Railroad Forums 

• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1599647  by R&DB

Good luck Chris. I totally understand the decision to move somewhere less expensive.
 #1599664  by pdtrains

GSC wrote:I understand the cars in Red Bank will return to Brown's. In the meantime, who pays the per diem on the cars, and who pays for the undelivered loads? Are they "on hold" due to non-delivery? Did Woodhaven pay for the loads already, or does it depens upon delivery? FOB (Free On Board) for the shipper, to be paid by the consignee? COD?

All that lumber is worth something. Just wondering who is responsible while it sits.

In my trucking days, I was a day late with a delivery and the receiver refused the load. My broker also refused responsibility and I owned the load, whether I wanted it or not. Luckily, it was a load of Texas strawberries and I managed to sell the entire load, and made a small profit to boot. Otherwise, I bought the load, whether I could sell it or not. I'm just wondering if this is the case with Woodhaven's lumber.
FWIW..Id assume u were an independent operator, and u were hauling perishables. Not exactly the same as a large corporation hauling lumber.
If the cars were loaded when the cars derailed, they most likely would have re-railed them and spotted them at woodhaven for unloading..,,or unloaded them on the spot and delivered the lumber to woodhaven. If the loads were a loss (damaged beyond being usable), either the shipper or the consignee files a claim with the RR, and the railroad would typically collect from their insurance. If a claim is filed, whoever ends up paying for the load (the RR or the insurance co) sells what is salvageable to a salvage company.

As for per diem on cars that are sitting for a month....its really just pocket change. Most cars on the RR these days...are privately owned, which means they move on a mileage basis, not on a per diem basis.
So lets say there were 5 cars that were actually RR owned. Back in the olden days when i worked on the RR, per diem was about 5 bucks a day. So lets just say its 25 bucks a day now (IDK, really, and the goog was no help). so 5 cars is $125. a day for 30 days is $3750. I dont think thats going to break the bank at any railroad....
 #1599839  by FrontFrank

GSC I remember my first and only refused load and that moment of rejection has stuck in my head ever since. The guy I was driving for sold the load and recovered any losses. Still felt like being sucker punched tho.
Railseast congratulations on the move down south. My family and I had to relocate to Southern Pennsylvania when my job was transferred to Aberdeen Maryland. Then it was off to Texas and then retirement in Northen California. Coming back to New Jersey for family reasons has brought back a lot of memories but in the end. I enjoy no longer being a New Jersey resident. Cheers.
Last edited by FrontFrank on Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1599845  by Bracdude181

Sounds like that thing I heard about NS wanting to keep Lakewood to Lakehurst open incase the military wanted something was true after all!

Conrail is jointly owned by Norfolk Southern and CSX, but NS is the majority shareholder.
 #1599849  by CR7876

58% NS / 42% CSXT, was how Big Conrail was split in 1999.

However, both roads have an equal number of seats on the Conrail Board of Directors, and thus EQUAL say on the direction of the Railroad.
 #1599850  by FrontFrank

Maybe they have that idea but my friend told me that the Air Force and Navy want nothing to do with trains. My friend also told me that after that guy left Lakehurst, the project was revisited and within a matter of days was knocked down due to inefficiency and vulnerability.
 #1599852  by GSC

There's an established route between Earle and Lakehurst. Having it available in case something happens should be a priority, but that's my thinking, especially with what's going on now.

Back to reality, anything running down the Southern today? Might be one of the last chances to see CSX power.