• Opinions Sought Regarding Life-Like's N Scale C424

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Earle Baldwin

I'm considering the purchase of the Life-Like C424 decorated for Conrail. Any insight regarding operational characteristics, accuracy of appearance and ease of replacing the Rapido couplers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Earle
  by jmp883

I have 2, decorated for EL, and they are excellent looking and running locomotives. Comparable to my Kato and Atlas diesels. M/T conversion was as easy as pulling the black retaining clip out, removing the Rapido coupler and spring, sliding in a factory-assembled M/T 1015 coupler, and replacing the retaining clip. Click on the website link under my avatar and you'll see my N-scale layout. On one of the photo pages there are several shots of my 424's.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the C-424. :-D
  by scharnhorst

Them N Scale C424's were delayed a number of Times on there 2ed release when CN and CP Rail stepped in to see that they were done correctly on there 2ed release. The first run was intended to be released in Canadian road names only before any thought was given to making them in American Road Names. The 2ed run came when CN and CP Rail stepped in and assisted in making sure that the 2ed run of C424's done correctly to Canadian specs. The old mods from the 1st run were based on American C424 Specs there for they were used to make C424's for American roads. The Canadian C424's are slightly different in detail compared to the American C424's in bell and horn placements as well as number boards and some other little odds and ends.
Last edited by scharnhorst on Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Luther Brefo

scharnhorst wrote:Them N Scale C424's were delayed a number of Times on there 2ed release when CN and CP Rail steped in to see that they were done correctley on there 2ed release. The first run was intended to be released in Canadadian road names only before any thought was given to makeing them in American Road Names. The 2ed run came when CN and CP Rail steped in and assisted in makeing sure that the 2ed run of C424's done correctley to Canadian specs. The old mods from the 1st run were based on American C424 Specs there for they were used to make C424's for American roads. The Canadian C424's are slightley diffrent in detail compared to the American C424's in bell and horn placements as well as number boards and some outher little odds and ends.

What?
  by scharnhorst

Luther Brefo wrote:
scharnhorst wrote:Them N Scale C424's were delayed a number of Times on there 2ed release when CN and CP Rail stepped in to see that they were done correctly on there 2ed release. The first run was intended to be released in Canadian road names only before any thought was given to making them in American Road Names. The 2ed run came when CN and CP Rail stepped in and assisted in making sure that the 2ed run of C424's done correctly to Canadian specs. The old mods from the 1st run were based on American C424 Specs there for they were used to make C424's for American roads. The Canadian C424's are slightly different in detail compared to the American C424's in bell and horn placements as well as number boards and some other little odds and ends.

What?
When the C424's came out in N Scale they were supposed to be a Canadian run only product by Life-Like Canada. A poll was taken from Canadian modelers who added there comments on how incorrect these units were in detail stateing that they looked to much like there American built cousins and not like MLW Built C424's. There for a 2ed run was done because the first run was a little off as far as details go. Both Canadian National and Canadian Pacific were both shown models of these units before the molds were made. Both railroads assisted in making corrections before a 2ed run was released! The first run of C424's was based more on American specs on C424's built by ALCO and not by MLW which also built some C424's both models are one in the same but spot different details between the builders.

This can be said for the Chop Nose GP9's that Life-Like Canada did one style for CN Units the Other style for CP Units.

All this was explained to me by the CEO at Pacific Western Rail System which is the biggest Model Railroad supplier in Canada and Walthers biggest competitor.