• And the cutting begins

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by bikentransit

Well we all knew this was coming at some point.
  by boxcar

I believe all the cuts will depend on how much of a fare increase there is. You don't want to lay off engineers or conductors when the most senior of the ranks will have 30 years in sooner than later. Hiring freeze-ok. combining some non-agreement departments-fine. Eliminating some departments-definitely.
  by TREnecNYP

The cutting should begin with highway projects. Raise the gas tax all ready!!!!

- A
  by WaitinginSJ

TREnecNYP wrote:The cutting should begin with highway projects. Raise the gas tax all ready!!!!

- A
But we need them to get to all the places we could take transit to, but can't because they're cutting it
/end sarcasm/
  by Jersey_Mike

Code: Select all
First question is its always 1 dollar. Is there something preventing wealthy guys who don't want a salary to work for zero? Just a curious question. Also a senators salary is 175,000 I believe. Gov. probably should make more but if he is asking everyone,every agency to sacrifice I think he along with all the politicians should share too. I mean he wants to cut unemployment. If that happens the politicians need to take a cut in pay. JC
Some states have laws requiring elected officials to take their full sallary. The (correct) reasoning is that if it becomes expected that elected officials accept a token sallary, only independantly weathly people could run for public office, which might be considered a bad thing. Of course at that point the official can always donate the full amount to charity, but I think the point is a valid one.

Incidently, many people complain that public sector management sallaries are too high because the caliber of management is sometimes not up to the level that they expect. However the problem could be that the sallaries are too low and only attract the poorest quality of manager. With the financial services industry sucking all of the talent out of the CEO pool with multi-million dollar bonuses the only ones left to work for 6 figures either are extremely civic minded, under qualified or corrupt.

While its east to complain about overpaid fatcats, there is a reason that executives can command high sallaries. Good management in a highly political environment is a rare skill and lowballing the sallary might mean you get what you pay for.
  by JLo

I just sat through a meeting with one of Christie's advisers on unrelated issues. While incredibly painful, NJT's getting off light compared to what is planned for the entire state. I am a fiscal conservative at heart, but I shiver at the thought of what is coming.
  by Grump

JLo wrote:I just sat through a meeting with one of Christie's advisers on unrelated issues. While incredibly painful, NJT's getting off light compared to what is planned for the entire state. I am a fiscal conservative at heart, but I shiver at the thought of what is coming.
Does it really make a difference if someone shoots you in the head once or ten times?
  by cruiser939

Grump wrote:
JLo wrote:I just sat through a meeting with one of Christie's advisers on unrelated issues. While incredibly painful, NJT's getting off light compared to what is planned for the entire state. I am a fiscal conservative at heart, but I shiver at the thought of what is coming.
Does it really make a difference if someone shoots you in the head once or ten times?
It does if you're the bad guy from The World is not Enough:

by matawanaberdeen

Jlo like what? Now I'm curious. I said it many times. If he pushed too hard too fast hes going to be kicked out. JC
  by bikentransit

Seems to be a recurring problem in NJ. One gov raises taxes, gets kicked out, the next one gets too conservative, then gets kicked out (or rescued by the famous Republican resuce helicopter)
  by matawanaberdeen

bikentransit wrote:Seems to be a recurring problem in NJ. One gov raises taxes, gets kicked out, the next one gets too conservative, then gets kicked out (or rescued by the famous Republican resuce helicopter)
Agree 100% that is what keeps happening. Can we find a happy medium one time? JC
  by Roadgeek Adam

matawanaberdeen wrote:
bikentransit wrote:Seems to be a recurring problem in NJ. One gov raises taxes, gets kicked out, the next one gets too conservative, then gets kicked out (or rescued by the famous Republican resuce helicopter)
Agree 100% that is what keeps happening. Can we find a happy medium one time? JC
Taxes are actually a big reason on Florio's termination back in 94. In a recent poll, the most favored governor of all living ones (Byrne-Christie) is Thomas Kean actually, who hasn't served in 20 years, so we'll see
  by Port Jervis

Tri-State Tom wrote:Just for some perspective....

The principal of our junior HS gets paid $105,000 per. AIR, this individual also commutes to the school in a Mercedes.

What's Christie's salary ? Did Corzine take a pay cut from '07 thru '08 ? Will Christie ? Did the entire state legislature take a minimum 15% pay cut ?
I heard Christie say on the radio yesterday that he actually earns less than the NJT Chairman.
  by radioboy

Jtgshu wrote:I wouldn't be surprised to see his salary cut to what the governors is. I can see Gov Christie making that a mandate that no one employed by the state make more than he does.
Christie said on Ask the Governor last night that some people are going to make more than him, and the guy managing a system of buses, rail, and light rail with 11k employees is going to be one of those people. Go too low and you won't draw the management talent you want.
When they asked if he or anyone else would like what was coming in the March 16 budget, his answer was just "No". I'll be very interested to hear the calls he takes on 101.5 that night.
  by matawanaberdeen

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
matawanaberdeen wrote:
Taxes are actually a big reason on Florio's termination back in 94. In a recent poll, the most favored governor of all living ones (Byrne-Christie) is Thomas Kean actually, who hasn't served in 20 years, so we'll see
I agree people still love Thomas Kean. He may have been the happy medium that we'll never see again? JC