• Official NYS&WTHS/Bel-Del News - 2008

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Notch 8

Slowly the anticipation is beginning to build on the Bel Del. In just a little over a month, we will begin to hear a steam whistle echoing along the Delaware River once again. I'm sure on Memorial Day weekend, there will be more than a few buffs out there snapping away with their cameras saying "Oh yeah!" and "Cool!" But they'll just be looking in from the outside.

There is still quite a bit of work to be done, and lots of time for anyone new to get involved.

Helping out on a volunteer railroad is a neat experience. You can show up as little or as much as you want, or as your schedule allows. I've found the latter to be true for me. I had initially gone up there looking to help out on the engine crew. Interestingly enough I have kept going on up there doing everything else but that. Simply helping out gives you a good feeling and a sense of involvement that is quite rewarding. No matter what you do, you can leave the place a little better than it was the day before. Particularly in the off season, you can really leave a good mark. It could be a a spot of brush that got cleared, a coach that you e - cleaned, or even something as mundane as taking off a pain in the butt air pump starting valve that has bad shoulders while hanging off the side of the 142 and you really can't get a wrench on it, but you eventually do remove the valve, then lap the valve seat and finally get the body back on just trying to get it tight without destroying the shoulders once again swearing at the thing to yourself the entire time, and probably for the rest of the summer.. GRRR!.....But I digress.

All these little accomplishments give you a sense of pride when the throngs of buffs are taking pictures of what you worked on. It is a piece of something very special and rewarding. All of the volunteers on the BD are first rate and will be glad to welcome and guide anyone new.

Remember the railroad is a lot more than a train going down a track.

by washingtonsecondary

Notch 8 wrote:......I'm sure on Memorial Day weekend, there will be more than a few buffs out there snapping away with their cameras saying "Oh yeah!" and "Cool!" But they'll just be looking in from the outside.
[Lewis Black voice]
I'd have something for this.. But I'm not that funny![/Lewis Black]

by Donko142

Hello all, thanks for the coments Notch 8, were all glad to have you around. Otto tried listing work party in advance didn't get to much intrest L.O.L. anything is worth a shot. Anyway the weather report for Saturday is sunny and 79, going to try to do some more ROW clean up down by Holland if I can get a good amout of help. A lot of the regulars are tied up this weekend. If there's not enough help, one day on the R.R. in the shop and one day on the Harley. The shop should be busy this weekend plus the next two weeks are the spring 24-7 work party, lots of vacation time burned up. There will be volunteers working in the shop 7 days a week 4-19-08 through 5-4-08.

Thanks be safe.

by Donko142

Saturday 4-19-08

The weather was beautiful so it was a good day to work. There were projects going on all over, the engine has to be back together in two weeks and the hydro test is coming up real soon. Pictures show the CMO Gary Mathews working on welding new studs on the cylinder castings for the sheet metal. While John Stocker is putting the last coat to primer on the firebox. Other's were at work on/in the tender, sanding any rust spots in side and putting on a new coat of tender sealer. Crews were also cleaning the coaches inside and out, while getting ready for some seat repair [img][img]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg20 ... 0_1190.jpg[/img][/img][img][img[img]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg20 ... 0_1186.jpg[/img]][/img]

by Donko142

[imImage

It's not just come work and work all day, we have volunteer break time also.

Be Safe train running soon, need help.

by Notch 8

Never got mooned by a dog before....

by Donko142

Wednesday 4-23-08

Good afternoon, trains will start running every weekend starting May 3rd, till the end of the year. Will are still looking for more crew member's to help with the weekly trains. Again we will train enyone that can be a safe person around the railroad, no experience is required. We would like volunteers to be able to help a minimum of 1 day a month. Stop down or contact me, we have a great crew and alot of fun.

Thanks for your time
Be safe.

by Donko142

5-12-08
It's been awhile and we've all been busy. The trains started running last weekend with the SW1200, the steamer is back together. The yearly FRA inspection is taking place this week and everything looks great. I've have been lucky enough to work on a good amount of steam engine and NEVER seen a boiler as tight as this one. All the R.O.W. work is starting to really show. And we hope increase the ride a little more this summer. Again new volunteers are always welcome.

by Donko142

Tuesday 5-13-08

FRA inspection went well today, steamer will be out in two weeks. Durring one boiler hydro test the bioler was brought up to 200 lbs, after 1hr and 45min there was still 186 lbs on boiler, that's a tight boiler. The ROW work is really starting to show. There is nothing green on the R.R. now that the costs of spraying is justified. Still looking for more volunteers, 3 of our volunteers that were promoted to Fireman in 06 are getting there student engineers licenses this month. 2 trainmen were tested on Saturday for there conductor promotions. Were gearing up for a busy season as the new mine will be opening soon. Be Safe

[imImageg][/img]

by Donko142

Just coming back from almost a month off, vacation is so nice. Like always looking for more volunteers, things are going well ( besides the heat today, 98 degrees was the report ), first time I ever wished I was running a GP insted of a steamer. There will be another track project starting soon and the new Mining Quary should be open by July. Like always we have 15 projects going on and are always looking for more help, fireman, trainman, brush cutter's, guys to hang out and go get water on days like today. One can see the heat in this picture. Be Safe

by Trackcar2365

Crossing upgrades. This is the crossing just north of Riegelsville under construction.
S_IMGP3831.JPG

Re:

by Otto Vondrak

Donko142 wrote:Otto, tried listing work party in advance didn't get to much intrest...
Keep trying. If you keep letting us know ahead of time, it might give us a chance to plan. Thanks for keeping us updated!

-otto-
  by Donko142

Things are moving right along, we hope to have some more Class II railroad with in the next few weeks, plus the mine operation should be starting real soon.. As always new volunteers are welcome, opportunity here is all over. This pic is of Greg Ruch, he started helping in the shop last fall, 3 to 4 days a month. Now he's student fireman. People have it or they don't have it!! Greg fired for me last weekend, 3rd time on the engine and he's got it like a duck takes to water. Greg did great right out of the hole. Here he is looking over his fire as the crew gets ready to start North out of Carpendersville NJ.

by Donko142

As always even when the train is running the shop always has someone around doing something ( it has to ) This Sunday I found a group working on the vestibules on a coach, while I was getting the spray rig ready. Like always lots to do in many different categories. We hope the new crossings are finished this week or next and some new wood will start going in from MP 45 going south to increase our trip again. Al got the track mower working great, now it cuts 20+ inches outside the gauge also. Again lot of people doing lots of different things to help us keep moving forward. Image