• Official NYS&WTHS/Bel-Del News - 2008

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Donko142

The foundation for the new mine is in place and we hope to have it up and running with in a week or two at the most. The trip will be offering a lot of stops this summer and fall, wine train, corn maze, water mine plus the pumkin patch, 142 will have to start rolling a bit faster to keep the 1and 1/2 hour trips on time. One of our NJT employees got some seat time this weekend, first time in the steam seat. Job well done, it's no GP 40. Pic of 142 departing Carpindersville NJ, Northbound. The crossing 100 yards south of here ( our currect stop) was rebuilt last weekend, the contractor and crew are busy installing new ties from this crossing south. Ride should be extened by mid July. Going in the right direction and improving the operation year after year with a great bunch of people
Be safe, it's the only way !!
Last edited by Donko142 on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by blockline4180

Donko142 wrote:The foundation for the new mine is in place and we hope to have it up and running with in a week or two at the most.

You keep talking about this "new mine" operations. Where is it and who exactly will serve it??
  by Donko142

Blockline, it's not a mine like a new customer. It's a "Sliuce Mine" ( think that is currect spelling ) like panning for gold. The company will have a crew constructing the mine over the next week. At this point in time our cammodity is not coal, gas, cemical or food, it's people. Our trains are jammed full all fall with the corn maze and patch. Summer needs some more riders but they need something to do. When getting off at the mine they will get a bag of dirt and head for the water troth to start to pan for jems and diamonds. This will give another choice besides wine train or train ride. Once we get another mile we can start getting the ball rolling with some type of canoe trip we hope ( like the Adirondack Scenic). Again just trying to draw as many rider as we can, should be a lot of fun for the family or the girlfriend.
  by blockline4180

Donko142 wrote:Blockline, it's not a mine like a new customer. It's a "Sliuce Mine" ( think that is currect spelling ) like panning for gold. Again just trying to draw as many rider as we can, should be a lot of fun for the family or the girlfriend.
Okay, I understand!! Good luck with your operation!! You guys seem to be doing great marketing work and hopefully train/canoe trips will grab a lot more riders as well...You have my support for continuing the oeprations!
  by Donko142

7-1-08 I stopped on the railroad today to see the progress that's going on. I found the track contractor and crew installing ties just past MP45. They had about 175 installed ( replacing every third tie ), both River Rd. crossings in Reigelsville and Carpendersville have been rebuilt. That's 8 out of the 9 Public crossings rebuilt. I was able to flag Old River Rd. for the track cutting crew while my brother shot a small video. This mower is crazy looking and has a mind of it's own, but when running good it works GRERAT! Notice ditch lights on speeder. Al and Pete two more guys helping in a big way. Will try to down load video.Imageg]
  by Donko142

Trying to load video, click on it.
  by 142locoman

It sure was great to see that someone took the time and is taking time to post pictures of and write about our group. I'm also still shocked at times as to how well you are treated within this group...meaning a human being and not just another volunteer or worker. Hats off to the N.Y.S. & W.T.&H.S. for making the past six months for me great and as I'm sure there will be many great years ahead. Special thanks to Gary Matthews, Nick Zisa, Jim Stevens, Dave Hustabout, Frank Capalbo, Chet Wilhum, Myron Biggar, Don Chaudruc, Chris Cotty, Martin DenBleyker(did i spell it right), Devin, and anyone else who is leading me in the right direction! Thanx Again!!!

Greg Ruch
NYS&WT&HS volunteer
Student Fireman / Trainman
  by 142locoman

Well, as for my experiences, I will be actually posting some of them at the near end of our running season. However, I believe we are in more need of help from people willing to do the work on a volunteer basis. Whether it's once a year or once a week, we could always use the help! Lots of different people from all different walks of life are in this organization, and please believe when I say it again, "You are treated like a human being, and are very much appreciated and given a sense of being welcome every time." So whether anyone wants to be a fireman, conductor, engineer, mechanic, or just be around trains, this is definately the way to go!!!
  by Donko142

7-17-08 Once again with lots of hard work and people that won't give up, we extended our ride again. The mine should be up and running by Aug 1st and the two pictures below show the railroad south of MP.45 ( our old stop ). The contractor came in and we received more class ll railroad. Plans are already forming to extened again next year. Like I said good people making steps foward year after year. In Pic one you see the 155 lbs rail feeling the weight of a ( light, 102 tons ) steam engine for the first time in 51 years, one can almost see our old stop around the conner looking north up the railroad. Pic two shows 142 passing the restored lime kilms. Work party this Saturday on the ROW again 9:30 start time. Bring lots of water. LOL Be Safe and come get involved.

[url] Image
[url]Image
  by pumpers

Super progress! How far did you extend the ride? - to what MP and about what road crossing, if nearby.
Thanks, JS
  by Donko142

We picked up about 4 tenths of a mile, we were set up to pick up over a half mile but some unforsene problems jumped up. We are about 400 ft from the large double bridge ( over River rd and the river ). Our short term ( phase 1) goal is to get to M.P 44.3, there is reasons that spot will help us alot. The contractor has been nice enough to work with us on price and we already have the qoute to get to this spot. All the bridge timbers have been done already and the harware along the ROW is all good, just need about 350 pieces of wood. The plans to raise this money are already in the works. Phase 2 once at 44.3 we only need to get 3 tenths of a mile to M.P 44, from 44 south to 43.3 the railroad was rebuilt after a derailment around 2001. When we make M.P 44 the mile between 44 & 43 only needs 300 to 400 ties to be solid class 2. Phase 3 Where only 1 mile from Reigelsville station, the railroad still owns the platform and there's talk in the works already with people out side the Railroad to built a replica on the original station. Like I said before, I feel it's more then fair to say were here year after year, it's improving every year, ride has more stops to offer every year, ride is longer every year. There's is alot of people giving 110% around here and it's starting to really show. If I didn't think the Railroad down to Milford was one of the most bueatiful R.O.W around here or we don't have a chance of getting there, beleive me I we wouldn't be doing what were doing. I like to think the time I spend taking state pesticide courses and clearing brush is not for my health. Al and Pete have made many trips down the railroad with the mower, Martin, Gary, Fred,Chuck, My dad and many other have lent a big hand in clean up. Have a good day on my way to the R.R.

Like always Be Safe !!!!
ALWAYS LOOKING FOR MORE HELP WITH LOT'S TO OFFER DOWN HERE FOR EVERYONE !!!!
  by Trackcar2365

Engine 8159, a flat car and the Jordon Spreader do maintenance work on the new track at the lime kilns.
Temperature was near 100 degrees.
  by Donko142

7-19-08 Saturday
In a second picture on can see the MOW track crew later Saturday afternoon. Take notice to the empty gondola in Trackcars pic, now look at the over flowing gondola at the end of the day. One can see the track maps are out on the ground, when brush cutting on the ROW u always need the property map. That way you can talk to the person that is possibly upset with you, after all you cut down a tree 9 feet off the tracks on THIER property! Now you can tell the person nicely that the railroad owns 80Ft off the center of gauge here as shown on the map, next you can ask why they never called the railroad to ask permission to have that garden, fence, pool or play set on the Railroad property?? People get real nice real quick. It's amazing the land the R.R owns on the Bel-Del as little as 20 feet off center and over 1100 feet in many area's.Image
  by Donko142

7-21-08 The Mine is almost done, it's much bigger and cooler then I thought it would be. Operations should start Aug 2nd. Again this is another good point that we have something to offer for everyone. Some people just like being around the R.R. but not being on the train. The people running the ticket both, ( in the A/C, I think there cheating ) cron maze, pumkin patch, wine train and now The Mine are just as important as the conductor or engine crew, it's a team effort ! We have had a lot of new people this year, plus I try to have a student engineer or fireman on the engine every day. Same as student conductor and trainman. This gives lots of oppertunity for everyone. Get involved with a great bunch people and a R.R going the right direction year after year !! Be safe Image