• New BCL Plauderville Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Roadgeek Adam

BlockLine_4111 wrote:The new EXIT signs on the e/b platform are burning bright.
They finally finished the damn electrical work? Thank god.
  by BlockLine_4111

When the new station goes live it shall be interesting to see how the function of the crossings is 'tweeked' at each end. Also of course the effect on traffic patterns at both ends as well.
  by Roadgeek Adam

BlockLine_4111 wrote:When the new station goes live it shall be interesting to see how the function of the crossings is 'tweeked' at each end. Also of course the effect on traffic patterns at both ends as well.
I'm itching if the Plauderville opening is during the summer to go there myself, considering I've been there 4 times already during construction.

But yes, I think if long enough, it should be less bottlenecking. The other good parts is this eliminates the rather unsafe crossing of Midland Avenue that I am definitely not fond of. I've done this crossing several times and too many cars come to make it easy. I'm sure that's a big reason a new station was proposed in the first place. If I was in NJ Transit's position, if people start getting killed at that crossing, I'd see lawsuits coming in a hurry.
  by SecaucusJunction

It's no where near as dangerous as Broadway. I dont know how they don't have an overpass over the four lane highway between the parking lot and station platform.
  by Roadgeek Adam

SecaucusJunction wrote:It's no where near as dangerous as Broadway. I dont know how they don't have an overpass over the four lane highway between the parking lot and station platform.
Yeah that qualifies. I crossed Route 4 myself at that point trying to get there. I was standing in the median for like 4 minutes waiting for a chance to move. They need to either a) rent a parking lot somewhere or b) Build an overpass. It took me 6 minutes to cross Route 4 that day going one way.
  by cruiser939

Roadgeek Adam wrote:If I was in NJ Transit's position, if people start getting killed at that crossing, I'd see lawsuits coming in a hurry.
Huh? What are you talking about? I've read this sentence over a bunch of times and can't make sense of it.
  by northjerseybuff

My thoughts exactly cruiser! It makes no sense..why would anyone get hit at the crossing..its trespassing and with working gates noone should be around them. The statement is not well thought out.
  by SecaucusJunction

I believe he meant people getting hit by cars while crossing the street by the RR crossing going from the parking lot to the station.
  by waldwickrailfan

SecaucusJunction wrote:I believe he meant people getting hit by cars while crossing the street by the RR crossing going from the parking lot to the station.
i still dont see why NJT would get lawsuits that way. it's not even the RR's fault. it's either the person, or the person in the car's fault.
  by Roadgeek Adam

waldwickrailfan wrote:
SecaucusJunction wrote:I believe he meant people getting hit by cars while crossing the street by the RR crossing going from the parking lot to the station.
i still dont see why NJT would get lawsuits that way. it's not even the RR's fault. it's either the person, or the person in the car's fault.
Well in theory only, you build a parking lot across from Midland Avenue, which is a busy road crossing, to the shrimpy little Plauderville station, someone gets hit intending to get to the station, in theory only, wouldn't NJ Transit be liable (realizing this is the type of things that make lawyers drool.)
  by Roadgeek Adam

Coincidence Department: I turned on News 12 at 8:45 and they were talking about the Route 4-Fair Lawn crossing problem which now apparently has those flashing lights River Road here in Highland Park has.

Listed suggestions:

- Move station
- Build pedestrian bridge
- Add traffic light.
  by waldwickrailfan

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Coincidence Department: I turned on News 12 at 8:45 and they were talking about the Route 4-Fair Lawn crossing problem which now apparently has those flashing lights River Road here in Highland Park has.

Listed suggestions:

- Move station
- Add traffic light.
best suggestions ever. too bad NJT diddnt consider this when planning. it could be like RR17, but smaller.
  by Roadgeek Adam

waldwickrailfan wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:Coincidence Department: I turned on News 12 at 8:45 and they were talking about the Route 4-Fair Lawn crossing problem which now apparently has those flashing lights River Road here in Highland Park has.

Listed suggestions:

- Move station
- Add traffic light.
best suggestions ever. too bad NJT diddnt consider this when planning. it could be like RR17, but smaller.
Fair Lawn Station harkens back to the Erie. I wouldn't blame NJ Transit there. Yes they could've upgraded it, but that was already there. Also I doubt all 3 will be implemented, i think the latter of the 3 will be determined to be so. Doubt they will move the station south.
  by waldwickrailfan

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
waldwickrailfan wrote:

Listed suggestions:

- Move station
- Add traffic light.
Fair Lawn Station harkens back to the Erie. I wouldn't blame NJ Transit there. Yes they could've upgraded it, but that was already there. Also I doubt all 3 will be implemented, i think the latter of the 3 will be determined to be so. Doubt they will move the station south.
they will never move that station. the only thing they may do to it is make it a high-level platform.
  by CentralValleyRail

Just to add my two sense.

Frequently when coming home on 1269 which for one reason or another always stops in Plauderville a few minutes late 5:57 ish people line up at the gate crossing waiting to charge across soon as the train leaves the station. However with 1274 due to run express through Plauderville at 5:59 it always makes me wonder when the day will happen where they all get hit. With the outbound still leaving the odds of seeing the express roll through are slim to none before it's too late.