• New Jersey Seashore Lines: was CNJ being cleard Woodmansie>N

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by southern sec. kid

Mr. Ed wrote:You need to take a photo next visit!

Later!
Mr. Ed
I actually probably have one with her hahaha
  by John_Henry

Postby wolfboy8171981 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:31 am
Tom_E_Reynolds wrote:The recent filing says he proposed to buy a LV line in Jersey City. Anyone know where that is?

Its not near anything that was/is active or wil ever become active again.
So where is it, active or not?
  by rrbluesman

The pics in the last post make it look like the new ties are being placed in ash/sand roadbed, will the tracks be ballasted after tie replacement?
  by Hulka

That last picture, how does it look up next tot he lake? Are the track still buried partially in the mud?
  by Tanker1497

Hulka wrote:That last picture, how does it look up next tot he lake? Are the track still buried partially in the mud?
I did not walk far I just wanted to see that they did do some work,I only walked a couple of hundred yards in.
  by wolfboy8171981

Dont know if its related or not, but a really large front end loader has been sitting at the entrance to Heritage Minerals at Rt70 in Manchester the last few mornings on my way home from work.......
  by stevenx202

As far as the front end loader, I myself have seen it on my way home from work. and just yesterday, (friday) there were unloading a large trackhoe. I took a walk out to the tracks last week. There taking the loader and moving all the sand that has washed on the tracks over the years away...were talking...6 feet is some areas, exposing all the rails. Im going back out tommowo to see if anymore work has been done. Ill keep you all updated. Also a month or two ago, a large machine came thru and wiped all the brush clear. making the path of the railway very wide. From lakehurst out past whiting. The big problem i see is the section of track they removed awhile back when they repaved 530. the would be a huge project to rip open the road and relay track. However they put in a small cut through road behind the shopping center last year, called Diamond Rd(where the crossing for the north/south east/west lines once sat) They made that road with crossing signs, paint on the road and lefts tracks, neatly paved around them, looks like its ready for a train. so only time will tell.
Last edited by stevenx202 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by stevenx202

I walked from lakehurst into heritage minerals and this is what I found...

Image Some retaining wall, recently built

Image Standing on tracks, looking north

Image Some ties replaced, however spikes are missing, about 3 inch gap between rail and plate...rail was put in backwards...only on one side...kind of fishy...could have been some joe shmo

Image Clayton dumpster, looks like has been there quite some time, full of brush and debri.
  by napp11

nice pics, what do u think the wall is for and are there sidings in the mineral pit for loading cars?
  by glennk419

napp11 wrote:nice pics, what do u think the wall is for and are there sidings in the mineral pit for loading cars?
The retaining wall is there to keep the sand from flowing back onto the ROW.
  by stevenx202

the sidings are very much so burried, so burried, if i took a picture, i wouldnt even be able to explain where they are. full grown trees and sand covering them, the only thing they uncovered wwas the top of the rails of the main strech. and the loader is no where to be seen anymore.

Glenn about those retaining walls, i thought that to, but if that was tru, wouldnt they have gone higher, and all the way down? they only put them in areas that were driven, but not all the areas, just the bigger openings. there are huge piles of sand lining the ROW, see below

Image (facing south) see how the retaining wall stops, only where theres no sand dunes

Image (facing northest)
opposite side, another opening they blocked off

Image (facing northeast again but further south) the siding is back in there at some point. very over grown, not even touched
Last edited by stevenx202 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by limejuice

stevenx202 wrote:Some ties replaced, however spikes are missing, about 3 inch gap between rail and plate...rail was put in backwards...only on one side...kind of fishy...could have been some joe shmo
One spike per side is customary on tangent track, the gap could be due to equipment rolling over a soft spot. Holding gauge is more important than surfacing at this point anyway. I'm not sure what you mean by the rail being put in backwards?
  by stevenx202

ha no i mean no spikes what so ever, i could have took the plate out....theres a worn edge of the rail and a factory edge. and theres a ground wire i sopose it is? well the wire was hacked off, and the worn edge of the rail is now facing out. makes sense to do that.....but it wasnt consistant...and the job was not complete. just doesnt seem right. and its not like they started at the road and worked in, its just a random spot. about ....25-30' long i sopose, and thats it.
circled areas are with no spikes

by wolfboy8171981

stevenx202 wrote:ha no i mean no spikes what so ever, i could have took the plate out....theres a worn edge of the rail and a factory edge. and theres a ground wire i sopose it is? well the wire was hacked off, and the worn edge of the rail is now facing out. makes sense to do that.....but it wasnt consistant...and the job was not complete. just doesnt seem right. and its not like they started at the road and worked in, its just a random spot. about ....25-30' long i sopose, and thats it.
circled areas are with no spikes

Its possible that the peice of rail that is "backwards" was replaced and not spiked in yet, or simply reversed to give it more life, and not spiked in yet. The "ground wire" is acually a bond wire for the crossing. If the rail was taken up, as i suppect, the bond wire would be taken off. I dont know at this time whos maintance resposabilty Union Ave will be, there is no need yet to replace the bond wire.