• New Jersey Seashore Lines: was CNJ being cleard Woodmansie>N

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Pinewald Station

The new $$$$$$ dredge at Woodmansie is up and running so they can pump some major sand now......
  by Blackseal Jim

Ive heard that as well about New Jersey sand. Ill take one for the team and try hard to increase the need for beer bottles!
Jim H
  by SemperFidelis

The sort of sand being used in the PA drilling operations is known as Frac Sand and is used to hold open cavaties caused by drilling, thus allowing the natural gas to escape.

The best sand for this sort of use appears to come from Texas, not south Jersey, but there are pits in south Jersey that provide frac sand. The last time I was at Woodmansie, they sold only concrete sand and mason sand. I'm not sure if they sell frac sand.
  by GSC

Blackseal Jim wrote:Ive heard that as well about New Jersey sand. Ill take one for the team and try hard to increase the need for beer bottles!
Jim H
(^^^ aka "Bottles" ^^^)

There's a good man!!! I promise to do my part as well. Scotch and Irish whiskey comes in glass bottles too.

Frac sand has to be rather loose, I'd guess, to allow vapors to rise thru it. Wonder how beach sand would work? That stuff is very loose.

Beach sand...beer bottles...perfect together!
  by CJPat

I sometimes use a sand in our biological growth process that has specs very similar to what they use in the Petroleum drilling market. It is a hard product to find. We utilize Unimin's production facilities in either Texas or Illinois. I didn't think Jersey sand had the adequate properties to meet the driller's uses. However, it makes an excellent building product.
  by Matt Johnson

I'm afraid the lack of any high speed rail stimulus funding for this route means that 200 mph running is unlikely.
  by Jtgshu

Matt Johnson wrote:I'm afraid the lack of any high speed rail stimulus funding for this route means that 200 mph running is unlikely.
Gee, ya think?

We'll be lucky if we see 20mph running........
  by Matt Johnson

I dunno, the existing track in those photos looks to be good for at least 160 mph!
  by CJPat

200 mph?, 160 mph?

Matt, I hope you are truly exercising your keen sarcastic wit.

Maybe they will upgrade the Newark Airport Monorail to 160-200 mph running? The only problem would be hanging onto your baggage and the pole at the same time. :P
  by Hulka

I recall seeing a bridge from a siding in Heritage Minerals years ago (~97 or 98) while out there on my quad with a friend. We rode the tracks from the old ultra light airport on Whitesville Rd aka 527 all the way to the pit. I do not recall exactly where the siding was at but remember riding down it and into the pit. I do remember a bridge and thing that the weekend parties that were very common out their might have burned it down at some point. I will have to ask a friend that is on the Forest Fire Service if he recalls.
  by Hulka

OK, after reinstalling google earth I did find the location I was thinking about but it is more of a metal structure for a dam out there, I guess for cranberry bogs or something. I do not know if it is part of the rail road at one time or another but there is a old row, no tracks or anything, that crosses farther over 539 farther south of the current one by Passadena Rd. I will dig around and try to find it and post the coordinates.
  by Shark

Matt Johnson wrote:I'm afraid the lack of any high speed rail stimulus funding for this route means that 200 mph running is unlikely.
I don't know, I hear that the Seashore Lines is looking to have a few G3 Pacifics built for the purpose of ressurecting The Blue Comet. I'm sure they will be rated for 250 mph running.

Anybody find a pair of pants???
  by TBRED

Yo,Yo..I'll run that thayr train....Wassa matta shark,Dont wanna be frenz no maw?......