• FL9 F-10 Discussion: Metro-North / CtDOT / Amtrak

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

ok great but that trivial news belongs in Museum topic , it has absolutly nothing to do with MNCR or CDOT
  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

DutchRailnut wrote:ok great but that trivial news belongs in Museum topic , it has absolutly nothing to do with MNCR or CDOT

Ok. My apologies. The title of this thread is Status of the F10 and FL9 Fleet. It does not mention MNCR or CDOT in the title. I assumed that this thread referred to all FL9s regardless of current ownership. I guess I'll keep my "trivial" news of the only former NH and CDOT FL9 in operation to myself.
  by DutchRailnut

The tread is in the MNCR/CDOT forum ? ?? you don't group all hamburgers under Mc Donald !! right ..???
  by 3rd Gen. Brakeman

DutchRailnut wrote:The tread is in the MNCR/CDOT forum ? ?? you don't group all hamburgers under Mc Donald !! right ..???
Again, I'll apologize. I found this thread by utilizing the search feature and searching for FL9s. I won't make the same mistake twice. I will not post any more information regarding former MNCR and CDOT units in this thread. Forgive me, railfan gods! On another note...... Nothing against Otto, but no one jumped down his throat about posting news on an AMTRAK FL9, which could also be viewd as off topic and "trivial" according to your recent comments. At least 2019 served CDOT. Seriously though, it was an honest mistake and I didn't appreciate your response.
  by Jeff Smith

It's fine if you post here. I don't have a problem with it. Between Amtrak and the New Haven/PC, and excepting the F10's, these were all primarily in MNRR territory.
  by DutchRailnut

maybe we can combine the LIRR MNCR CDOT NYNH &H RR and museum all in one they do all have something in common.
Just sayin...

Ps I forgot the Housatonic and Amtrak, no wait the PRR and NJT and septa use catenary so they got something in common.
  by Jeff Smith

That may be a good idea, Dutch. Any suggestions for a forum home? Clearly, although some are still on CDOT roster, they're no longer MNRR.
  by Clean Cab

Why is this thread still open? Last time I looked all FL-9's are no longer in service and the F-10's are looooooooooong gone!!
  by DutchRailnut

The 6 CDOT's are still in New Haven up for sale in deplorable condition.
In Harmon the 2008 -2012 and 413 are stored listed as owned by transit museum (don't know which museum)
Unless some museum gets one mainline certified, and cabsignal /ATC (and soon PTC) functional, their days are totally over on MNCR/CDOT.
as for discussing the disposed units, we got a M&E forum, and a Museum forum.
  by Jeff Smith

First I've heard of transit museum ownership. I can only think of one that goes by that name, and it's in Brooklyn in a subway station.

PM me or Kevin if there are further developments.
  by Stephen Novell

Noel Weaver wrote:
milkyoreo27 wrote:I've gathered all the information of the units brought to New Haven, in case anybody would like to know.

Owner: CDOT
Type: FL9m
Paint: NH
Number: 2026

Rebuilt in 1993. Front truck damaged by electrical fire. Built as NH 2007, later PC 5007, CR 5007.

To backtrack on this particular locomotive, NHRR 2007 had a major fire in the 60's and was sent to I believe EMD for a
major rebuilding. It came back like a new locomotive and for some time it was the best one of the bunch. It ran very
good on both diesel and electric and when it got rebuilt the Imersion heater, MG set and everything connected thereto
worked well and as intended.
I had it on one of its very first trips after its return and at that time it looked, smelled and acted like a brand new
locomotive.
Noel Weaver
Noel,

Was this the Jan 25th 1963 engine fire which claimed by grandfathers life Mickey Novel? Was on his regular run from Penn station to New Haven when engine trouble developed in the Bronx, near the Parkchester housing development. He stopped the train, disconnecting the power, when he stepped from the train he collapsed and died. From what appeared to be a heart attack. The NH engineers knew better, the following Monday, funeral the NH engineers and others pulled my father aside. What transpired was postponement of the funeral, autopsy, and lawsuit against the NH.
  by blockline4180

So all 6 of the NH FL-9M's are still sitting in New Haven since 2009?? Why is CDOT keeping them there so long?? Are they looking for buyers or just waiting to be sent to scrap???
  by Tommy Meehan

Message moved to the New Haven Forum by poster. ;)
Last edited by Tommy Meehan on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Terminal Proceed

Use private messaging for the answers to these question. It is off topic.
  by Clean Cab

blockline4180 wrote:So all 6 of the NH FL-9M's are still sitting in New Haven since 2009?? Why is CDOT keeping them there so long?? Are they looking for buyers or just waiting to be sent to scrap???

CDOT has listed their 6 FL-9M's for sale, but have had no takers. CDOT cannot donate them as the FTA loans used to rebuild them in the early 1990's has not yet been paid off.