• Owego & Harford in SAYRE - Lehigh Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by setaf

Also my compliments on some very nice photos. Unfortunately, I don't live terribly close enough to catch them without a better timetable.
  by ANDY117

Thanks for the good words, guys! I was afraid I had lost my touch after months of inactivity!

I didn't know you were home, Tom!

The NS 5055 went south on 30T to Enola this afternoon.
  by Mr GP10

It seems as if they have a midday like schedule for the LR?
  by thannon

I can't vouch beyond Athens, and I've only heard or seen them three times since they started, but those were Mon & Tues around 14-15:00. I have no idea what days they work, if it's on demand or in schedule with the Owego Harford RR, or how often they plan on coming up to this end of the line.

EDIT-

Today (Thursday) they came up to Athens around 11:00, interchanged with the H11/12 and returned with around 30-35 cars at 14:00.
  by thannon

LR 2304 came up light today around 14:30. H11/12 were back around Horseheads by the time.

Around 15:20 they had started back from Sayre with around 10 boxcars for Mehoopany. Here they are between Main and North Elmira St crossings- note the yard limit sign to the right:

Closer view of the 2304. Scotty- this one still lettered for NYSW on the cab:

by setaf

Yesterday (Monday the 16th), they made the Wysox crossing going south about 0915. I was getting gas and heard the horns over near the Craftmaster plant, so was able to get a couple pics at the crossing.
  by thannon

They were westbound into Sayre at 16:48 on Wednesday. Headed back east around 45 minutes later.

At the risk of over doing the picture posting (redundant), here's the 2304 again in a snow squall:
  by clifford1

Wow! These are all great photos! What a fantastic rebirth of this line. I can't wait to get up there and see these units in operation. My brother and I are hoping to find some time to make a trip up to Towanda. I definately will have some good material to update the TMSL website (long overdue).

Please keep the pictures comming!

Chris Chamberlain
  by thannon

Thanks again for the compliments.

Noticed today that the Lehigh Railway, LLC is licensed for 161.31000 mhz (as is parent OHRR) effective 1-23-09. Much as expected.

Crew so far called NS for permission into Sayre (as far as I have heard), and uses NS's 160.800 mhz around Sayre (not sure exclusively).
  by sallenparks

Sorry so late with this report but on Thursday Feb 26th, was down in Towanda U23B 2304 was there.TMSL came out to get a hopper car.Does anyone know if that New Haven caboose is a real NYNH&H car.Nice TMSL crew.U23B 2302 was down in Mehoopany R&N SD40-2 3056 switching in the small yard again very nice crew and a very nice day to boot. SEE YA! all later.
  by scottychaos

I just did a big update to the "Shortlines of Owego" page..
mainly dividing the page into 8 smaller sub-pages..
which should make it more user-friendly now:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/owego/

thanks,
Scot
  by K4Pacific

14:00 Today the U23B went south after the hand off interchange with an amazing sizable train counting around 25 cars. They were all loads consisting of a dozen Mahoopany boxcars, a couple of tanks and hopper for Towanda. But the big thing I noticed this afternoon was 15 cars of loaded salt heading south. Perhaps someone could find out the destination. It's interesting there is Ithaca salt heading down the Lehigh.

Should we start moving this thread to the Pennsylvania side?
  by K4Pacific

Incidentally, between 13:00 and 14:00 today there were three trains in Sayre Yard. The Ithaca turn went north with 3 engines and 2 loaded left over Somerset coal hoppers and 15 MT salt. And of course the Sayre turn from Elmira next to the old LV passenger station shoving down to change cars with the LR on the southend at Athens. Just Cool SD40-2s, a U23B, and 3 C44-9s. Whatever.
  by tdw6974

I live in Sayre and haven't seen word one about the "New Railroad in Town" Was waiting at the Athens/Elmira St Cross expecting to see NS units and no its Lehigh Railway what the heck??? Tom Weaver Sayre PA first one of Family that hasn't worked for the Railroad Great Grandfather was Master Mechanic for system.