• Official NYS&WTHS/Bel-Del News - 2008

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Donko142

Once again we are entering a new year and waiting to see what it brings. 2007 was a great year for the THSX-BDRV, we found ridership up again and were able to offer patrons yet another destination on the Railroad, The Corn Maze. 2008 will see the return of regular trains, wine trains, corn maze trains and will be adding another destination in 08 ( watch for this one ) Plus the holiday trains that were a overwhelming success. Like every winter the 142 is in the shop as part of a preventive maintenance program that’s in place. This winter the tender is getting a go over, trucks are coming out and being rebuilt among other things. The engine received major work last year and is in good shape, some minor running gear work will be conducted and the engines first broken stay bolt will be replaced. The group still works on the engine 4-5 days a week ( Jan-April ) and were always looking for more help from experienced people, or people with no experience at all ( we will gladly train anyone that wants to learn ). Some days we are just simply cutting brush like today. ( see other thread for pictures ) Plans for an open car are under way and the M-1 will hopefully be returning to the railroad soon to help with the sold out weekend wine train. This too is currently under repair, the floor is being replaced in our butler shop while the air is being brought up to date and light engine work performed. There are a few ROW projects going down in 2008 and we hope to find our way to Riegelsville before to many more years pass ( track work is big bucks ). The air was gone through on the passenger cars last year so now its time for other maintenance on them, they have hauled thousands and thousands of riders since 2005 and deserve there share of freshening up also. Things are improving year after year and the best days are certainly ahead of us. Like always we need more help, if you would like to get involved please P.M. me and I’ll do my best to answer any of your questions. We need train crews, help with the maintenance of equipment, maintenance of the ROW, an auto body guy would be great. The list goes on and on, so stop in and help out we could use you. I will try and update this tread on a regular basis and inform interested parties of what’s going on. My thanks to Railroad.net as we have gotten some new volunteers all ready this week directly though this site. Thank you!!

Update from this past weekend. The crews were working on 142 Fri, Sat, Sun removing different parts for inspection and so on.

Take care, Be safe and give us a hand if you can

[imImageg][/img]
Last edited by Donko142 on Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Donko142

The fire box, with grate out for inspection. Gates and ash pan new last year.[img][img]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg20 ... 0_1012.jpg[/img][/img]

by Donko142

We had a rare early week work party in Butler today. The M-1 project is underway in the Butler NJ shop, about 2/3 of the interior is out. The wood floor is being replaced and the air is being brought up to date. The engines were running strong today but will be getting a service before the car ruturns to the Bel-Del ASAP. As always new volunteers are welcome! ROW work party on Friday 2-8-08

Be Safe

[imImageg][/img]

by tracker

Donko142 wrote:The fire box, with grate out for inspection. Gates and ash pan new last year.[img][img]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg20 ... 0_1012.jpg[/img][/img]
Orbs in the firebox?

by sullivan1985

tracker wrote:Orbs in the firebox?
Particulate matter in the air/on the lens? A steam locomotives firebox sure isn't the cleanest place in the world.

by Otto Vondrak

Donko142- Thanks very much for posting updates on progress down on the THSX/Bel-Del. Keep 'em coming.

-otto-

by Donko142

Thank you Otto, will do. Having a great response from new people looking to help out, we need them. Running more and more trains every year.

Be safe

by Donko142

Thursday 2-7-08

Today was a little slow with only two of us working, Most volunteers work F,S & S. This is a fine example of " no experence needed " I found myself in and out of the smoke box needle scaling the steam delivery pipes, then it was outside on the steam chests and delivery pipes as Gary Mathews worked on some sheet metal repair. ( mig welder didn't arrive today, my bad ) so we had a change of work plans. If you look at the first pic from last Saturday you see Gary grinding welds away on the sheet metal around delivery pipes. Todays pic is after metal was removed, I'm getting the area ready for the new sheets Gary's making, once in place I'll weld them in and seal smoke box. Again no experence required, SAFTEY FIRST ALWAYS! Needle gun training takes about 1 to 3 minutes and your working on a steam engine, learning alot, plus having a good time if you like trains.

P.S. your work wear takes a beating.

Be safe, ROW clean up tomorrow.

[imgImage][/img]

by Donko142

Friday 2-8-07

We had a good group of guys today ( Plus a first timer, Thanks C ). We cleared another 1/2 of brush, plus the area of the main that needs work was cleared out and set up for the equipment to get in and assist. Next Wednesday we should be out with the track mower heading towards Milford. ( If weather works with us ). Group number two stayed in the shop working on the steamer.

[imImageg]

This section has the lightest rail on the railroad, only 131 RE.

[/imImageg]

Everyone Be safe! Stop in and check us out..

by CGRLCDR

Don, thanks for the invite; I had a great time today except for the part where I ran my Jeep over that big chunk of concrete in the grass. On the way out I whacked all the weeds and grass around it so people can see it better. I was considering jerking it out with my tow strap, but I wanted to check with you first and you were already down the road by then. If we don't remove it, then maybe we can paint it orange or something.

My Jeep is lifted about 3 inches, I can only image what that block could do to the undercarriage of a regular car, minivan or SUV.

Also, I had an enjoyable conversation with Gary and Doc. Gary and I have a few things in common. Could you please email me with his email address if you have it so I can send him some pictures that I have of the steamboat Sabino at Mystic Seaport.

by Donko142

Glad you had a good time Chuck, that's what it's all about. If were not having a good time, what are we doing. The cement block is really the original stand for the cross-bucks & light post on the East side of the tracks, west side is only one there. ( never had gates as far as I know ). We've all hit that over the years, your not part of the team till you hit it, then it's offical. So I think you were lucky yesterday, no damage and your vehicle and you became part of the team on your first day!! Will paint it and get you Gary's info. ( P.S. he hit it yesterday also )

THANKS AGAIN !!!! See you Wednesday.

by Donko142

Sat and Sunday Feb, 9th &10th

This weekend was like any other, crews were working in the shop at C-ville on 142. The smoke box work is almost done, as of Sunday night the replacement steel was ready to be welded in. The box should be welded up and back together by next weekend. Many other projects are underway like always, if you notice all the lubricators have been removed so they can be cleaned and inspected. This pic from Sunday shows some crew members on the engineer’s side getting ready to do some cab work, yet another new volunteer ( this week a resident of P.A. ) is working on the steam chest. Again I can’t stress enough the opportunity that anyone is offered here. We all like Railroads or we wouldn’t be reading this, if you have the time and CAN BE SAFE, get involved we would love to have you. There is something for everyone, painting, ROW maintenance, locomotive repair, air brake repair plus we need train crews. We will train you, brakemen, trainmen, conductor, learn to fire, the opportunity to go to engineer steam or diesel, trainmaster and so on is there for anyone that’s wants to put the time in.

Most are going back to work today, will be quiet till Friday as weather doesn’t look good for Wednesdays ROW clean up.

Be safe

[imgImage][/img]

by Donko142

Fed 15th- 17th

Just got back from vacation, was seeing the NYC in a different light.
One of last weekends projects was to jack the tender up and remove the trucks for maintance and inspection. Things went well and the trucks and out in the shop and ready to come apart this weekend. Work was still moving foward on other projects in the shop on the engine. We will be working on the ROW again tomorrow.

NYC @ M.P. 60 looking north towards Lk. Placid [imImageg]

Tender jacked up [/imgImage]

Truck in shop ready for maintance and inspection to start. [imImageg][/img]

Like always help is needed and welcome.
Again I will thank Railroad.net, we have been getting a new members and intrest every week. THANK YOU !!!

by Donko142

Thrusday 2-21-08 a clear but cold 33 degree day.

Some of the ROW workers dealing with a log on the rails, M.P. 38 heading south. Lots more work is needed but we did make it to Milford in time for a late lunch. Will be working in the shop tomorrow on tender trucks. To cold out, Thanks for your help, B-safe

[imImageg][/img]

by Otto Vondrak

Donko142 - You might want to consider posting notices of work parties in advance, to see if you get more potential volunteers to show up. Thanks for posting the photos! Sometimes I wish there was a way to "Americanize" that tender...

-otto-