• Genesis discussion (AMD-103, P40DC, P42DC)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by photobug56

ApproachMedium wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:56 am
CSRR573 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:36 am
ApproachMedium wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:11 pm Nobodys going to make a P42 with the lightweight carbody it has, into a DPU. The P42s are useless. The only thing they are good for is spare parts to keep smaller railroads Dash 8 and 9 locomotives functioning.
Especially seeing as all the bodies are severely rotted out. Look down along the side of any P42 and you'll see the body sag badly in the middle.
What sorts of issues are there with the Chargers?

Ive never seen one body sag. I see the body rot, but thats not in structural areas. They cut that out and replace it, the same way they did with F units for ages.

I am NOT glad they are being replaced with chargers. Neither are any of the other amtrak engineers who have to run this stuff. the chargers are complete piles of junk. Theres a whole facebook page dedicated to it. Ive also expressed my displeasure with the ACS-64s and thats certainly becoming more and more of a problem as the cheap components fail and they mess with the software more and more.
  by R36 Combine Coach

It seems just about everything stainless that is monocoque or with a load carrying external shell seems to have
the sagging issues.

Note the postwar Budds (especially coach to baggage conversions) and the Silverliner III/Arrow I.
  by ApproachMedium

CSRR573 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:09 pm I dont know where your from, but all the ones that come through Boston sag in the middle, some worse then others. And I agree about the Siemens junk, I hate working on those things
New york and they come to sunnyside frequently lately with the p32 shortage. ive also had them on 66 often last year.
  by photobug56

So what happens contract wise when the Simens locos start having major problems?
  by CSRR573

I wish i could get a better picture but Im no Longer in the yard. Most P42's sag where i circled. Some more pronounced then others.

Photobug56, who knows, the siemens techs we have on site don't even know how their locos work!
  by bostontrainguy

The bottom looks perfectly straight along the platform. Is it the whole body or just a weak structure at that point that is stressing for some reason?
  by ApproachMedium

The bottoms are straight where it matters most likely its the panels on the side caving in some. its nothing thats affecting their operation. I am sure if the main lower section was sagging we would have taken them all out a long time ago.
  by nomis

Mod Note: I stripped out the deep Siemens chatter from the past few days and made a Growing Pains thread, as the conversation was all encompassing everything except Genesis units :wink:

No collateral damage was planned & I may tweak when I get back to a computer.