• Genesis discussion (AMD-103, P40DC, P42DC)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by DutchRailnut

don't forget a 92 day inspection is a life time extension , so is an oil change . depending on work scheduled and goal on how long to extend life , a life time extension is what seems to be subject to translation.
  by superstar

Backshophoss wrote: Does anyone if GE sent a GEVO repower kit to Beech Grove yet??
I thought that was a photoshopped press release that went around last year. Is it actually something that's happening?
  by Backshophoss

This was in the GE catalog when the HSP-46's were built at Boise,this was discussed at lenght in the HSP-46 thread in the MBTA forum.
  by frequentflyer

gokeefe wrote:This sounds to me like a basic survival tactic until Amtrak has a good idea of the reliability of the Chargers.

Think about it this way ... They have a once in a generation opportunity to reduce their diesel power fleet from four types (P40, P42, P32, F59) to one common platform. Obviously the P40, P42 and P32 have a common platform but as noted in this discussion even between the P40s and P42s there are some pretty significant differences.

As usual the savings are simply to large to ignore. I suspect we will see Amtrak contract with Siemens for new power in about four years if not sooner. I would expect the remaining power to be sold off as surplus, some might go to commuter operators but a lot probably won't.

It's also worth remembering that a significant portion of what Amtrak purchases won't just be for long distance service. Many state supported services use power from Amtrak's own pools. The Downeaster is one example, along with the Missouri River Runner, Heartland Flyer, Pennsylvanian, Ethan Allen Express, Adirondack (north of ALB), Maple Leaf (west of ALB), Vermonter (north of NHV), Hoosier State, and the Virginia Northeast Regionals.

The one (and only) example of continued reuse anywhere on Amtrak of any of the above types is probably the F59s on the Piedmont by NCDOT. Even that option would still mean that Amtrak would be transferring ownership and (I think) would no longer be responsible for provision of mechanical support.
Though the Genesis have held up well considering the running and less than optimal regular maintenance they are starting to show their limitations just as the F40s did at the end of their service life. Hope they can hold on till Amtrak places that replacement order. And having a universal locomotive that can warn mx of a potential problem before it happens will hopefully significantly reduce on the road break downs.
  by CNJGeep

diburning wrote:Going back to the original topic, how fast are the boards failing, and what do the commuter agencies that own gennies (ConnDOT, Metro-North, NJT, for example) do when one of their boards fail?
NJT hasn't had any in about three years. They've been sitting in New Haven.
  by Fan Railer

strench707 wrote:The GE whoop is actually the radiator fan kicking on. A frequent (but understandable) misconception is that its the air compressor kicking on. An auxiliary computer monitors temperature and when there's a predicted increase in temperature, it signals the radiator fan to spool up. The air compressor is a relatively demanding activity and hence will many times be preceded by the radiator fan "whooping" on.
Thank you for clarifying this :-D
  by Jeff Smith

c604. wrote:Sorry to post in an old thread, just a quick question: ...
No worries! We're unusual in that we actually appreciate necro-posting here; I for one appreciate the history of a subject/thread.
  by es80ac

Since Amtrak has officially placed new order to buy 75 Siemens Chargers for long distance passenger operations, what will happen to the P40/P42 Genesis locomotives? The previous F40s were converted to bag coaches, I doubt the Genesis engines will go through the same route. I personally will miss the p40/p42 who has been a stable in Amtrak for so long, and their throbbing FDL engines just convey power, can't say the same about the chargers, which really have only about the same power as the P42.
  by Backshophoss

It will be a couple of years before the Chargers rule the roost, for now, only a major prime mover or alternator failure, or wreck
will kill off a P-40/42.
Amtrak will hold some in "LUGO" status(Laid up, good order)after most of the charger fleet is online,
sell offs to commuter operators or Scrappers/Loco leaser outfits will be possible.
Not sure if any are donated to museums(Stuffed and mounted) or tourist operators.
  by njtmnrrbuff

Select P40s will be covering Ctrail and even SLE trains(if the state can’t get their act together with working on getting those M8s into revenue service east of New Haven.
  by Matt Johnson

Excess power for a glidepath to self-sufficiency!
  by eolesen

There will be a second-hand market for these with commuter agencies...

I could see Metra bidding for 25+ if they came available to replace 40 year old F40PH-2's and 3's).