• The Raritan Valley Line Thread…

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by red92s

Thats pretty cool, people really underestimate what their cars can do. Something like a Chevy Impala handles surprisingly well, not that it'll look pretty doing any of the exercises that we do. Usually the people who bring the worst cars learn the most and actually drive the best. I can't tell you how many people with BMWs and Acuras hit tons of cones and nearly loose it with cars that are light years better.

Just out of interest do NJT drivers get any additional training beyond just needing to have a license? Our course is mainly for corporations so it's pricey for individuals, but if you're looking to do something like that, look up Street Survival courses by the BMW club of NJ or TireRack.com and you'll learn more or less the same stuff.

Glad we can distract each other,

and thanks to a bunch of other posters for all the information on the Comet 3s and the PVs.

[/quote]Oh wow!!! I love it when you guys are in the parking lot! Seeing those generic American Sedans actually being driven in fun manner is a nice distraction to me :) Ive always wanted to do one of those high performance driving schools they look like so much fun! I was working out there about 3 weeks ago when there was a class going on in the parking lot. I was jealous :)

I received a report that the Comets were Comet 3s from the MMC - why they went out to Raritan, i have no idea. It was the same loco, the 4302 I think it was, that brought back the two private cars, they are stored up in Lebanon on a siding at the station. I believe i read somewhere that they are going to be in Philly for National Train Day this Saturday so they are probably getting in position for that.[/quote]
  by Jtgshu

Next time i see you guys out there, ill give ya an extra few toots on the horn as im leaving Bridgewater going west :)
  by OportRailfan

srock1028 wrote:This morning, 5710 had the 4206 in the lead with 6 comet cars. Looks like something ended up in the worng place last night.

NO BS

-A
Not sure which train it was destined for, but 4214 + 6 was waiting to come out of the club for the RVL I guess. Saw it when I was going east on 2312.
  by srock1028

OportRailfan wrote: Not sure which train it was destined for, but 4214 + 6 was waiting to come out of the club for the RVL I guess. Saw it when I was going east on 2312.
The 4214 and 6 comet cars were on 5749 last night and started on X573/5710 this morning.

No BS

-A
  by Jtgshu

McManners, did you get the honor of dealing with the old stuff?

:)
  by cruiser939

red92s wrote:Just out of interest do NJT drivers get any additional training beyond just needing to have a license?
When you say NJT drivers, do you mean engineers or regular employees who use company cars? I can tell you that us non-engineers who use fleet vehicles are only required to have a valid license and it gets quite nerve-racking driving with some of the other incompetent drivers from work.
  by OportRailfan

cruiser939 wrote:
red92s wrote:Just out of interest do NJT drivers get any additional training beyond just needing to have a license?
When you say NJT drivers, do you mean engineers or regular employees who use company cars? I can tell you that us non-engineers who use fleet vehicles are only required to have a valid license and it gets quite nerve-racking driving with some of the other incompetent drivers from work.
That's why they let you drive the party van so much, right?
  by CNJGeep

4031/4012 are sitting on Tk. 5 ready to head west @ 0600 5/6/11
  by cruiser939

OportRailfan wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:
That's why they let you drive the party van so much, right?
That, and the fact that they trust me to do the partying. ;)
  by SledDawg

FYI: Last week an NJT contractor did some work at High Bridge Station.
Repaired the concrete wall and steps on the NW side of the building, which were crumbling and getting dangerous. A worker I spoke to said they would do the Rte. 513/Main Street steps in the spring - they are in better shape (and used more by passengers heading for the parking lot down the street.)
They also repaired (and replaced?) some of the boards over the windows and perhaps most important, painted the entire station. It's now a weird sort of pink and light green, almost a PC green. I asked the guy where this came from and he said it was "historical". Really? I asked... I can't recall seeing any CNJ structures in those colors. "Well, they told us they did some research..." Uh, OK. ;-) Anybody know what he's talking about or have a hand in it? Were there ever such colors?

I'll try to get a photo or two and post...
  by Jtgshu

I saw that and the station looks great! Even if not historical (it might be, the CNJ used some wierd colors) it looks great! I could smell the fresh paint as I was changing ends last week on the train, I wish I had more time to check it out,but it was the going home train (the trip back to the yard) so there is NOTHING that gets in the way of that! :)
  by Ken W2KB

SledDawg wrote:FYI: Last week an NJT contractor did some work at High Bridge Station.
Repaired the concrete wall and steps on the NW side of the building, which were crumbling and getting dangerous. A worker I spoke to said they would do the Rte. 513/Main Street steps in the spring - they are in better shape (and used more by passengers heading for the parking lot down the street.)
They also repaired (and replaced?) some of the boards over the windows and perhaps most important, painted the entire station. It's now a weird sort of pink and light green, almost a PC green. I asked the guy where this came from and he said it was "historical". Really? I asked... I can't recall seeing any CNJ structures in those colors. "Well, they told us they did some research..." Uh, OK. ;-) Anybody know what he's talking about or have a hand in it? Were there ever such colors?

I'll try to get a photo or two and post...
As I recall from the 1960's the CNJ Bayonne West 8th St Station was painted a light green, with darker trim, it looked rather greyish due to weathering and grime. I don't recall any pink.
  by Mike77E9

Today in Bound Brook, I noticed that train #5749 to High Bridge had it's entire train set wye'd. The cab car was leading towards High Bridge, and the PL42 was shoving on the Newark side. Any idea why this is/was?
  by cruiser939

Mike77E9 wrote:Today in Bound Brook, I noticed that train #5749 to High Bridge had it's entire train set wye'd. The cab car was leading towards High Bridge, and the PL42 was shoving on the Newark side. Any idea why this is/was?
How do you know the set was wye'd? Maybe it was looped.

Sh!t happens on a railroad. The train was represented and not cancelled so whatever the reason is, no one at NJT really cares and there will almost definitely be no answer forthcoming for your question. Sorry to be blunt here, but that's just the way things are.
  by Mike77E9

cruiser939 wrote: How do you know the set was wye'd? Maybe it was looped.

Sh!t happens on a railroad. The train was represented and not cancelled so whatever the reason is, no one at NJT really cares and there will almost definitely be no answer forthcoming for your question. Sorry to be blunt here, but that's just the way things are.
God forbid if someone should see something out of the norm, get curious, and ask a question on the NJT forum. The attitude and course response was not necessary, although I don't think anyone would expect less out of you. Last I checked, this forum was for railroaders and railfans alike. Sorry if I even bothered to ask a question.