Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by LongIslandTool

I believe Babylon is number four, but I might be corrected on that. It was higher before the electrification of the Main Line. Many folks used to drive to Babylon and Hicksville before Ronkonkoma became electrified.

Going back perhaps 60 years, Rockville Centre was number one, before that, 80 years ago, it was Far Rockaway.

Suburbia has moved eastward.
  by 4behind2

Lenny Dykstra "commuted" from time to time and he would be keyed off at Shea.

After "KO" was electrified, Pt. Jeff and Speonk trains became virtually empty. This led to standing room only conditions especially on Train 2011 (?), which was advertised a running time of roughly fifty-six minutes nonstop between KO and Penn. Add all of the VC who drove from Holtsville, Medford, and Yaphank and points farther east, and one can see why the parking and crowding conditions exist today on the mainline stations. I'm sure all the "planners" in local governments right through to the Carrier are still "assessing" this situation.
  by M&Eman

4behind2 wrote:Lenny Dykstra "commuted" from time to time and he would be keyed off at Shea.

After "KO" was electrified, Pt. Jeff and Speonk trains became virtually empty. This led to standing room only conditions especially on Train 2011 (?), which was advertised a running time of roughly fifty-six minutes nonstop between KO and Penn. Add all of the VC who drove from Holtsville, Medford, and Yaphank and points farther east, and one can see why the parking and crowding conditions exist today on the mainline stations. I'm sure all the "planners" in local governments right through to the Carrier are still "assessing" this situation.
The obvious answer to reduce Main Line crowding is to electrify to at least Port Jeff and Patchogue, maybe even to Speonk. You have people who live 5-10 minutes from Montauk or Port Jeff line stations who drive to Ronkonkoma and clog up the trains. You need to have attractive service on more than one east end line.
  by nyrmetros

Do you think that most of the people who commute from Bayside live in the immediate area or park at Bayside so that on the way home they have some dinner/drinks options?
  by LongIslandTool

Look at the demographics, the am vs. pm ridership and you'll presume they live in the area.
  by alchemist

There are a few Bayside passengers who, like me before I retired, walk to the station. A lot more come down from the Bay Terrace area on the Q13 bus or up from Bayside Hills on the Q32. And quite a number drive from the surrounding area and park on the local streets within 4 blocks or so from the station. A significant number drive in from northwest Nassau county and park on the streets - saves a zone or two on their tickets.
  by Doc Emmet Brown

Correct Alchemist, Many people drive to the bayside station area too.
I lived on 214th place near the firehouse for 3 years after my divorce, and if you went out in the morning you could forget about parking your car until the evening rush when they came back for their cars.
It was so bad i sometimes left my car at my fathers house, in his driveway, and walked home.
He lived on the other side of northern blvd near ps 31.
Yeah I could of just lived with him.. but it would have been like George Costansa on sinefeld.. I had to have my own space.
(SERENITY NOW!)
  by nyrmetros

Does anyone know the history of the freight elevator at Bayside?
  by R36 Combine Coach

Built 1928 (during grade separation) for express/LCL.
  by M7 Warrior

Hey Guap, were you king of your own castle , master of your own domain ? (Seinfeld references).
  by geico

4behind2 wrote:Lenny Dykstra "commuted" from time to time and he would be keyed off at Shea.

2011 is a local now. 2013 is the super express now although it is advertised as 1 hour , 6 minutes with a stop in Hicksville now.
Why did the RR drop the less than 1 hour express from KO?
  by Doc Emmet Brown

When you are divorced you become master of your own domain, I am speaking of the seinfeld reference.
I would have been the first one out.
  by M7 Warrior

LOL Doc just like Cosmo huh ?
  by Doc Emmet Brown

Slams the money on the table... "I'M OUT!"