• Silver Lake Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Mattydred

Not to mention you canceled your big, Halloween train that I considered taking my nephew to. The color will have gone by in two weeks. It's October, it rains. Not to mention it's supposed to be nice Sunday. Is this a tourist attraction or not?
  by SilverLakeRailroad

Halloween train is still on, fday 16th and sat 17th.. We apparently ran 2 trains last weekend. 15 on the first, 2 on the second, no one for the rest of them, so because of the rain, and the fact that no one shows up, were done.. This year has consistently become washed out, and i think that due to the rain, its scared people out of the white mts. Come down to the halloween train, It will be a great time. train rides every 15 minutes. Com,e early to bypass escape the 1 hr line!
  by SilverLakeRailroad

!!!halloween train This upcoming weekend; october 16th, and 17th!!!!

I hope to see big crowds again this year! train rides 7-9 . Train rolls out every 10-20 minutes for a 10-15 minute ride!!! great for kids, and adults!
  by Mattydred

SURE TO BE CANCELED LAST MINUTE DUE TO SOME TRIVIAL REASON!

What a mockery of such a great and fabled branch. You'd be better off going to a friends' backyard live steam track, or joining a railcar club. Ten minute rides? Really?
  by SilverLakeRailroad

Halloween train is still on.. Hope to see you tomorrow!
  by SilverLakeRailroad

What a great weekend.. As always our third annual Halloween train was a big hit! A total of 560 riders totaled ont on our 25 minute spooky runs :P .. Thanks for all that came and helped the MOHW committee. Thanks for a teriffic season.. Next train leaves July 3rd 2010 !
  by rwk

I stumbled across this and I'm surprised to see the line south of Conway being used. This sounds like an opportunity for the public to ride part of the line south of Conway that was abandoned for years. I have a question, why didn't Conway Scenic ever consider extending south of Conway? Is it because it would have cost too much to rehabilitate the track? They do have all that track in the opposite direction from North Conway for longer excursions so extending south of Conway now wouldn't make sense.
  by b&m 1566

There is little to no scenery south of Conway, most if not all the ties will need to be replaced and there is a lot of light rail in some areas (75lbs). Much of the line from N. Conway to Conway lacks scenery as well but is suitable for young children who want a train ride but don't have the attention span to sit more than an hour and for avid railfan's, it’s the chance to sit in a train pulled by a steam engine.
From 1972 - 74 the founders of the railroad went through a long legal battle with the B&M over the tracks. It was a court ruling in 1974 that forced the B&M to give up the line in the town of Conway since the B&M abandoned the Madison and Conway section two years prior. Had they been granted more track at the time, I'm sure it would have been taken and used.
  by silverlakerr

Hello there I am a volunteer of the Silver Lake Railroad. Well first off this forum looks awfully rough so lets change this. The train ride is defiantly a good chance to ride the conway branch, and in my ride of the Ossipee CVRTC ride, the SLRR 5 miles of operating rights and the CSRR. I personally think the Scenery from SLRR is just as good if not the best scenery than any other part of the whole conway branch. In 2008 SLRR was extended 3 miles more trackage by replacing a 100 foot washout. The washout was at 2 miles from the SLRR depot, and the scenic train currently goes out 3 miles from the depot. SLRR has 2 miles extra beyond the scenic trains ride is used by CVRTC on occasion and used on putt putt day. The scenery is very good and Im surprised CSRR never took the Line because is IS so scenic. If you haven't rode the SLRR since the beginning of August 2008 you definitely should because the scenery has gotten much better in that extra mile! But shouldn't this be in the CSRR forum? Anyhow you are correct it is a great chance to ride the conway branch. We may not have "real Railroad equipment" but its still considered a train by definition and I promise all will like it!
  by Otto Vondrak

silverlakerailroad wrote:Hello there I am a volunteer of the Silver Lake Railroad.
Welcome! Do you have a name?
  by b&m 1566

silverlakerailroad wrote:Hello there I am a volunteer of the Silver Lake Railroad. Well first off this forum looks awfully rough so lets change this. The train ride is defiantly a good chance to ride the conway branch, and in my ride of the Ossipee CVRTC ride, the SLRR 5 miles of operating rights and the CSRR. I personally think the Scenery from SLRR is just as good if not the best scenery than any other part of the whole conway branch. In 2008 SLRR was extended 3 miles more trackage by replacing a 100 foot washout. The washout was at 2 miles from the SLRR depot, and the scenic train currently goes out 3 miles from the depot. SLRR has 2 miles extra beyond the scenic trains ride is used by CVRTC on occasion and used on putt putt day. The scenery is very good and Im surprised CSRR never took the Line because is IS so scenic. If you haven't rode the SLRR since the beginning of August 2008 you definitely should because the scenery has gotten much better in that extra mile! But shouldn't this be in the CSRR forum? Anyhow you are correct it is a great chance to ride the conway branch. We may not have "real Railroad equipment" but its still considered a train by definition and I promise all will like it!
The scenery is good for a small operation like the SLRR but I don't think it would be enough to justify the Conway Scenic to venture south at the cost to rehabilitate it. Back in the late 70's early to mid 80's had the B&M sold the ROW, I think it would have been worth the time and effort for the Conway Scenic to utilize it because I'm sure the track was still in decent shape up to that point.
  by silverlakerr

Now here is the site will set up; http://www.freewebs.com/slrr1/ I realize it keeps getting bumped up but I want to "get the word out" now a quick question. Neil bought the domain name silverlakerailroad.com . but the site is made by i believe webs.com. Can we attach this somehow?

As to this CSRR stuff it seems that it should be in the CSRR forum but I don't give a care where it is so here i go; CSRR had the opportunity, but didn't take it. Dwight had a hard enough time "getting it going" as it is. Now on the other hand. The state owns the line; we just take care of it in a way that keeps the snowmobilers happy and us happy. We work together to keep the ROW in good shape even with our "busy beavers" as we say. CSRR cant get to us now unless coleman's were to "unblock" the ROW so as of NOW its all SLRR operating rights.
  by Otto Vondrak

silverlakerailroad wrote:Hello there I am a volunteer of the Silver Lake Railroad.
In a private message that was sent to me by "silverlakerailroad" this user refuses to identify himself, so I cannot verify that this person actually volunteers for SLRR.

-otto-
  by csrr1943

Great operation at the SLRR! I'm happy to hear that they will be opening the diner this year and look forward to riding on the SLRR.

I'm surprised there is so much negativity on this SLRR forum. It's free guys, what do you want them to serve Prime Rib for free too?
  by csrr1943

I just logged on to the SLRR site, and saw that it was "redesigned." It looks cool, check it out! I also see that the SLRR VID has been posted on their homepage. Good job to the SLRR on the movies. They are all really cool for "home" productions!