• Power outlets on pax cars/emu.

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Jtgshu

cruiser939 wrote:
boxcar wrote:I'm poor! Does anyone want to donate to the Boxcar charity?
Feed the cruiser939 foundation. It's a 501 c 3 charity.

Come on guys, I'm hungry!
Ive seen him eat....he is a hungry little bugger! Its like he is only let out of his cage once a day......

:wink:
  by cruiser939

Jtgshu wrote:
cruiser939 wrote:
boxcar wrote:I'm poor! Does anyone want to donate to the Boxcar charity?
Feed the cruiser939 foundation. It's a 501 c 3 charity.

Come on guys, I'm hungry!
Ive seen him eat....he is a hungry little bugger! Its like he is only let out of his cage once a day......

:wink:
It's for the good of humanity.
  by TREnecNYP

The engineer was on a septa train, not NJT. I paid 49.99 for my iPhone, and my girlfriend & i split the phone bill about 1/3rd me and 2/3rd her. I am unable to work for a variety of reasons which i really do not wish to discuss on here at the moment.

I don't want this thread locked, i simply stated that it seems, to me, unprofessional of persons who i personally hold in high regard to be doing wildly non-job related things while train with pax is in motion in a revenue move (including the person playing a game on laptop). Please don't mistake my intentions. If pax should not use outlet intended for maintenance folks, i only suggest(ed) they be seen as not part of the train they should be involved with as far as job duty is concerned. If they need to charge a phone or personal crew radio or some such thats another thing.

Back on topic.

As far as the HEP, how often does this in-car power system need to be worked on, how often does an external power source need to be brought in (or the car to be hooked to another in MU case) for it to work for the maintenance folks, is it pretty reliable for them? Do they prefer running off the car's battery vs overhead line through HEP? Also, it seems the single & pair MU's have them in slightly different places, is this due to the variation in electrical layout, or is the variation due to when in the build order they were constructed?

- A
  by sixty-six

TREnecNYP wrote:The engineer was on a septa train, not NJT. I paid 49.99 for my iPhone, and my girlfriend & i split the phone bill about 1/3rd me and 2/3rd her. I am unable to work for a variety of reasons which i really do not wish to discuss on here at the moment.
SEPTA, NJT, who cares? No matter what the railroad is, youre just a passenger. Stop assuming things.
I don't want this thread locked, i simply stated that it seems, to me, unprofessional of persons who i personally hold in high regard to be doing wildly non-job related things while train with pax is in motion in a revenue move (including the person playing a game on laptop). Please don't mistake my intentions. If pax should not use outlet intended for maintenance folks, i only suggest(ed) they be seen as not part of the train they should be involved with as far as job duty is concerned. If they need to charge a phone or personal crew radio or some such thats another thing.
Was that really necessary?
  by sean3f

If they need to charge a phone

I thought cell phones were banned because of the so called distraction issue.

Now the new Apple iPad should be perfect for use in the cab. It can't make phone calls, does not have a camera and is not like a laptop at all. It's like a big e-book reader, so how can anyone be against that? Would you object if the crew were reading a newspaper while operating or getting down with some rolling stones, I think not.
  by cruiser939

sean3f wrote:I thought cell phones were banned because of the so called distraction issue.
Nothing against a cell phone that's powered off.
  by Jtgshu

sean3f wrote:
If they need to charge a phone

I thought cell phones were banned because of the so called distraction issue.

Now the new Apple iPad should be perfect for use in the cab. It can't make phone calls, does not have a camera and is not like a laptop at all. It's like a big e-book reader, so how can anyone be against that? Would you object if the crew were reading a newspaper while operating or getting down with some rolling stones, I think not.
Sorry, you think wrong .............

Engineers have gotten in trouble for just having Newspapers in the cab of the loco and reading them in the cab of the loco before the train has even boarded.

The FRA emergency order issued after the Chatsworth crash discusses ELECTRONIC DEVICES - It doesn't say only cell phones - it says ELECTRONIC DEVICES (meaning anything).

All under the umbrella of removing possible distractions from the operating compartment.

But the radio still fill the cab with a rediculous amount of radio traffic and noise, especially on Amtrak territory, around Newark and NY.......but thats not a distraction I guess. Listening to "track car TCA328432432432BTC plus 132 pieces with the TCA2383423432432ATC on the hind end" get a Form D, reading it back wrong, repeating it back like 5 times, all the while 10 trains are calling out of stations "on signal indication" reading off every temporary speed restriction from Newark to Newport News, and other trains are calling on to the railroad giving their consists 3 times becuase each time they are getting stepped on.........oh what the hell, lets thrown in a bridge strike somewhere around Linden, and additions to the TSRBs and you have a normal crossection of about 3 minutes of NEC radio traffic.

But thats not a distraction..........
  by TREnecNYP

jimzim66 wrote:SEPTA, NJT, who cares? No matter what the railroad is, youre just a passenger. Stop assuming things.
I don't assume things, i ask questions, hence the existence of and the me saying i do not want this thread locked. It irked me because of what happened on the metrolink, he could easily have had the device in his lap since he was sitting in the seat immediately above the outlet being used by what was obviously an iPhone. He chose to keep it in the cab, leaving the mini adapter & usb cable plugged in and vulnerable to be stolen/tampered with/damaged by pax. The adapter by itself costs 30 something dollars.... that alone lead to me into being irked.

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac19 ... effabb.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac19 ... a12550.jpg

As a passenger i'm allowed to be irked by things that seem out of place, even if they are not. It's called being aware of my surroundings, something many passengers and people in general are very much not. This lack of awareness and general contempt for common sense not only irritates the crew visibly as i sit & watch and feel bad for them as its their job to collect fares and the like, but it also irritates me because as stated above i am fully aware of my surroundings, even to things i don't want to be. I'm just trying to bring my tiny speck of train riding experience to bear on issues, not trying to seem like i know it all, because i really don't and that is why i ask questions, i really don't need folks to be rude to or short with me.

So anyways, any info on the other questions i asked? I've been curious about this for nearly a decade.

- A
  by sixty-six

TREnecNYP wrote:
jimzim66 wrote:SEPTA, NJT, who cares? No matter what the railroad is, youre just a passenger. Stop assuming things.
I don't assume things, i ask questions, hence the existence of and the me saying i do not want this thread locked. It irked me because of what happened on the metrolink, he could easily have had the device in his lap since he was sitting in the seat immediately above the outlet being used by what was obviously an iPhone. He chose to keep it in the cab, leaving the mini adapter & usb cable plugged in and vulnerable to be stolen/tampered with/damaged by pax. The adapter by itself costs 30 something dollars.... that alone lead to me into being irked.

http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac19 ... effabb.jpg
http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac19 ... a12550.jpg

As a passenger i'm allowed to be irked by things that seem out of place, even if they are not. It's called being aware of my surroundings, something many passengers and people in general are very much not. This lack of awareness and general contempt for common sense not only irritates the crew visibly as i sit & watch and feel bad for them as its their job to collect fares and the like, but it also irritates me because as stated above i am fully aware of my surroundings, even to things i don't want to be. I'm just trying to bring my tiny speck of train riding experience to bear on issues, not trying to seem like i know it all, because i really don't and that is why i ask questions, i really don't need folks to be rude to or short with me.

So anyways, any info on the other questions i asked? I've been curious about this for nearly a decade.

- A
You dont know when to stop do you? Now seems like the perfect opportunity for Nick to come in and stop the shenanigans.
  by Uzi-Cat

Where is Susan Powter when you need her. STOP THE INSANITY?
  by Grump

Does anyone else think that TREnecNYP and philipmartin would make great friends?
  by Uzi-Cat

The obvious thing here is that their first date won't end in Philip Martins Honda. No room!
  by Jtgshu

You know what irked me about the Metrolink crash?

They were so quick to blame the dead engineer and then come out with knee jerk rules and orders and laws which are rediculous and overbearing.

To me, there is a lot that to this day doesn't make sense about that accident.....just a lot of things don't seem to make sense.

But that is a whole other topic, and really straying......There are plenty of other threads on this site in various forums that discuss that accident.

So lets drop the whole train crew/cell phones/chargers/etc in this thread before it gets locked and deleted.

Its good to be aware of your surroundings...but you don't need to report every thing you see that may or may not see to the internet......
  by TREnecNYP

I think you folks are misunderstanding my comments a great deal. It seems like you all know each other, and while it may be ok to have inside jokes and the like, all i was trying to do was make the point that i expect railroad/transit employees to behave as well as pax, not a double standard.... while trying to get technical info and more of a better idea about the power outlets on NJT's passenger car and MU fleet from a strictly technical and proper use context, such as someone using one to plug in a tool such as a drill or a vacuum cleaner who's job it is to do that. I don't poke my nose into where it doesn't belong, or assume things about anyone, or any equipment or rail operations, i ask questions to gain knowledge, because assuming only leaves you with enough information to possibly very wrong about something. My best friend's dad worked in amtrak's power supply (overhead line power) dept for 30 years before he passed from medical issues... My girlfriend's dad has worked for penn central then conrail then NS in north jersey for 40 years and i understand any railroad job takes a toll on folks because it is demanding physically, mentally, and emotionally. I have nothing but the utmost respect for any/all rail employees, without them stuff would come to a standstill pretty fast. As far as the metrolink incident, i don't know enough about it to comment on it aside that it made me worried based on the information i did read in the news etc when i did see a iPhone charger leading into an engineer's cab, not accusing him, just concern. Hope that clears things up and we can get back on topic because i'd like to have these questions answered. :)

- A
  by RearOfSignal

You can charge an iPhone with it being powered off. No rules violations there.