Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Otto Vondrak

Yankee Stadium as we know it has been in operation along the Hudson Line since the mid 1920s... why has there never been a game day station erected near here? Don't tell me it's Steinbrenner, because he only took control in the 1970s. I've seen football specials advertised in the 1960s and 1970s- ride the Harlem to Melrose, then take a bus to Yankee Stadium (to see the football Giants play). What, no baseball specials? I'm jealous of places like Fenway, Wrigley, and Camden Yards (I'm sure there are others) that have rail service...

-otto-

by DutchRailnut

why would every tax payer pay for a station only used by Yankee fans ??
Its Mr. Steinbrenner who would make the most money out of the deal. his increase in beer sales alone would pay for a station in 1/2 a year.
Paying this with general transportation money would penalize every taxpayer in MTA region.
  by Butlershops

[quote="DutchRailnut"]why would every tax payer pay for a station only used by Yankee fans ??
Its Mr. Steinbrenner who would make the most money out of the deal. his increase in beer sales alone would pay for a station in 1/2 a year.
Paying this with general transportation money would penalize every taxpayer in MTA region.[/quote]

Anything that reduces traffic on game days would help.

You have inadvertently stumbled upon an interesting point. What makes it OK to subsidize transportion for people going to work but not OK to take them to recreational events? I can see your point about Steinbrener putting up some cash. But why should he have to pay for a station if the companies in the vicinity of GCT do not? Perhaps the extra business would help the railroad.

by DutchRailnut

extra business never helps the railroads, transporting people cost more than ticket recovery.
lets put up a stadium or beer tax to pay for a station and shuttle service.

by NIMBYkiller

Well, they could have the Yankee Stadium station open year round for the areas residents as well.

by Terminal Proceed

they have a station for the area residents nr the stadium - Morris Hts. and the # 4 train.

by UpperHarlemLine4ever

"why would every tax payer pay for a station only used by Yankee fans ?? Its Mr. Steinbrenner who would make the most money out of the deal. his increase in beer sales alone would pay for a station in 1/2 a year. Paying this with general transportation money would penalize every taxpayer in MTA region." (Dutchrailnut)

Well Dutchrailnut the taxpayers of New York paid for Yankee Stadium. Not everyone uses it. Everyone living in the MTA service area pays for the MTA. Not everyone uses it. The MTA has a subway station at Aqueduct Race Track, a station at Shea Stadium and yes even a subway station at Yankee Stadium. Your argument holds no water.

If you want to say that the right of way that would be next to the Stadium presents some logistical problems; a very poor location because of it being in a cut or something of that nature, that would be another question.

I don't want to be confrontational but if you're going to put forth an argument why the station doesn't exist that's one thing but your argument is off base.

by RRChef

UHL
You are forgeting that Shea Stadium has a stop on the 7 train as well as a LIRR stop on the Port Washington Branch, although I will admit that for most people it is not easy to take LIRR to Shea. But, these two stations also service the Tennis Center. You are also forgeting that the LIRR has direct service to Belmont Park during the racing season and that the station there sits unused most of the time.

Hmm...I was just thinking....could it be that MR. Dutchrailnut is a Red Sox Fan????
  by Butlershops

[quote="DutchRailnut"]extra business never helps the railroads, transporting people cost more than ticket recovery.
[/quote]

Again, if this is the case why do we transport people to work in Midtown but not to sports events in the Bronx?

Why run commuter trains at all?
  by metroduff

Butlershops wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:extra business never helps the railroads, transporting people cost more than ticket recovery.
Again, if this is the case why do we transport people to work in Midtown but not to sports events in the Bronx?

Why run commuter trains at all?
Why serve workers but not Yankee fans? Because the traffic jams Yankee fans cause without commuter rail service are a flyspeck compared to the twice-daily traffic jams (and resulting flight of employment and residents from the region) that would result if the 80% of people commuting to New York who now use Metro-North joined the other 20% on the highways.

Public transport is provided at taxpayer cost because the benefits to those taxpayers -- riders or not -- far outweigh the cash outlay. The benefits of a Yankee Stadium stop would mostly accrue to the Boss.

by DutchRailnut

and no Dutchrailnut is a Feyenoord fan. but what that is Ill leave for you to figure out ;-)

by RRChef

If I'm not mistaken, Feyenoord is a soccer....oops sorry, Football club I believe from Rotterdam(sp?). How I know this is I spent 18 months cooking in Europe and the only live sports I would even consider watching were basketball and soccer.

by DutchRailnut

Correct RR chef and even Feyenoord had a station at Stadium but it was paid for by City not the railroad :-)
  by Butlershops

metroduff wrote:Why serve workers but not Yankee fans? Because the traffic jams Yankee fans cause without commuter rail service are a flyspeck compared to the twice-daily traffic jams (and resulting flight of employment and residents from the region) that would result if the 80% of people commuting to New York who now use Metro-North joined the other 20% on the highways.

Public transport is provided at taxpayer cost because the benefits to those taxpayers -- riders or not -- far outweigh the cash outlay. The benefits of a Yankee Stadium stop would mostly accrue to the Boss.
OK, this is the kind of answer I was fishing for. Now I get the point.

by shlustig

C. 1970's, the railroad and MTA looked into the possibility of a Yankee Stadium station on the Hudson Line. The platform would have been on the land side (Tk. 7 / 3). this was about the time when the high platforms were being constructed on the lower Hudson, and Hudson Tk. 3 was due to be removed between MO and FH (the interlocking just west of Marble Hill Station). A long tail track would have extended up to old High Bridge Stn. to store consists operated as baseball trains.

For whatever reason, the MTA and the Yankees could not agree on contract terms, and the facility was never built.