Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by nyrmetros

tun wrote:
nyrmetros wrote:Gonna be terrible after Rangers games or coming back from Red Bull Arena late at night. :(
You can throw in Yankees games to that mix.

A night out in the city to go drinking hasn't really been affected though. The 1:19am and 3:19am are still there. :-) A 2:19am would definitely be appreciated though. There have been many nights where I wanted to stay a little longer than the 1:19 but not long enough for the 3:19.
Same here. haha. The 2:19 would be the sweet spot. Those drunks trains are always packed to capacity.
  by RandomRailfan

Count me in for a 2:19 and 4:19 train, that way nights out in the city would be much easier.
  by nyrmetros

So it looks like the PW branch coming out of Penn will run on the xx:19 of each hour........
  by nyrmetros

So I went to the first NYR preseason game last night. The game went into OT and ended about 9:40 pm. Waited for the 10:19 which was packed. Can't imagine a regular season game.
  by R36 Combine Coach

tun wrote:A night out in the city to go drinking hasn't really been affected though. The 1:19am and 3:19am are still there. :-) A 2:19am would definitely be appreciated though. There have been many nights where I wanted to stay a little longer than the 1:19 but not long enough for the 3:19.
On New Years' Eve, there's also one added train early on the morning of Jan. 1 on the Port Washington branch. Forget what time it leaves Penn, though.
  by nyrmetros

Caught the 9:48 from Penn after last nights NYR game. The train was crowded but not packed. We waited for about 5 minutes at the Shea station for some Mets fans which made the train packed. Seems like most of the train got off @ Bayside.
  by nyrmetros

The 10:18 after Tuesday nights Rangers game was packed. Off peak price is now $6.25.
  by nyrmetros

Wow, when did the off peak price jump to $7.25 ??
  by Amtrak7

nyrmetros wrote:Wow, when did the off peak price jump to $7.25 ??
December 30, 2010. And one way/round trip tickets are only good for 2 weeks now/10 trips for 6 months. $10 refund fee!
  by Crabman1130

Literallt Intended to Ripoff Riders
  by LongIslandTool

The intent is to protect against larcenist riders who turn in tickets that were used but not serviced by crews.
  by Crabman1130

So the railroad conciders every person with and unpunched ticket a larcenist.
  by LongIslandTool

Just the ones who refund their used tickets, which made up the vast majority of ticket refunds.
  by Doc Emmet Brown

I was on line in Port Washington a few years ago, waiting to turn in.
The Passsenger in front of me was filling out the ticket refund form.
He had just gotten off the train that came in.
He wrote down in the reason for refund section of the form, Ticket not collected.
Vic, the agent out there for many years, read it, then looked up at me and asked to borrow my punch.
I slipped it through the window.
Vic then proceeded to punch the ticket, and said to the passenger, no refund, ticket serviced, and wrote that down on the form as the reason for no refund.
Asked Vic what that was all about, and he said, I gave out my last service punch.
Gotta love it.
Different Railroad back then.
  by BobLI

I swear you cant make up some of the real life stories you hear on here. Thats sooooooooooo funny! Please share more if you have them.