• FL9 F-10 Discussion: Metro-North / CtDOT / Amtrak

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by BM6569

What condition are these engines actually in? I believe it was reported here that they were heavily rusted and vandalized, missing key parts. Poor cosmetic if condition. Basically only usable for parts. However, their exteriors looked pretty good to me in the pics in Railpace from the shop tours.
  by DutchRailnut

They were returned to CDOT fully serviced , new oil filters etc only water was drained. yes souvenir hunters took things like number boards but otherwise the units are in serviceable condition.
  by BM6569

DutchRailnut wrote:The 6 CDOT's are still in New Haven up for sale in deplorable condition.
Thanks for the info. I think I had remembered this you posted about them a few years ago. So they aren't in that bad of condition as previously mentioned.
  by Jeff Smith

Their condition is dependent upon the way the wind is blowing, i.e. how crabby Dutch is feeling that day LOL (teasing). I'm not sure where they were listed (Ozark? Not sure) but as far as I know they did not get a sniff. You can't blame CtDOT for trying to get a few bucks.
  by DutchRailnut

all I am saying is all parts were present and working when parked, and locomotives are parked in secure location, a bunch of souvenirs were taken by ...........
as for MN use, MTA is not going to put ACSES on them and claimed they can no longer maintain them due to EPA rules, yet then the GP35r returned with same 567 block with 645 parts same as in FL-9m
so guess who is confused ???
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

You guys do realize that "Boston Surface Railroad" exists only as a P.O. Box in an Arlington, MA law office. This grifter would say he's *this* close to acquiring a mint-condition Turboliner set if it got some newbie intern at the Worcester Telegram to give him more free newsprint to sell his snake oil choo-choo. This isn't even a Housatonic-level credible passenger proposal.
  by Noel Weaver

I am a little bit surprised that this has not appeared on here before now but here goes. The six CDOT owned FL-9's that have been stored for a long time in New Haven have been leased to the State of New York and at present are being prepared to be towed to Rensselaer shop to be restored to service. It is expect that they will be used as lead units on Amtrak trains starting sometime this spring between Albany and Grand Central Terminal. As I understand it the work will be done in Rensselaer and they will be fully powered and used on all of the passenger trains between Albany and Grand Central Termnal. The only exception to this is 48 and 49 which will not run between Albany and New York but will operate through to Boston where they can service the eqluipment. I don't think Metro-North is able to service 48 and 49 at either Grand Central or at High Bridge thus Boston. This probably makes sense too. Why the FL-9's because they have that all important nose door. I believe they have been stored in good order, they were fully serviceable when laid up back when so he goes. It somewhat surprises me that they plan to do the restoration at Rensselaer rather than Beech Grove but it might be faster and I guess the shop at Rensselaer is apparently capable of doing good heavy work if it is necessary. This is a most interesting development. It is expect that they will be leaving New Haven quite soon as the air brakes on all six of them have been updated for tow. Understand they will move via Springfield and the B & A. Any errors, please don't shoot the messenger. I guess you folks will have a good reason to watch Amtrak this summer if this actually happens and I think it will.
Noel Weaver
  by Noel Weaver

I am a little bit surprised that this has not appeared on here before now but here goes. The six CDOT owned FL-9's that have been stored for a long time in New Haven have been leased to the State of New York and at present are being prepared to be towed to Rensselaer shop to be restored to service. It is expect that they will be used as lead units on Amtrak trains starting sometime this spring between Albany and Grand Central Terminal. As I understand it the work will be done in Rensselaer and they will be fully powered and used on all of the passenger trains between Albany and Grand Central Termnal. The only exception to this is 48 and 49 which will not run between Albany and New York but will operate through to Boston where they can service the eqluipment. I don't think Metro-North is able to service 48 and 49 at either Grand Central or at High Bridge thus Boston. This probably makes sense too. Why the FL-9's because they have that all important nose door. I believe they have been stored in good order, they were fully serviceable when laid up back when so he goes. It somewhat surprises me that they plan to do the restoration at Rensselaer rather than Beech Grove but it might be faster and I guess the shop at Rensselaer is apparently capable of doing good heavy work if it is necessary. This is a most interesting development. It is expect that they will be leaving New Haven quite soon as the air brakes on all six of them have been updated for tow. Understand they will move via Springfield and the B & A. Any errors, please don't shoot the messenger. I guess you folks will have a good reason to watch Amtrak this summer if this actually happens and I think it will.
Noel Weaver
  by njtmnrrbuff

Is this really going to happen?
  by dumpster.penguin

Wow! According to the internet, they were built most likely in the 'fifties?

If the FL-9's are not equipped for PTC, then they will be just like the proverbial slippers turning to a pumpkin at midnight. And there might not be a frog to kiss this time around. Therefore, presumably the shop has been directed to fix them up on the cheap.

With all that in mind, will being dragged along the track behind an FL-9 feel much different to passengers... slower or faster acceleration, more or less hotel power...?
  by Noel Weaver

This is a good valid question that I have been asking all along but at this point I think it is a go go. The Amtrak dual modes have no door in the nose and the engineer could be trapped in the cab in the event that something terrible happens. There isn't too much else around that can lead into GCT and has a nose door. These won't be the first old diesels to return to service and they were supposedly stored in good order. One more thing I was told the New Haven paint will remain, it is still in beautiful condition.
I guess we will have to stay tuned, I will advise if and when I hear more.
Noel Weaver
  by Backshophoss

So the "Chrome Crankshaft 4" with 2 other units will have one more run for Glory this coming summer,it's going to get crowded trackside! :-)
  by RearOfSignal

I was surprised when I heard this, but yeah it’s true, the FL-9s live on!
  by Tadman

Is this April Fools a bit early? Or is this in response to another summer of NYP trackwork?