• Owego & Harford in SAYRE - Lehigh Railway

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by roadster

Thats odd, usually the power plants themselves have huge heaters inside the unloading sheds to thawout frozen loads. But I have also seen entire trains rejected by the plant for excessive contaimination ie: too many stones mixed into the shipment. If it is frozen, they may ship it south and let it sit on a siding in Alabama for a bit.
  by ANDY117

Any idea what radio frequency the LRWY is on?

I'll try and make it over tomorrow after school.
  by sallenparks

Well kids I can tell you both had already gone south no sign of them in Sayre this afternoon dont know when they'll return from Mehoopany.
  by thannon

I was at work, but my wife said they went past around 15:00 today.

K4- that grade is pretty extreme from a dead start up the hill. Usually the heavier trains have trouble there during the fall with wet leaves on the rails. Not really a frequent occurance, but it does happen.

Frozen load might indicate excessive moisture content in the load. Kinda like buying a lb of chicken...not a lb of meat in it.
  by K4Pacific

Thannon, NS put the coal train on old tracj 2, the A&P Industrial to thaw.

I went to Sayre for lunch today with client and we saw two tanks and three Mahoops for pick up at the south end of Sayre yard in Athens. So that was the train I assume. One should see larger trains as interchange warrants with RBMN.
  by rwk

I had a suspicion that the units would be black, but nice to see a diamond there on the front instead of a horsehead. Does this new operation plan any passenger excursions like the Finger Lakes Rwy. and the Reading and Northern?
  by thannon

NS 5101 with a long string (for one engine anyway) of box cars and a couple tanks by the house at 16:55.
  by scottychaos

A photo has been posted of the two units running "light" through Towanda on the 24th:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1467907

Not sure if they were running north or south though..
Anyone seen them back in Sayre yet?

Scot
  by TB Diamond

Appears that the units had been set out at Towanda. Note the freight cars to the right on the old LVRR MT and what appears to be a NS locomotive in the distance.
  by TB Diamond

Recently received information that the L Rwy. operating base may well be Towanda, PA. as Steve May is advertising for T&E personnel to work out of Owego and Towanda. Proposed startup of operations was given as 01 February 2009. This information is presented as it was related to me and and I do not guarantee its accuracy. It does, however, tie in with the fact that the locomotives were apparently set out at Towanda by the NS (reference the photo in the link provided by Scot, above).

Could Mr. May have possibly made a deal with T-MSL?

Will leave it to the local fans to sort this one out and look forward to whatever information that can be shared in this forum.
  by scottychaos

Thanks TB!
interesting about Towanda..

when I posted the photo:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1467907

I assumed the engines were running through Towanda..(I thought they might be on the mainline near Sylvania)
but they could have been standing still! dropped off there by NS..
the photographer didnt say if they were running or not..
TB Diamond wrote:Appears that the units had been set out at Towanda. Note the freight cars to the right on the old LVRR MT and what appears to be a NS locomotive in the distance.
yes, it does look like the spot right where TMSL meets the LV main!
I didnt really notice the tracks to the right the first time..

So this would be immediately north of the Susquehanna River bridge..where the Towanda station and coaling tower once stood..with the mainline off on the right edge of the photo..with cars on the line.

Back in 2004 when Chris Chamberlain posted his TMSL tour:
http://www.geocities.com/chrischamberlain1/TMSL.html
The TMSL was severed, in two pieces, due to road construction..
has the line been since re-connected?

I havent been to Towanda in probably 20 years...my grandparents lived there I was a kid,
we used to go there all the time..but they have been gone a long time now, so I havent had any reason to travel south of Sayre/Athens in ages...but now I do!

Scot
  by thannon

Long repaired Scotty, and you have the location correct.

Very quiet along the Athens end of the line so far. I haven't seen anything for days now, although the snow keeps getting pushed off the rails- they're rusty.
  by TB Diamond

Had the opportunity to photograph the T-MSL in October 2006. No. 26 was standing on a side track near where the Agway fertilizer plant is (was?), right off the new bypass road and just compass south of where the photo of the L Rwy. units was taken. It appeared that this was now the normal location for the unit when not being used. Years ago it was kept at the feed mill in Monroeton.

Scot:

Reference the photo: The L Rwy. units are on the T-MSL connector to the former LVRR MT. This is right about where the Towanda passenger station stood. The coal tower was compass north a bit, just about where the NS units are located.
  by unmotivated

I was in Towanda, PA on Tuesday the 24th. Saw both engines and they were not powered up. Nice looking engines. I can't wait to find some sunny days and those engines moving cars around.
  by thannon

Around 14:20 Tuesday, laid down with the flu, NS 5105 rolled by towards Towanda with the single four-axle and a string of boxcars.

I still haven't seen the 'new' units up here.