• CSX Track Upgrades & Infrastructure of Pan Am

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by newpylong

I don't recall the B&M ever using green over green on home signals when I was there but it was very common on distant signals instead of green over red. Both are the same clear aspect. The D&H also used them.
  by Allouette

NORAC signal rule 281 includes a two-head green over green to indicate "clear".
  by CN9634

RJ was working at Blake today (L052 overtook them mid-morning) putting out materials such as ties, tie plates and spikes along the ROW in prepartion of staring up the rail install. Some CSX crews out and around too, looks like several fresh spray markings around crossings as well.
  by F74265A

Interesting
In one of his earlier videos i had noticed s bit of a soft spot in the track coming off that bridge in clinton
And now there is csx working on it
Totally different approach than pan am
  by newpylong

Considering their president stood in front of my class (when I was a young conductor) and said "10 MPH is good enough for us", yeah the approach is a little different. We used to know it was that time of the year where the OCS would be due when they started to do a track blitz. Just enough lipstick on the pig for one day for one train to do 25. After that they couldn't have cared less.
  by CPF66

Its not really exclusive to CSX, but railroads normally do a lot of tamping and lining in the spring once things dry out as well as the fall before the dig freeze hits. For the last 10 or so years Pan Am would always did the main from Old Town to Waterville (and I assume to points further west) following the thaw in the spring, and normally in late October/early November they would do it again.
  by Safetee

One interesting qc thingie of note, in that video you couldn't help but notice all the raised/high spikes. Not necessarily something you would want to see especially in cwr.
  by neman2

Open deck bridges where ties are attached directly to the structure create a fixed hard spot, then the train hits the ballasted section which is more flexible and causes settlement, happens everywhere. Ballast deck bridges settle more uniformly with the approaches.
  by F74265A

Every bridge I can think of on the wml - all of which are ancient-has rails attached to bridge timbers.