• Train for the movie "Unstoppable" filming on the WNYP.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by jgallaway81

When the train sets reach Tyrone and the Nittany & Bald Eagle Line from Tyrone to Lock Haven, I'll let you all know.

Altoona's news services (paper & tv) covered the events a couple weeks ago... the people of Tyrone were invited to apply to become extras in the movie when filming commences down here.

I'm hoping to get a shot of the engines at the old interlocking plant on the NBER line (MP-3), where the line from Tyrone to Philipsburg used to branch off.
  by bwparker1

I read today in the SEDA COG JRA Minutes that Century 21 Fox dumped over $300,000 into the NBER for filming of this movie, including the removal of all of the old PRR Signals between Tyrone and Milesburg I believe.

Any idea why they are filming in these different locations, first the WNYP and now the NBER? I wonder if WNYP got any significant money out of their filming deal...

BWP
  by scharnhorst

why get ride of the old PRR signals kind of sounds like these yuppies are anti-history as well.
  by rearedevice

They can get a movie filmed on the WNYP but railfans cant charter a excursion train on the same tracks? That are publicly owned by the Southern Teir Deveopmemt Authority
  by pablo

As has been said on this forum and others countless times, passengers are a no-no, much to some people's chagrin.

I am certain that the movie people conducted this as a business transaction, and it has been treated as such. I understand that's the case as far as the symbols the trains got by dispatch personnel.

Rearend, move on.

Dave Becker
  by lvrr325

I would imagine for the kind of money the movie company spent you too could charter a train to ride the WNY&P. Got a few million you don't know what to do with?
  by Westfolk

bwparker1 wrote:I read today in the SEDA COG JRA Minutes that Century 21 Fox dumped over $300,000 into the NBER for filming of this movie, including the removal of all of the old PRR Signals between Tyrone and Milesburg I believe.

Any idea why they are filming in these different locations, first the WNYP and now the NBER? I wonder if WNYP got any significant money out of their filming deal...

BWP

The movie is based on this incident. http://kohlin.com/CSX8888/ The story I was told is that they wanted tracks that would closely relate to the lay of the land in Ohio. The biggest problem they had was finding rail companies that would deal with them to do the movie. This as told to me by one of the production guys one day while we BSed during "dry run" shooting in Turtlepoint.
The track had alot of repairs and upgrades done to it to permit higher speeds for the movie. All paid for by the movie. WNY&P received free track work and money on top of that for the use of the line.

The film company is no longer on the buffalo line. As of yesterday the last of their equipment left headed to Tyrone, PA to start filming on the NBER. There may be something sitting in the Olean yard....the only place I didn't check. Since everything else is gone I'm guessing that there is nothing sitting in the yard.
  by scharnhorst

Westfolk wrote:
bwparker1 wrote:I read today in the SEDA COG JRA Minutes that Century 21 Fox dumped over $300,000 into the NBER for filming of this movie, including the removal of all of the old PRR Signals between Tyrone and Milesburg I believe.

BWP

The movie is based on this incident. http://kohlin.com/CSX8888/ The story I was told is that they wanted tracks that would closely relate to the lay of the land in Ohio. The biggest problem they had was finding rail companies that would deal with them to do the movie. This as told to me by one of the production guys one day while we BSed during "dry run" shooting in Turtlepoint.
The track had alot of repairs and upgrades done to it to permit higher speeds for the movie. All paid for by the movie. WNY&P received free track work and money on top of that for the use of the line.

The film company is no longer on the buffalo line. As of yesterday the last of their equipment left headed to Tyrone, PA to start filming on the NBER. There may be something sitting in the Olean yard....the only place I didn't check. Since everything else is gone I'm guessing that there is nothing sitting in the yard.

It would be funny if the locomotives ended up traveling back and forth across the state on CSX before makeing it to there next interchange.
  by firefighter1811

I would like to go see the train were is the best place to see it? I am going to tyrone ether tomorrow 10-13-09 or on thuresday what day will be best?

Mike
  by jgallaway81

I doubt the train will be in Tyrone, except for the days it is filming down here...

the equipment will likelly be stored in the yard at Lock Haven, or one of NBER's other facilities.

As soon as I see something in town, I'll post here. I'm hoping to get shots of the engines in the street-running trackage headed to the NS interchange.
  by firefighter1811

jgallaway81 wrote:I doubt the train will be in Tyrone, except for the days it is filming down here...

the equipment will likelly be stored in the yard at Lock Haven, or one of NBER's other facilities.

As soon as I see something in town, I'll post here. I'm hoping to get shots of the engines in the street-running trackage headed to the NS interchange.
Thanks for the Info Do you know how long they will be in Tyrone area? do you know are they going to film on the whole line between Tyrone and Mill Hall? I noticed the other day that the track infront of the Nittnay Mall was fixed up i wonder if that was for the movie as well? as that has been abandon since corning went out as far as I know...
  by dieselsgirlfriend

scharnhorst wrote:
Westfolk wrote:

BWP

It would be funny if the locomotives ended up traveling back and forth across the state on CSX before makeing it to there next interchange.

What is the story behind it and what happened?
  by EMTRailfan

dieselsgirlfriend wrote:It would be funny if the locomotives ended up traveling back and forth across the state on CSX before makeing it to there next interchange.

What is the story behind it and what happened?
Click on Brooks' link. :wink: