• And the cutting begins

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Roadgeek Adam

jimzim66 wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:
No offense to anyone here, but I think the executive director annual salary - After canning the 10,000, slap another 150,000 at least off of that salary. If we can't earn 98,000 commonly, he shouldn't be getting 248,000. That is a waste of our limited taxpayer money. Director or not, he doesn't need 248,000 dollars.
Agreed. Wow, a salary cut from $261,000 to $248,200, what a sacrifice!
Unfortunately. 5% of that already ridiculously high salary is only $13,050. What I am asking for is a 62% pay cut, something I am sure no politician in Trenton has ever considered. If you counted up all the paycuts in Jersey that last 20 years, I am pretty sure it comes near that.
  by Jtgshu

Come on, lets get real here.

You cannot expect the director of one of the largest transit agencies in the whole US and even the world to work for under 100k. Talk about a public vs. private sector argument.....I don't think in the private sector, that salary would draw real high quality talent in the application pool.

I wouldn't be surprised to see his salary cut to what the governors is. I can see Gov Christie making that a mandate that no one employed by the state make more than he does.

This isn't Communism here. Its getting rediculous and to a point, disturbing with the "If I can't, no one can" attitude by people any more. "If we can't commonly make 98k he shouldn't get his salary?" wtf?

Boy, isn't envy one of the 7 deadly sins???? Thats something to think about.
  by matawanaberdeen

Jtgshu wrote:Come on, lets get real here.

You cannot expect the director of one of the largest transit agencies in the whole US and even the world to work for under 100k. Talk about a public vs. private sector argument.....I don't think in the private sector, that salary would draw real high quality talent in the application pool.

I wouldn't be surprised to see his salary cut to what the governors is. I can see Gov Christie making that a mandate that no one employed by the state make more than he does.

This isn't Communism here. Its getting rediculous and to a point, disturbing with the "If I can't, no one can" attitude by people any more. "If we can't commonly make 98k he shouldn't get his salary?" wtf?

Boy, isn't envy one of the 7 deadly sins???? Thats something to think about.
I can't agree more,great post. JC
  by Tri-State Tom

Just for some perspective....

The principal of our junior HS gets paid $105,000 per. AIR, this individual also commutes to the school in a Mercedes.

What's Christie's salary ? Did Corzine take a pay cut from '07 thru '08 ? Will Christie ? Did the entire state legislature take a minimum 15% pay cut ?
  by Sirsonic

Corzine was independently wealthy and so elected to take only $1 a year as salary. I don't know how much Christie is getting paid (he can decide to take less than the max, but if he had done so Im sure this would have been in the news) but the governors salary is $175,000 a year.
  by matawanaberdeen

Sirsonic wrote:Corzine was independently wealthy and so elected to take only $1 a year as salary. I don't know how much Christie is getting paid (he can decide to take less than the max, but if he had done so Im sure this would have been in the news) but the governors salary is $175,000 a year.
First question is its always 1 dollar. Is there something preventing wealthy guys who don't want a salary to work for zero? Just a curious question. Also a senators salary is 175,000 I believe. Gov. probably should make more but if he is asking everyone,every agency to sacrifice I think he along with all the politicians should share too. I mean he wants to cut unemployment. If that happens the politicians need to take a cut in pay. JC
  by fishmech

matawanaberdeen wrote:
Sirsonic wrote:Corzine was independently wealthy and so elected to take only $1 a year as salary. I don't know how much Christie is getting paid (he can decide to take less than the max, but if he had done so Im sure this would have been in the news) but the governors salary is $175,000 a year.
First question is its always 1 dollar. Is there something preventing wealthy guys who don't want a salary to work for zero? Just a curious question. Also a senators salary is 175,000 I believe. Gov. probably should make more but if he is asking everyone,every agency to sacrifice I think he along with all the politicians should share too. I mean he wants to cut unemployment. If that happens the politicians need to take a cut in pay. JC
The $1 salary thing is a symbolic gesture, really. It just sounds nicer to hear the governor has decided to only take $1 as his salary instead of the governor will take no salary.
  by MetucheNscale

Sory, I miss-posted this under "cuts," here is where it belongs . . .

"Details on fare hikes and service cuts will be announced next week, and public hearings will be held in late March, officials said."

Glade I just moved from NJ to PA, cut my property taxes in 1/2, and my car insurance by $ 500. Senior train fare from Haverford to Center City (or on any SEPTA train trip in PA) is only 85 cents with trains running every 1/2 hour downtown (with no delays stuck in a tunnel.) NO state tax on retirement income. Four bus routes at my door, one is a one seat ride to the Philly airport (# 115), 2 routes to the "High Speed Line" (# 115 & 106), and 3 routes to 69th St. (# 103, 105, & 106.) Senior fare on all city and suburban busses, trolleys, and subways is $ 0.00 (all seniors get a free pass 24/7.)
  by ns3010

Not at all sure, but it may be some legal thing. Then again, it could not be.
  by Matt Johnson

Jtgshu wrote:
This isn't Communism here.
In Soviet Russia, car drives you!
  by necrails

You can complain all you want but the director didn't have to take a 5% cut. Any more and he can take is ball and play somewhere else. The bottom line is NJT has to get creative accross the board and look to eliminate redundancies. For example in Bayonne there are buses on JFK Blvd, Ave C and Broadway. Each main ave is 1 block apart but all have differing destinations. Maybe a bus route or 2 down the spine of Bayonne providing similar service, a walk of a block by some citizens but maintaining overall service. I'll bet there are lots of examples throughout the state with similar overlaps. As far as rail is concerned, the organization just has to replan based on current available funds. Plan routes and services as a startup with the new limited revenue. Might even come up with better overall options. You can whine all you want but money isn't there so lets get creative to perserve whats left.
  by cruiser939

MetucheNscale wrote:Sory, I miss-posted this under "cuts," here is where it belongs . . .

"Details on fare hikes and service cuts will be announced next week, and public hearings will be held in late March, officials said."

Glade I just moved from NJ to PA, cut my property taxes in 1/2, and my car insurance by $ 500. Senior train fare from Haverford to Center City (or on any SEPTA train trip in PA) is only 85 cents with trains running every 1/2 hour downtown (with no delays stuck in a tunnel.) NO state tax on retirement income. Four bus routes at my door, one is a one seat ride to the Philly airport (# 115), 2 routes to the "High Speed Line" (# 115 & 106), and 3 routes to 69th St. (# 103, 105, & 106.) Senior fare on all city and suburban busses, trolleys, and subways is $ 0.00 (all seniors get a free pass 24/7.)
Thanks for reposting the exact same thing 12 hours later in a different thread for us. I really wanted to read again about all the different fares that could be paid on Septic. http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 19#p778119

It shouldn't come as a surprise to you that I'm being sarcastic.
  by matawanaberdeen

necrails wrote:You can complain all you want but the director didn't have to take a 5% cut. Any more and he can take is ball and play somewhere else. The bottom line is NJT has to get creative accross the board and look to eliminate redundancies. For example in Bayonne there are buses on JFK Blvd, Ave C and Broadway. Each main ave is 1 block apart but all have differing destinations. Maybe a bus route or 2 down the spine of Bayonne providing similar service, a walk of a block by some citizens but maintaining overall service. I'll bet there are lots of examples throughout the state with similar overlaps. As far as rail is concerned, the organization just has to replan based on current available funds. Plan routes and services as a startup with the new limited revenue. Might even come up with better overall options. You can whine all you want but money isn't there so lets get creative to perserve whats left.
I like the approach your taking. Its solutions oriented. The problem is we are told they are going to be in a 300 million deficit next year. You can't just be smart with that big a hole and have a good agency. I don't know what the end game is for the Gov.? I just don't get it. JC
  by njt5140

fishmech wrote:
matawanaberdeen wrote:
The $1 salary thing is a symbolic gesture, really. It just sounds nicer to hear the governor has decided to only take $1 as his salary instead of the governor will take no salary.
That's all a load of BS, if you all honestly believe that he worked for $1 a year I have a plethora of bridges that are for sale across the Delaware..... You KNOW he made some secret deal to keep raking in $175K/year!
  by fishmech

njt5140 wrote:
fishmech wrote:
matawanaberdeen wrote: First question is its always 1 dollar. Is there something preventing wealthy guys who don't want a salary to work for zero? Just a curious question. Also a senators salary is 175,000 I believe. Gov. probably should make more but if he is asking everyone,every agency to sacrifice I think he along with all the politicians should share too. I mean he wants to cut unemployment. If that happens the politicians need to take a cut in pay. JC
That's all a load of BS, if you all honestly believe that he worked for $1 a year I have a plethora of bridges that are for sale across the Delaware..... You KNOW he made some secret deal to keep raking in $175K/year!
HE didn't make a secret deal. Dude was a multimillionaire, he probably made $175k a day on investments alone.