• The Maine Central Railroad Mountain Division

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by Hoghead

Yeah ! two rails behind and if you were operating under NORAC you should've been able to stop short of the bars ! Assuming that part of the RR and your motor car group is governed by NORAC there . Of course communaction with all party is always the key. Hopefully it didn't cause you too much damage !
  by NHN503

Hoghead wrote:Yeah ! two rails behind and if you were operating under NORAC you should've been able to stop short of the bars ! Assuming that part of the RR and your motor car group is governed by NORAC there . Of course communaction with all party is always the key. Hopefully it didn't cause you too much damage !

We do operate under NORAC, but you cant stop for something you cant see even at restricted speed! I was actually saying to my passenger "Theres no joint bars..." and slowing down when *bam*! I was at about 5 MPH. It just popped the front axle off the rail and I hit my head on the door jamb. No damage to the car :-D
  by Cowford

So the line between the ME border and Intervale is being cannibalized? I'm not objecting, just curious... is this done under cover of night, or with the sanction of the state of NH?
  by merrman

First of all, they are not cannabalizing between ME and Intervale. A certain quantity of joint bars were removed from
a stretch in the Center Conway area by the CSRR, for use elsewhere on the system, during a time when these items
werein short supply. The rails, ties, plates etc are still in place.
  by NHN503

merrman wrote:First of all, they are not cannabalizing between ME and Intervale. A certain quantity of joint bars were removed from
a stretch in the Center Conway area by the CSRR, for use elsewhere on the system, during a time when these items
werein short supply. The rails, ties, plates etc are still in place.
And done with the permission of NHDOT.
  by Cowford

A certain quantity of joint bars were removed from a stretch in the Center Conway area by the CSRR, for use elsewhere on the system
It may not be extensive, and the removed parts can be replaced... but it is cannibalization, nonetheless.
  by 4266

Just to clarify. We're talking like a mile and a half of track, between the Saco River bridge and the Maine border, that hasn't been used since the 80s. Call it what you want, but to say that the CSRR is "Cannibalizing the line between the ME border and Intervale" is a bit of a stretch.
  by Cosmo

4266 wrote:Just to clarify. We're talking like a mile and a half of track, between the Saco River bridge and the Maine border, that hasn't been used since the 80s. Call it what you want, but to say that the CSRR is "Cannibalizing the line between the ME border and Intervale" is a bit of a stretch.
I respectfully dssagree. The correct verbage IS "Cannibalize/ized/izing." We do it in the Navy all the the time and that's what it is called. HOWEVER, the verbage itself might be somewhat misleading, so here's the "Sailor To English" traslation:
CANNIBALIZE: Moving a working, fuctional and or operable system, part or componant from a "Low-Priority" asset or platform (ie: ship, plane, submarine,) to a HIGHER Priority Platform in order to fulfill a mission, deployment capapbility or other such tasking. Parts that are "cannibalized" ths way don't often STAY cannibalized for long, especially if the "donor" platform recieves higher priority tasking. In other words, it s common enough for the "missionary" one week to become the cannibal the next week.
I won't go into all the practicalties of doing things this way, (lest I accidentaly let slip some State secret or someting,) but that's just how it's done and what we call it.
For a railroad to do the same makes perfect sense and, call it what you like, it's pretty common there too. :wink:
  by p42thedowneaster

...One day a GP40 enters the shop at Waterville ME, it is stripped of everything imaginable, and then two years later it emerges running with a fresh coat of paint!
  by 4266

Its not the use of the word that's a stretch, but rather the implication that CSRR has been tearing up the state- owned tracks between the Maine border and Intervale when it was actually only about a mile and a half stretch in the middle of a green tunnel.
  by Cowford

Henceforthn the term cannibalize shall be replaced with "selective and discrete track material redeployment."

Sigh
  by Mikejf

Cowford wrote:"selective and discrete track material redeployment."

Sigh
I like that. It's perfect.
  by Cosmo

OH MY! As if PC hadn't gone far enough!
*SIGH!*
*Makes a Tactical Withdrawl To The Rear.*
  by Ridgefielder

Cosmo wrote:OH MY! As if PC hadn't gone far enough!
*SIGH!*
*Makes a Tactical Withdrawl To The Rear.*
Ahem-- I believe you actually mean a *Retrograde Movement* :wink:
  by Mikejf

Ian,
Any word on the potential rail theft from the Saco river Bridge at Hiram?