per day, one half of one running 42 back north...

Equipment turns are beyond me...
  by BuddSilverliner269

MikeEspee wrote:
twropr wrote:The Rule 562 cutover between Park and Leamen is finally taking place this weekend. R-562 will be in service on TK 4 on Aug. 23 and TK 1 on Aug. 27. On Sat. and Sun. temporary Keystone schedules are in effect that add about 15 min. running time.

Andy in Jacksonville, FL
You were right on with the guess, I can only assume. Single track operation from Thorn to Leaman using #1 today, at least. Every bungalow between Park and Leaman was open with orange shirts everywhere... The new distant signals for Leaman (relocated Westbound) and "New" Park (replaced Eastbound) are un-bagged, lit and testing on #4 when I went by.

As far as what terminal crews Keystone trains, Philly and Harrisburg hold the majority of the regular jobs with NYP holding (I believe) 2 turns per day, one half of one running 42 back north...

Equipment turns are beyond me...
Mike,you are completely wrong. Philly and Harrisburg crews staff the trains between Philly and HBG and between Philly and NYP its probably safe to say its evenly split between the NY and Philly crew bases. There are no New York crews that staff the trains between Philly and Harrisburg.
  by MikeEspee

Of the 20 Keystone trains that run weekdays including 42/43, 13 have Philly crews on them between NYC and PHL. So instead of my totally asinine, completely wrong guess of 2 turns per day with NYC crews it's in reality 3 and a one way and deadhead. Sorry.
  by BuddSilverliner269

Mike there are way more then the jobs you listed that work keystone service out of NYC between nyp and philly if I'm not mistaken although I would have to check the job sheet . Nyc crews don't work between philly and HBG. I'm not sure how you're getting confused by what I'm saying unless I'm misreading what you wrote.
  by ExCon90

A question for Mike Espee (or anyone else who's been there): Are the distant signals for LEAMAN equipped to display Approach Slow? It was mentioned somewhere above that the crossovers at LEAMAN will be slow speed, and there is often a tendency not to use Approach Slow but instead just display Approach, which I don't think is really sound practice.
  by BuddSilverliner269

ExCon90 wrote:A question for Mike Espee (or anyone else who's been there): Are the distant signals for LEAMAN equipped to display Approach Slow? It was mentioned somewhere above that the crossovers at LEAMAN will be slow speed, and there is often a tendency not to use Approach Slow but instead just display Approach, which I don't think is really sound practice.
I just recently qualified the line and just ran it once as a day off work and I had the luck of crossing over at Leaman and I can confirm that you will get the approach slow on the distant signals.
  by Silverliner II

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:
ExCon90 wrote:A question for Mike Espee (or anyone else who's been there): Are the distant signals for LEAMAN equipped to display Approach Slow? It was mentioned somewhere above that the crossovers at LEAMAN will be slow speed, and there is often a tendency not to use Approach Slow but instead just display Approach, which I don't think is really sound practice.
I just recently qualified the line and just ran it once as a day off work and I had the luck of crossing over at Leaman and I can confirm that you will get the approach slow on the distant signals.
Whether the signal displays Approach or Approach Slow, I believe the conforming cab signal change is the same: Approach. So in terms of speed, it does not make a difference unless Leaman has a Stop Signal and then the cabs further drop to Restricting within the block. Whether you are approaching the next signal prepared to stop, or at Slow speed, you wouldn't be able to exceed the speed authorized by the cabs...