• FL9 F-10 Discussion: Metro-North / CtDOT / Amtrak

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by SimplySam

Is it possible they would be just used as "cabbages", and thus third rail shoes, engines etc not needed?
  by DutchRailnut

there happens to be stuff in that nose, like cab signal stuff

a cabbage still won't fix truck problem and passenger evacuation, the nose door is just for engineer.
so even as cab unit it still has max of 75 mph as restricted since 2003
  by DutchRailnut

They ran as powered locomotives, but were shut down by technician at 125th street.
again an engine on each end will not allow emergency responders or crew to evacuate passengers in case of derailment or fire.
there simply is no longer side clearance on two outside tracks .

Make Time For Safety. It Is Better To Be 5 Minutes Late In This Life Than Many Years Early In The next.
  by johnpbarlow

DutchRailnut wrote:there happens to be stuff in that nose, like cab signal stuff
OK, but don't the MN Genesis locomotives have nose doors? Couldn't nose stuff be re-arranged?
  by DutchRailnut

how much work do you intend to do in 3 months ?? and question was about P42, a totally different beast.
  by johnpbarlow

DutchRailnut wrote:how much work do you intend to do in 3 months ?? and question was about P42, a totally different beast.
OK, so doing plastic surgery on P42 nose is not easier than reviving a dead FL9...
  by Railjunkie

Having been in the nose of both a dual mode and a 42 the very first thing you run into is the ACESS and cab signal computers. They were not designed for the emergency egress door like MNRR. This is almost as wide as the nose itself and almost as tall. Not to count the electronics for the engine number board. Moving and retesting the computer systems could take a month each.

Ive been told the FL9s will not have there third rail gear re installed, I hope they supply a little tractive effort or its gonna make for a rough ride for those 142 miles.There will be a dual mode in the train set to get us in and out of GCT. The 716 is currently set up for MNRR third rail and has the blessing of the boys in Harmon to run as such.
  by DutchRailnut

New Haven yard Wednesday Febr 14 , 2018.
27973381_1817090934968068_789083510234237878_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by STrRedWolf

I had to take a look at the FL-9's... and a google search reminded me of MARC 7100, a F7-A.

No knock against the Chargers but I wish we still had that style on the line here in Maryland. If they're rebuilding the FL-9's, then I'll have to take a trip back up to Albany for a while.
  by Tom coughlin

It will be an interesting summer on the Water Level Route.

Tom Coughlin
Stow, MA
  by sullysullinburg

Maybe I’m reading what you wrote wrong, but will the FL-9s be running from Boston to Albany on 448/449?
  by DutchRailnut

your reading it wrong
  by NaugyRR

I'm waiting for Ashton Kutcher and a hidden camera crew to pop out on this one

Hey Jeff, maybe your Beacon Line theory isn't too far off if this is a thing, lol :-D
  by TCurtin

Well, what a surprise................

Sorry to ask what is likely to be a stupid question but why are they going to be running again between Renssalaer and GCT? What will be going on and where and when? I imagine this question is already answered somewhere on this forum, hence I suspect it is a stupid question.

Since our home for the last year and a half is near the Hudson main (not far north of Harmon) I will enjoy the photo ops as I did last summer when Amtrak ran a combined
Adirondack--- Maple Leaf northbound every morning with two units and 11 cars
  by TCurtin

Noel, it sounds like New york passengers on 48-49 will have to change to/from something else at Renssalaer, yes?