• New BCL Plauderville Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by cruiser939

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
waldwickrailfan wrote:
SecaucusJunction wrote:I believe he meant people getting hit by cars while crossing the street by the RR crossing going from the parking lot to the station.
i still dont see why NJT would get lawsuits that way. it's not even the RR's fault. it's either the person, or the person in the car's fault.
Well in theory only, you build a parking lot across from Midland Avenue, which is a busy road crossing, to the shrimpy little Plauderville station, someone gets hit intending to get to the station, in theory only, wouldn't NJ Transit be liable (realizing this is the type of things that make lawyers drool.)
Well in theory only... Well in theory only... stop talking out your butt about things you have no knowledge of. I think you should stick to roadgeeking instead of railfanning if this is what we're coming to...
  by cruiser939

CentralValleyRail wrote:Just to add my two sense.

Frequently when coming home on 1269 which for one reason or another always stops in Plauderville a few minutes late 5:57 ish people line up at the gate crossing waiting to charge across soon as the train leaves the station. However with 1274 due to run express through Plauderville at 5:59 it always makes me wonder when the day will happen where they all get hit. With the outbound still leaving the odds of seeing the express roll through are slim to none before it's too late.
Which two senses were you adding with this story?

Perhaps it was two cents that you were adding to the conversation? If that's the case, then how do you know that 1274 is do through Plauderville at 5:59pm if it doesn't stop there? Furthermore, that is why it is illegal to cross the tracks when the gates are down. If you are serious about averting future problems at the is intersection, then write a complaint to customer service and hopefully they'll send a couple offices out to do a ticketing spree for an afternoon or so.
  by CentralValleyRail

My apologies, in ESTIMATION the train is due through around 5:59 pm.

And why complain it's not my duty to baby these people I was just making an observation. And heck with the tickets someday they'll learn the hard way.

After all isn't it survival of the fittest...
  by cruiser939

CentralValleyRail wrote:My apologies, in ESTIMATION the train is due through around 5:59 pm.

And why complain it's not my duty to baby these people I was just making an observation. And heck with the tickets someday they'll learn the hard way.

After all isn't it survival of the fittest...
My sentiments exactly.
  by SecaucusJunction

Has any progress been made on opening this new station platform? Have any "changes" been made? At this rate, the station will start rusting away, like the others, before it even opens....
  by Defiant

SecaucusJunction wrote:Has any progress been made on opening this new station platform? Have any "changes" been made? At this rate, the station will start rusting away, like the others, before it even opens....
Nope, the trains still stop at the old, barely existing excuse of a platform. Only half of the train fits in. Meanwhile, the new, practically completed station is still not being used. I also noticed that the new station does not even have a climate controlled waiting area. It just has glass enclosure with no doors. Any idea why this station was designed this way? Most other bigger stations on BCL, such East Rutherford, Radburn etc have heated/air conditioned waiting areas with bathrooms.

So if it takes more than a year to complete one station, how long will it take for the 7 mile Cutoff train restoration? 7 years?
  by Roadgeek Adam

SecaucusJunction wrote:Has any progress been made on opening this new station platform? Have any "changes" been made? At this rate, the station will start rusting away, like the others, before it even opens....
I saw some progress being made from the side of 1151 on July 21. Signage for the timetables is up and waiting. Of course the slowdown is what cruiser said, the DCA being real nitpicks.
  by cruiser939

Defiant wrote:Nope, the trains still stop at the old, barely existing excuse of a platform. Only half of the train fits in. Meanwhile, the new, practically completed station is still not being used. I also noticed that the new station does not even have a climate controlled waiting area. It just has glass enclosure with no doors. Any idea why this station was designed this way? Most other bigger stations on BCL, such East Rutherford, Radburn etc have heated/air conditioned waiting areas with bathrooms.
Are you serious? Your question is basically why didn't they build a historic station house for the new platform. The reason Radburn and Rutherford have climate controlled waiting areas is because there are old station houses there.
Defiant wrote:So if it takes more than a year to complete one station, how long will it take for the 7 mile Cutoff train restoration? 7 years?
How long would you like it to take in order to complete a station on a busy rail line under traffic? As for your timeline, why do you equate building a station to building a 1 mile stretch of railroad?
  by cruiser939

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
I saw some progress being made from the side of 1151 on July 21. Signage for the timetables is up and waiting. Of course the slowdown is what cruiser said, the DCA being real nitpicks.
People don't like to listen if it gets in the way of their complaining about things.
  by Roadgeek Adam

Defiant wrote: Nope, the trains still stop at the old, barely existing excuse of a platform. Only half of the train fits in. Meanwhile, the new, practically completed station is still not being used. I also noticed that the new station does not even have a climate controlled waiting area. It just has glass enclosure with no doors. Any idea why this station was designed this way? Most other bigger stations on BCL, such East Rutherford, Radburn etc have heated/air conditioned waiting areas with bathrooms.
I find that "barely existing excuse of a platform" comment a real black eye to the truth, as as someone who enjoys the older Plauderville Station a lot, rather insulting. Riders are lucky they got the low-level platform they do now.

http://www.20thcenturyhobbies.com/train ... helter.JPG

Would you prefer all riders have waited in that? Because that photo is from the 1970s. NJ Transit could've not needed to go out of their way to build these new high-level platforms. They didn't have to spend the money, since commuters at Plaudervile have had a small station for the last 50 years. The riders can be patient for a few freaking months till the new thing is ready.

[/End Rant]
  by SecaucusJunction

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
I find that "barely existing excuse of a platform" comment a real black eye to the truth, as as someone who enjoys the older Plauderville Station a lot, rather insulting. Riders are lucky they got the low-level platform they do now.

http://www.20thcenturyhobbies.com/train ... helter.JPG

Would you prefer all riders have waited in that? Because that photo is from the 1970s. NJ Transit could've not needed to go out of their way to build these new high-level platforms. They didn't have to spend the money, since commuters at Plaudervile have had a small station for the last 50 years. The riders can be patient for a few freaking months till the new thing is ready.

[/End Rant]

Well hold on here, NJT isn't spending their own money on this out of goodwill... this station was done from Federal Stimulus funds. Why it was Plauderville that got high platforms is beyond me. It seems that Radburn would have been a better candidate for this since it is the second busiest station on the line. Though I do admit that it is really annoying having only half the doors open at this station during rush hour... with people who have ignored the announcements standing by doors that do not open... then waiting for them to rush through the halls of the cars to get to the right door. It tends to delay the train a lot.
  by cruiser939

SecaucusJunction wrote:Well hold on here, NJT isn't spending their own money on this out of goodwill... this station was done from Federal Stimulus funds. Why it was Plauderville that got high platforms is beyond me. It seems that Radburn would have been a better candidate for this since it is the second busiest station on the line. Though I do admit that it is really annoying having only half the doors open at this station during rush hour... with people who have ignored the announcements standing by doors that do not open... then waiting for them to rush through the halls of the cars to get to the right door. It tends to delay the train a lot.
I like how you first make a complaint, and then go on to explain why your complaint is invalid. That was real cute.
  by Defiant

Defiant wrote:Nope, the trains still stop at the old, barely existing excuse of a platform. Only half of the train fits in. Meanwhile, the new, practically completed station is still not being used. I also noticed that the new station does not even have a climate controlled waiting area. It just has glass enclosure with no doors. Any idea why this station was designed this way? Most other bigger stations on BCL, such East Rutherford, Radburn etc have heated/air conditioned waiting areas with bathrooms.
cruiser939 wrote:Are you serious? Your question is basically why didn't they build a historic station house for the new platform. The reason Radburn and Rutherford have climate controlled waiting areas is because there are old station houses there.
Well Cruiser, building a "historic" station is an oxymoron. Obviously that is not what I was suggesting. But I don't understand why Garfield does not deserve a modest climate controlled station with bathrooms. If that is too expensive, at least a shelter with closing doors that would make it bearable in winter weather. Instead, it is just a glass enclosure with no doors, almost like a bus stop. I bet the ticket area is climate controlled with a bathroom that is not open to the passengers.
Defiant wrote:So if it takes more than a year to complete one station, how long will it take for the 7 mile Cutoff train restoration? 7 years?
cruiser939 wrote:How long would you like it to take in order to complete a station on a busy rail line under traffic? As for your timeline, why do you equate building a station to building a 1 mile stretch of railroad?
Well, the structural parts that had anything to do with traffic were finished last year. It seems that minor enhancements and finishing touches are taking most of the time.
  by SecaucusJunction

cruiser939 wrote:
SecaucusJunction wrote:Well hold on here, NJT isn't spending their own money on this out of goodwill... this station was done from Federal Stimulus funds. Why it was Plauderville that got high platforms is beyond me. It seems that Radburn would have been a better candidate for this since it is the second busiest station on the line. Though I do admit that it is really annoying having only half the doors open at this station during rush hour... with people who have ignored the announcements standing by doors that do not open... then waiting for them to rush through the halls of the cars to get to the right door. It tends to delay the train a lot.
I like how you first make a complaint, and then go on to explain why your complaint is invalid. That was real cute.
Not at all. High Level Platforms would be great at all NJT stations but since the budget is not really there, they should focus on stations with the most ridership. Maybe a better solution would have been to give Radburn high level platforms and just extend (cheaply) the low level platform at Plauderville to enable more cars to have open doors not unlike Rutherford has. No invalid statements from me.
  by Hawaiitiki

With Plauderville-updates and Wesmont's construction; Garfield getting "Great Notched" is far more likely than it getting anysort of expensive ammentities.