• New BCL Plauderville Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by typeadam

Anyone know what's going on w/ this new station?! How long can it take to build this? They filled up that entire lot where that plant used to be with condos in Garfield in 1/4 the time it took to build this station. I see construction dudes there every morning so what's going on?
Wait, let me guess. It's not private money so they're going to milk it as long as they can to get paid?
  by cruiser939

typeadam wrote:Anyone know what's going on w/ this new station?! How long can it take to build this? They filled up that entire lot where that plant used to be with condos in Garfield in 1/4 the time it took to build this station. I see construction dudes there every morning so what's going on?
Wait, let me guess. It's not private money so they're going to milk it as long as they can to get paid?
DCA is still having fun complaining about little things they'd like to have changed to the station. Thanks though for your wildly baseless assumptions about the project "milking" money as long as they can. It's always nice when new posters just announce that they know nothing instead of actually having to figure it out over time.
  by Roadgeek Adam

cruiser939 wrote:
typeadam wrote:Anyone know what's going on w/ this new station?! How long can it take to build this? They filled up that entire lot where that plant used to be with condos in Garfield in 1/4 the time it took to build this station. I see construction dudes there every morning so what's going on?
DCA is still having fun complaining about little things they'd like to have changed to the station. Thanks though for your wildly baseless assumptions about the project "milking" money as long as they can. It's always nice when new posters just announce that they know nothing instead of actually having to figure it out over time.
Why does that not surprise me? They wanted a statue of James Garfield there, like really, we spend ARRA money on a statue of dead president? If not to laugh in their face, I'd put the graffiti-filled ticket machine on the platform to laugh at them.
  by typeadam

cruiser939 wrote:
It was wildly baseless and I know nothing about it. Not going to argue that.
I've asked 3 different crew members on various trains, in the friendliest, most polite manner (I'm not joking, despite how my post sounds, I'm a very docile and passive dude) if they happen to know anything about it and they all responded basically "it's open when it's open" with a very F off tone.
I just dismissed their response as having a hard day and that's it. Consider my post an irritated response b/c I'm just overly curious.
Do a lot of the posters on this board work for NJT? Many of you just seem very edgy and annoyed by newcomers.
Hey, I get it. You work with a large amount of the public every day. You have to make sure safety is always kept in high regard. And I know many passengers can be annoying. I don't envy your hectic jobs. But there are those who have jobs just as stressful or just as dangerous, whether they deal with 10 people at a time or 1,000... just sayin'..
On a lesser note, I understand how it is when newcomers to a forum can seem like little kids wanting to talk with the grownups. I probably would have replied with a sarcastic comment too.
BTW, I'm not sure what DCA is. At any rate, I overheard 1 passenger say to another that the station will be open fall 2012. I don't know if that's true or not. If so, that's a long way off, but at least I have a time-frame to look forward to now. That's all...
  by SecaucusJunction

What a joke that would be if it was true. I was there 2 days ago and the new station in it's current condition is in much better shape than the existing station. They could open it today and it would be an improvement. I think sometimes regulations get in the way of the common good. In the half hour or so that I was there, I saw 7 guys digging a hole between the tracks but no one working on the station.

The only station in worse shape than the current one is probably Garfield.
  by R36 Combine Coach

SecaucusJunction wrote:The only station in worse shape than the current one is probably Garfield.
Delawanna could be equally depressing, with those crumbling original 1925 staircases. Bloomfield looks bad too.
  by Roadgeek Adam

Meh, Delawanna at least has better shelters and quasi-good parking compared to Garfield. Garfield, as I mentioned earlier has been a piece of crap since the station depot burned in the 1970s. It's obvious where the station was and what it has now is rather lame indeedy.
  by cruiser939

typeadam wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:
Do a lot of the posters on this board work for NJT? Many of you just seem very edgy and annoyed by newcomers.
Hey, I get it. You work with a large amount of the public every day. You have to make sure safety is always kept in high regard. And I know many passengers can be annoying. I don't envy your hectic jobs. But there are those who have jobs just as stressful or just as dangerous, whether they deal with 10 people at a time or 1,000... just sayin'..
On a lesser note, I understand how it is when newcomers to a forum can seem like little kids wanting to talk with the grownups. I probably would have replied with a sarcastic comment too.
BTW, I'm not sure what DCA is. At any rate, I overheard 1 passenger say to another that the station will be open fall 2012. I don't know if that's true or not. If so, that's a long way off, but at least I have a time-frame to look forward to now. That's all...
You will find here an equal number of employees, little kids who are too eager about everything that moves on the rails, youths who are generally curious about the railroad, older people who are curious and somewhat knowledgeable, and older people who think they know way more than they really do.

I'm not annoyed by newcomers, as long as they're don't barge on the scene like some witness to a car accident. When you come here and with your 3rd post are implying that NJT is purposely dragging their feet trying to "milk" as much money from the state as possible; well then of course I'm going to respond with a great deal of sarcasm. It's got nothing to do with thinking my job is more/less important than anyone else's

Oh, and DCA is the department of community affairs. A virtually useless, bloated organization that has their noses in entirely way too many things.
  by typeadam

cruiser939 wrote: You will find here an equal number of employees, little kids who are too eager about everything that moves on the rails, youths who are generally curious about the railroad, older people who are curious and somewhat knowledgeable, and older people who think they know way more than they really do.

I'm not annoyed by newcomers, as long as they're don't barge on the scene like some witness to a car accident. When you come here and with your 3rd post are implying that NJT is purposely dragging their feet trying to "milk" as much money from the state as possible; well then of course I'm going to respond with a great deal of sarcasm. It's got nothing to do with thinking my job is more/less important than anyone else's

Oh, and DCA is the department of community affairs. A virtually useless, bloated organization that has their noses in entirely way too many things.

Understood.
Though I have to say, just b/c it's my 3rd post doesn't automatically make me any more or less knowledgeable than someone else. I read a lot, I don't interact a lot b/c I don't know enough about the railroad. And I don't claim to know anything about the railroad. It's just an interest to me as a commuter and in general.
And as for me saying NJT milking money, unfortunately that is said many times about many organizations when something seems to be taking very long and the public doesn't know why. I know why now so I was obviously being obtuse but I've dealt with my share of organizations doing just such things.. Yes, I was generalizing from experience.
Well, when it opens, it opens, I guess. Wish they'd keep the public informed but we'll see...

I know this may sound crazy but any chance that they could scrap this build now or postpone it indefinitely?
  by cruiser939

typeadam wrote:
cruiser939 wrote: You will find here an equal number of employees, little kids who are too eager about everything that moves on the rails, youths who are generally curious about the railroad, older people who are curious and somewhat knowledgeable, and older people who think they know way more than they really do.

Well, when it opens, it opens, I guess. Wish they'd keep the public informed but we'll see...

I know this may sound crazy but any chance that they could scrap this build now or postpone it indefinitely?
The problem is, NJT doesn't even have a good handle on the opening period because of the stupid DCA inspectors that keep coming out. It'd be nice if they could just give you a punchlist of changes instead of coming and finding problems piecemeal. Would you rather NJT kept setting dates and then breaking right through them or giving you a date at a late point that they were pretty sure they could keep?

Also, no. There is no way a project this far along would be cancelled. You basically have the station complete and sitting right there along the ROW. The PR from that would be ridiculous, and unfortunately, PR drives way too many decision at NJT.
  by BlockLine_4111

Any news update on when "new Plauderville Station" shall go live (i.e. open up)?
  by waldwickrailfan

BlockLine_4111 wrote:Any news update on when "new Plauderville Station" shall go live (i.e. open up)?
lets just say not tomorrow ;)
  by Roadgeek Adam

When the DoCA takes a shot in the wallet stuck in its crotch.
  by BlockLine_4111

The new EXIT signs on the e/b platform are burning bright.