• FL9 F-10 Discussion: Metro-North / CtDOT / Amtrak

• This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.
This forum will be for issues that don't belong specifically to one NYC area transit agency, but several. For instance, intra-MTA proposals or MTA-wide issues, which may involve both Metro-North Railroad (MNRR) and the Long Island Railroad (LIRR). Other intra-agency examples: through running such as the now discontinued MNRR-NJT Meadowlands special. Topics which only concern one operating agency should remain in their respective forums.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by GirlOnTheTrain

TCurtin wrote:Sorry to ask what is likely to be a stupid question but why are they going to be running again between Renssalaer and GCT? What will be going on and where and when? I imagine this question is already answered somewhere on this forum, hence I suspect it is a stupid question.
I believe it's due to work on the swing bridge at Spuyten Duyvil...I think it's somewhere on the Amtrak board ;)
  by John_Perkowski

Noel, Dutch...

Do you think the shopping will include re-electrification?

UP re-engined and re equipped the electronics on its E-9s, would CDOT do the same?
  by amtrakhogger

GirlOnTheTrain wrote:
TCurtin wrote:Sorry to ask what is likely to be a stupid question but why are they going to be running again between Renssalaer and GCT? What will be going on and where and when? I imagine this question is already answered somewhere on this forum, hence I suspect it is a stupid question.
I believe it's due to work on the swing bridge at Spuyten Duyvil...I think it's somewhere on the Amtrak board ;)
Part of the project is the addition of new switch off #2 Main (connecting "I" ladder) in PSNY to allow high side access for Albany trains. Currently they are restricted to tracks 5-9.
  by DutchRailnut

CDOT wants nothing to do with the FL-9's but sell them.

the diverting of Amtrak is to replace or rebuild the spuyten duyvil bridge and to do work at over build of empire connection near 60 street?
  by Tom coughlin

Sullysulinberg - Noel was referring to another change; that the NYP consist of 48/49 will go to Boston so it can be serviced there. That’s for another thread. To get this back on topic, the FL-9’s wouldn’t be a good choice on the B&A, although a lone FL-9 did work through on 448 once in the early ‘80’s. It was headed to New Haven for work via Boston. This was when Amtrak still did heavier repairs there. I’m not sure if the unit was leading, trailing or dead-in-tow while on the B&A.

Tom Coughlin
Stow, MA.
  by ThirdRail7

While this is not an April's Fools Joke(tentative plans call for this operation to commence after Memorial Day...but maybe July4th...if it still occurs), there is still a lot to work out. Plans have constantly evolved. The Lake Shore was supposed to come to NY. Then, it was going to turn in BOS. Wait, let's turn it and store it in ALB. Wait, now we're going to send it to BOS.

The Adirondack is going to combine with the Maple Leaf and got via NRO. Wait, they are going to combine and travel to GCT. Wait, they'll terminate at ALB and a shuttle will operate their place.

Let's use the FL9's. Wait, let's use them only between CRT-GCT. Wait, let's use them the whole distance. Wait. Metro-North said we can use the inside tracks, as long as we reschedule the peak trains.

Well, now we have MARC cab cars, so we can push pull and we don't..................

The bottom line is all of this is still being worked on. The details haven't been released and a full operating plan is still being drawn up. We could WAIT to see what (if anything) is going to happen.

But, why bother to wait for facts?
  by Noel Weaver

My sources do not know whether they will try to make these engines run on third rail electric but I rather doubt it. Still a lot of "I don't knows" here. As for Dutch's complaints about the ride quality with the trucks, I agree to a point BUT there are ways to control that. A pair of FL-9's on a mini Bomb train made absolutely no sense at all except for the slight possibility that one of the engines might crap out. These things were old and well worn but they were dependable to a fault and rarely got towed. With a mini Bomb had I been the engineer I would have isolated the rear unit and make the head unit pull the two or three cars plus the isolated rear unit. The FL-9's rode much better when they were working hard and there were tricks that I and others used to accomplish that. Dutch, I doubt if you ever rode the FL-9's to Pittsfield, Bay Ridge, Waterbury and Torrington or some of the other branch lines in passenger or freight service. The New Haven often used a few FL-9s' on freight trains on Saturdays and Sundays if things were busy freight wise and not too busy passenger wise. . Between BerkshireI Junction and Pittsfield an FL-9 ride was a real adventure. I had them on HB-8 and BH-7, usually a jet one way and FL-9's the other way and you did not dare go over 10 MPH between Oak Point and Harlem River or else. In short FL-9's on electric sometimes but on diesel very dependable. We ran them at 79 to Boston and again we knew how to avoid at least some of the riding problems on them. Having said that we all breathed a sigh of relief when Penn Central brought us the E-8's.
When I started the FL-9 thread last evening I deliberately put it on both Amtrak and Metro-North because I really wasn't sure just where the leaders would want this to appear so I expected they would close one and keep one.
  by Backshophoss

The GP38-H might be too tall,would need to relocate the Horn to the side of the long hood and flush mount the fan housings to fit.
When MN was formed,That was done to the B-23-7's that were brought over from CR to fit in GCT.
  by Uncle Cheapo

i personally witnessed the Fl9s being moved around in NH yard last week with a CDot engine. They were going up and down the Coalbridge. i have a crappy phone pic, but have no idea how to post it here.
  by DutchRailnut

yup and they put them back in bone yard .

The GP38-2 are ex GOtransit GP40TC units and are definitely to tall for park avenue tunnel .
  by DutchRailnut

my feeling is you will still see them in NH boneyard or on a CSX train with FICX reporting marks painted under cab side windows.
  by blockline4180

Yeah, although I hate to admit it and hate to agree with Dutch, but I just don't see how they will be able to use them, even as just cab cars.. Reality check is in order.. Unless of ofourse they can be completely rebuilt in 3 months time, but that can't be done in Albany..