• Multi-Level Cars—Delivery/Status

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by pgengler

steemtrayn wrote:
jnewman wrote:It was spot on time in Elizabeth. Here's some big, slightly mushy pictures.
Heading into the station.
A trailer.
Going away.
Nice pics, j, 'specially the first one; i can see myself in the parking garage.
I can see myself on top of the garage, too; guess Elizabeth was the place to be (if you couldn't be on the train, of course)!

by Jtgshu

lensovet wrote:
benltrain wrote:Sorta Weird how the back Comet III dor was open
any reason why the ALP-44 wasn't drawing juice? talk about a waste of diesel...
I would assume in case there was any type of catenary problems - no power, or god forbid the 4627 ripped down wire - what good is a rescue train if its dead in the water too? Run from the diesel, that way no valuable time is wasted if somewhere were to go wrong -

by transit383

I caught it at Metuchen. Of course it was bright and sunny all morning and it just happened to cloud up as the train came through and then the sun came right back up as soon as it left. I still got some pretty decent pics of the maiden voyage from the westbound platform.

NJT 4627 leading the maiden voyage

Right out of the box, brand new 7002 on the rear of the train set

I also stuck around to catch 3841, which was lead by 6082 and being pushed by 4418. As 4418 was pushing it west, I was lucky enough to grab this shot of Conrail caboose 22137 passing it while moving east.

NJT 4418 passing CR 22137

As far as numbers on the front of the cab go, Metro North's Comet V Cabs don't have them (so make sure you remember the numbers of the ones you photograph so you know how to label your photos when you get home). Also, I noticed that the new Multilevels only have one number on the front end of the car between the two doors. Why not just put one above the NJ Transit logo like on the Comet Vs?

by lensovet

pgengler wrote:I just got my pictures done from today, also from Elizabeth, but I was on top of the parking garage.
crazy good photos. what's your equipment? the detail on those is ridiculous.

also, can someone explain the lights on these cars? they are an amber color as the train pulls into the station and then turn green when it departs? what?

by pgengler

lensovet wrote:crazy good photos. what's your equipment? the detail on those is ridiculous.
Thanks. My camera is a Canon Digital Rebel, and I was shooting with two lens; for the shots as it was pulling in, I was using the Canon 35-135 f/4-5.6, and after they made the station stop, I switched the 100-300 f/4.5-5.6, which is the lens I used for all of the other shots.

by Njt4300

Now we should be getting pics from the return trip if people stuck around to see it run from the cab.

by transit383

Do we have any idea what trip it is going to run on tomorrow? Will it stick to the 3844 schedule?

by Bay Head Local

Nice Pics everyone, thanks for sharing....can't wait till these cars make there way over here for us Midtown Direct Commuters on the M&E

So i guess its now official that every commuter railroad in the country uses some type of bi-level or multi-level equipment except for SEPTA,South Bend and Metro-North.

by redarrow5591

Doing Homer Simpson drool now!!!

They look wicked running solid set like that!!!

by redarrow5591

Bay Head Local wrote:Nice Pics everyone, thanks for sharing....can't wait till these cars make there way over here for us Midtown Direct Commuters on the M&E

So i guess its now official that every commuter railroad in the country uses some type of bi-level or multi-level equipment except for SEPTA,South Bend and Metro-North.
Please don't give those hotheads at 1234 Market any more ideas!!!

They're screwing up my commute from work already, and I don't get off til 4 am already.
Last edited by redarrow5591 on Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Terrapin Station

transit383 wrote:Do we have any idea what trip it is going to run on tomorrow? Will it stick to the 3844 schedule?
Posted on another forum.

by lensovet

ryanov wrote:They DO exist!

http://pics.livejournal.com/ryanov/gallery/00008ays

Large numbers of foamers there, and some of the press (NJN, etc.) I was wandering around the platform eating a slice of pizza and then got out of there. Heard a bunch of "Wow!"s from the crowd.

Very good acceleration with 6 cars, seemed like. Orange LCD signs rather than yellow, but they are NOT LED.
ryanov, that's coming up with a 403 Forbidden error...

by jnewman

As an aside, it's interesting to note that I was using a brand new Canon Powershot camera with an 8MP sensor, which is more than pgengler's camera, yet his shots are sharper than my raws. Shows that MP's ain't everything! That much larger sensor on the digital Rebel makes a difference.

by Irish Chieftain

Please don't give those hotheads at 1234 Market any more ideas
If SEPTA were as ready as they have demonstrated to unload their single-level push-pulls, they will not be looking at bi-level push-pulls any time soon.

by Terrapin Station

jnewman wrote:As an aside, it's interesting to note that I was using a brand new Canon Powershot camera with an 8MP sensor, which is more than pgengler's camera, yet his shots are sharper than my raws. Shows that MP's ain't everything! That much larger sensor on the digital Rebel makes a difference.
There are others here with a lot more DSLR/SLR experience than me, but I'll try to help you out.

First, yes, SLR lenses can be sharper than the lenses built into point and shoots and the larger sensor does make a difference. But if you shrink your photos down a bit to the same size as his, or even compared yours to his his full-size pics, you will begin to see a bit more similarity.

Second, from your EXIF info I can't tell what mode you used to shoot or what ISO value the camera/you used, but is it possible either you or the camera chose a slightly higher ISO value?

Third, his choice of aperture and shutter might have made a difference.

Fourth, he may have done more post-processing in photoshop than you.

But like I said, shrinking down your photos a bit makes them look pretty good!
Last edited by Terrapin Station on Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.